2006 Toyota RAV4

Available in 12 styles:  2006 Toyota RAV4 4dr 4x4 shown

Overall

persistent issues

by 88Keys from Tennessee | March 17, 2015

Liked the features and comfort, storage, looks. Gas milieage mediocre at best in town and on highway, but persistent issues with rear wheel sensor failures (4 times in 4 years), error codes, and tendency for the fuel evaporative hose to dislodge when driving through standing water that splashes up behind left front wheel and knocks it out of canister. Also started burning oil excessively. Recall issued for oil burn, requiring oil change and monitor at dealership at 1300 miles after oil change. Dealer overfilled the oil by a full quart - imagine that. Not happy with Toyota quality and dealer shenanigans. Bought a Ford. Adios Toyota.

Long Term Owner - Love it!

by Cruizer Bill from Bellevue, WA | February 20, 2015

I bought the base model in Sept 2006 as a Certified Used with 8,000 miles on it. I have driven it 122,500 miles. Total maintenance costs have been $7,069, which I think is reasonable. I have had to replace the water pump, a rear shock and a seal on the transmission. Other than that, just replacing tires and normal brake work as they wear out from normal use. The SUV has been a dream to drive, it is laid out perfectly, has excellent cargo capacity, and is comfortable to drive all day. I have averaged 22 miles per gallon. The controls are almost perfectly arranged - all knobs and buttons are logical and well placed except for two things - the clock is small and awkwardly placed - can't normally see it. Also, the emergency warning light button is a long reach for the driver. One point I want to make is that if you are a bicyclist, this car is a dream - the major rack manufacturers make a bicycle mount that mounts over the spare tire. Have this professionally mounted and you don't even notice the bicycles there except by seeing them in the rear view mirror. Best bike mount ever. Overall, this vehicle has been a dream come true and the dealers says that if I continue to have them perform all the recommended maintenance, it should last to 200K miles. I would buy it again in an instant.

So far so good

by Commuter from Michigan | August 17, 2014

I traded a heavier SUV for the RAV4. I really wanted a car that got better gas mileage and so far I have not been disappointed. The only thing I don't like is that it has very slow pick up, especially when going up hill. I haven't had to drive it in snow yet, so that will be interesting, compared to the heavier SUV.

another reliable toyota

by suv has room for the famiily with awesome gas mile from houston | February 14, 2014

count on it for reliability and style with plenty of room in back seat. The ideal car for a family and super comfort for long trips. Luggage and leg room for all without a 3rd seat.

oil burner

by Joe L. vancouver canada from VANCOUVER B. C. CANADA | January 16, 2014

i bought my 2006 rav sport brand new and up until mycar had about 150,000 kilometers it used no oil between oil changes ,at 160,000 it used 2liters between change.When i mentioned this to the dealer,i was told this was normal. At 160.000K. I ONCE AGAIN spoke to my toyota service manager ..about the oil loss he asked me to bring car back in 2000 k,and he would measure the loss.Now my car burns 1 1/2 liters in 2000kilometers of driving. He told me he would send Toyota his report and advised me to phone them;I did ..I was told that burning this much oil was normal.Needless to say I will not buy another Toyota or recommend Toyota to anyone as a company to deal with.

Best car I've owned

by Yenkocamaro_1969 from Bradenton, FL | December 23, 2013

My 2006 Toyota Rav4 is going on 100k miles and I've only replaced the front struts and alternator. I've had several almost accident all at 80+ Mph and the Rav has what it takes for me to move, whether i have to accelerate or slam on the brakes. I have managed to lock up the brakes on one occasion but I was doing 80 in a 45. This car performs just as well if not better than my lowered 2004 Pontiac Grand Am did but with less maintenance.

Doesn't Live Up to Reputation

by CaseyLE from Dallas, TX | December 2, 2013

I bought a 2006 Toyota RAV4 as a certified used car in 2010. This car simply didn't live up to the Toyota reputation. I got the Sport version with leather interior and the interior was nice, I suppose, but just very drab and perfunctory. The exterior of the car looked pretty good, and I personally liked the side swinging rear door. I owned the car for 2 years and had to take it into the shop on 4 separate occasions, bad alternator, starter, engine missing, and timing adjustment. I just wasn't satisfied. I replaced my RAV4 with a BEAUTIFUL 2013 Toyota Camry XLE and I couldn't be happier with that car.

Toyota tried and true.

by Chelle2sweet from Northern Michigan | November 25, 2013

This is my 4th Toyota sand my first SUV. I actually traded my Camry in for the Rav4 because of my need for 4 wheel drive and higher ground clearance. I LOVED my Camry SE and find that the RAV4 Sport has all the same touches (Sliding sunroof, nice wheels, and interior). Moving from sunny California to Northern Michigan is the only reason I needed a new car. I took no chances I went with the value and reliability I have grown to know and trust. My sister has a RAV4 with almost 300K miles on it. When my 2004 Corolla Sport was totaled at 4 years old I received 3K more than owed on it. Those are reason enough.

Safest Car I've Ever Seen

by Whisper from Kentucky | April 14, 2013

Overall, it's a great car, but it really pulled its weight in a recent accident. My 17-year-old flipped the car three times going about 70 mph and landed on the driver's side in a ditch. The car was totaled, but thanks to seatbelts and side airbags, she walked out with barely a scratch. I would recommend this car to anyone.

Solid, Sporty, and Reliable

by CarJoe12 from Moscow, PA | December 5, 2012

This is my fist Rav. I would only purchase the 2006 and Newer because it considerably larger. It handles very well. I've already put about 7,000 miles on it and now have 87k. My mechanic called it a trade up and has told me this one will last forever! My combined gas mileage has been very close to 26 MPG.