2004 Toyota RAV4

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Owned for 8 years

by Short commuter from Dede | November 18, 2013

I have owned this cute compact suv for 8 years and haven't had any problems .. I've only had to replace brakes, tires, struts and shocks. Key fab doesn't work anymore but this car is super dependable. It picks up speed when merging onto highway and can pass a car without a problem. Tons of room inside for cargo, groceries, dogs and costco runs. I love this car and it is rated the best buy for 2004 used cars in consumer reports Great value, great resale and no issues

Great car for the money

by staceylouise from Lawrence, Kansas | July 29, 2013

Our family discovered that we still needed a "big" car and a small car when our kids got older and we traded the minivan for a sedan. We looked for SUV kind of cars, but many of them drove like trucks, which I did not want. Also, they got to be too big. We looked at older Honda CRV and Toyota RAV 4 and Subaru Forrester and Outback(people don't get rid of their Subaru's), but this was the best of the lot available. I would recommend this make and model to anybody.

RAV4 Great small SUV

by Used to Drive GM from Kentucky | April 4, 2012

The RAV4 drive well, not the quietest small suv on the market, but has plenty of power. Toyota needs to work on their interior style to catch GM and Ford. But the Rav4 makes up for their interior by supplying you with an automobile that doesnt need a transmission or electrical repair by 150,000 miles. Bottom line want a vehicle that goes 200,000 miles without major repair buy a Toyota.

My Second RAV

by Luv my RAV from Las Vegas, NV | January 23, 2011

I found an '04 RAV through cars.com; it was featured at a local dealership. It has a manual transmission and 4WD which was exactly what I was looking for. The miles were quite low at 50,000 and the car looked to be in great condition. There was some dirty marks in the interior , but the detail crew at the dealership took care of it. It is a comfortable ride, is good on gas mileage, and looks sharp. One quirk I've discovered about it: the clutch has to be fully depressed in order to start the vehicle. If it is as little as 1/4" variance, the car won't start. No problem since figuring out how sensitive the clutch can be. I'm really pleased with my purchase. Toyota makes a great vehicle in the RAV4; it is my second one. I still have my '98 at 217,000 miles and hope the '04 will be as reliable and worthy an investment.

Traveling

by Alex from Sacramento, CA | December 18, 2010

This car is beyond worth it. The stereo is amazing, the 4 cylinder has major performance, incredible reliability.

First Car I've Owned

by UTE/RAV4 ENTHUSIAST. from Queensland, AUS | March 9, 2010

I have just got my licence but my parents had bought me a Rav4 5speed manual, because I hate driving automatic I absolutely fell in love with it. I got really comfortable with driving my car, I wouldn't trade it for anything, oh maybe a Ute! but if I couldn't get a Ute I'd stick with the Rav4. I travel 140km each week 3-4days a week, and I'd say my car pretty fuel effient.

Great SUV

by Carguy from New York | May 2, 2009

This car is great for the money. It's an SUV but handles like a car. It gets MPG of an economy car. Haven't had a major repair problem since I bought it.

53 Years and 19 Cars, This is the BEST

by Joypebble from New York's Beautiful Hudson Valley | January 27, 2008

Almost unbelievable combination of quality, features economy and astounding reliability. I'm 6'5" tall drive 33,000 local and trans-continental miles a year in amazing comfort. Plenty of legroom-no cramps. I live up on a wintertime "ice mountain" and have no fear of the weather. After 125,000, my only mechanical failure was one rubber door jamb bumper that froze and pulled out when the temp dropped 36 degrees one night after a rain. (Cost: $2.45) That's the only mechanical failure. Toyota has engineered the ideal set of compromises into a versatile car that is worth on 25% less than the day I bought it four years ago. That's simply spooky. This car is a "keeper."

Best in Class and Best in Quality

by Toyota Fan from Lexington, Ma | April 17, 2007

I love my Rav4. I had a Jeep Wrangler, but I felt like I spent more time in the repair shop with it than on the road. I had major problems with the Jeep electrical system. The gas mileage and road noise in the Jeep was also horrible, so road trips were not enjoyable. I can't imagine driving any other car. I compared specs and considered the quality of this vehicle to others and the Rav4 wins hands down. Thank You Toyota!!

Toyota refused to backup their product

by Snowflower from Eureka, California | September 6, 2006

I did like the way the 5 speed manual tranmission performed, and the handling of the car. However, at 32 months old, while sitting in my drivewary during my lunch hour, the windshield cracked. 4 service technicians the very next day said it cracked due to factory defect. Toyota refused to replace the windshield. The service manager wrote the paperwork stating, "cracked do to heat". I live on the Northern California coast, where the high might be 63 degrees. I no longer own that car. This car also has 2 very bad blind spots.

Featured Services for this Toyota RAV4