2006 Toyota RAV4

Available in 12 styles:  2006 Toyota RAV4 4dr 4x4 shown

Overall

So far so good

by Commuter from Michigan | August 17, 2014

I traded a heavier SUV for the RAV4. I really wanted a car that got better gas mileage and so far I have not been disappointed. The only thing I don't like is that it has very slow pick up, especially when going up hill. I haven't had to drive it in snow yet, so that will be interesting, compared to the heavier SUV.

another reliable toyota

by suv has room for the famiily with awesome gas mile from houston | February 14, 2014

count on it for reliability and style with plenty of room in back seat. The ideal car for a family and super comfort for long trips. Luggage and leg room for all without a 3rd seat.

oil burner

by Joe L. vancouver canada from VANCOUVER B. C. CANADA | January 16, 2014

i bought my 2006 rav sport brand new and up until mycar had about 150,000 kilometers it used no oil between oil changes ,at 160,000 it used 2liters between change.When i mentioned this to the dealer,i was told this was normal. At 160.000K. I ONCE AGAIN spoke to my toyota service manager ..about the oil loss he asked me to bring car back in 2000 k,and he would measure the loss.Now my car burns 1 1/2 liters in 2000kilometers of driving. He told me he would send Toyota his report and advised me to phone them;I did ..I was told that burning this much oil was normal.Needless to say I will not buy another Toyota or recommend Toyota to anyone as a company to deal with.

Best car I've owned

by Yenkocamaro_1969 from Bradenton, FL | December 23, 2013

My 2006 Toyota Rav4 is going on 100k miles and I've only replaced the front struts and alternator. I've had several almost accident all at 80+ Mph and the Rav has what it takes for me to move, whether i have to accelerate or slam on the brakes. I have managed to lock up the brakes on one occasion but I was doing 80 in a 45. This car performs just as well if not better than my lowered 2004 Pontiac Grand Am did but with less maintenance.

Doesn't Live Up to Reputation

by CaseyLE from Dallas, TX | December 2, 2013

I bought a 2006 Toyota RAV4 as a certified used car in 2010. This car simply didn't live up to the Toyota reputation. I got the Sport version with leather interior and the interior was nice, I suppose, but just very drab and perfunctory. The exterior of the car looked pretty good, and I personally liked the side swinging rear door. I owned the car for 2 years and had to take it into the shop on 4 separate occasions, bad alternator, starter, engine missing, and timing adjustment. I just wasn't satisfied. I replaced my RAV4 with a BEAUTIFUL 2013 Toyota Camry XLE and I couldn't be happier with that car.

Toyota tried and true.

by Chelle2sweet from Northern Michigan | November 25, 2013

This is my 4th Toyota sand my first SUV. I actually traded my Camry in for the Rav4 because of my need for 4 wheel drive and higher ground clearance. I LOVED my Camry SE and find that the RAV4 Sport has all the same touches (Sliding sunroof, nice wheels, and interior). Moving from sunny California to Northern Michigan is the only reason I needed a new car. I took no chances I went with the value and reliability I have grown to know and trust. My sister has a RAV4 with almost 300K miles on it. When my 2004 Corolla Sport was totaled at 4 years old I received 3K more than owed on it. Those are reason enough.

Safest Car I've Ever Seen

by Whisper from Kentucky | April 14, 2013

Overall, it's a great car, but it really pulled its weight in a recent accident. My 17-year-old flipped the car three times going about 70 mph and landed on the driver's side in a ditch. The car was totaled, but thanks to seatbelts and side airbags, she walked out with barely a scratch. I would recommend this car to anyone.

Solid, Sporty, and Reliable

by CarJoe12 from Moscow, PA | December 5, 2012

This is my fist Rav. I would only purchase the 2006 and Newer because it considerably larger. It handles very well. I've already put about 7,000 miles on it and now have 87k. My mechanic called it a trade up and has told me this one will last forever! My combined gas mileage has been very close to 26 MPG.

indifferent

by prince Labigah from Abuja, Nigeria | November 22, 2012

i got the 2006 sport version two years ago it has a great stability on hard acceleration. great performence in general. however, i find it's noisy exhause unpleasant and the fuel comsumption is bad for a small car. The front shocks not durable. its has a poor take off due to bad fuel injecting.

Does the job admirably

by johnmce from Edmonton AB | September 2, 2012

My vehicle is: 2006 Rav4 V6 Sports 4WD made in Japan. Current mileage is 125,000, consisting of 50% interstate using cruise control, 25% other highways (mostly paved but some gravel), 20% urban, 5% off-road on wretched surfaces (requiring 1st gear, with some use of traction and descent controls). Does diverse jobs v. well: long distance touring, outdoors recreation and camping. Exceptional interior space in summer & winter. V. strong dealer support incl. Ottawa, Hull PQ, Edmonton, Santa Monica, and Mexico. While under warranting 2 of these dealers replaced equipment that was faulty that i was unaware of. The V6 engine is awesome, a real safety advantage when passing on 2-lane highways. Directional stability under hard acceleration initially caused some lateral instability, but with change of tire type the vehicle now runs consistently true under hard acceleration. The interior finish on the 2006 is somewhat austere, with a lot of hard plastic. Finally, others criticize the swinging rear door as "a problem". For me it does the job and frankly has never been a problem. Likewise the door mounted spare tire confers the advantage of liberating the depressed wheel well for storage of tools which is most useful on long touring trips.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)