2013 Toyota RAV4

Available in 6 styles:  2013 Toyota RAV4 4dr AWD shown

Overall

Road noise and Yokahama tires

by Third Toyota Woner from Norfolk, VA. | June 29, 2015

I ha d 31 X 10.50 tires on my 94 pick-up that were quieter than the Yokohamas that came on my 2013 RAV4 XLE. These tires are the noisiest I ever owned with the exception of a set of Generals. When I hit even slightly rough road these tire are so loud I can't even hear the radio. Get a set a set of Michelin's as fast as you can. The only other problem is that the large side panels are easily marred in parking lots. The vehicle needs side bumpers so that it doesn't look beat up in a very few years. I fixed the glare on the interior backup screen by cutting a stiff piece of thin foam board around the top and sides. It isn't pretty but serves it's purpose. All else considered I get great mileage 32.3 and putting it in sport mode to merge on the interstate is a thrill for the day. A very good vehicle that I would recommend, I'm still a Toyota fan just wish it came with quieter tires.

Love. This. Vehicle!

by New to Toyota from Meridian, MS | May 6, 2015

I just purchased my new (used) Rav 4 and I love it! It corners like it's glued to the road. The drive is so comfortable and even my 6' 2" husband can sit very comfortably in the back seat! It's a dream.

Enjoying the RAV4 Limited

by Sportfit from Stone Ridge, VA | February 11, 2015

I've been very impressed with the vehicle so far. I came from an Acura RDX, which cost considerably more, but didn't offer any more features than the RAV4 Limited - and guzzled premium gas at 20 mpg. Although the Acura was more powerful, the RAV has plenty of pickup for all daily and highway driving. Pop it into Sport mode, and you get even quicker acceleration; or maximize your mileage in Eco mode - I average 25 mpg (about 60% city). I tested this SUV against the Mazda CX-5: although the Mazda may have been slightly sportier to drive (but not much), it fell way short of the RAV4 inside. The RAV is much more comfortable, roomy, and has all the luxury features (Nav, Bluetooth, etc.) that the RDX had. I love the two-tone Terra Cotta interior. On the road, the ride is a nice balance between firm and shock-absorbing; it's not a Lexus, but it's quiet enough to make hands-free calls or listen to music (without blasting), and it handles all bumps smoothly. The sound system is quite good, and the navigation is adequate, though it has trouble finding points of interest. At 23,000 miles, I've had only two very minor issues: the rear hatch auto-opening mechanism (which I LOVE) had to be replaced (under warranty) when it failed, and the dashboard has started to rattle/squeak just a little, but only when the weather is below freezing. Unless the car falls apart, I expect to be happy with the RAV for years to come.

Not much to brag about here

by adwizard from wisconsin | January 9, 2015

There's not much I can say about the Toyota Rav4 LE except that it's a Toyota... which might mean a lot down the road. But for now, I'm not impressed. In fact, the 2013 Rav4 LE is really more irritating to me than anything else. There are features (or a lack of features) that are downright mystifying. When in park, the car rolls forwards or backwards for a greater distance than any other car I've owned. I haven't a clue why, except be careful that there's nobody behind you or in front of you when you put it in park. Otherwise, their toes might get squished. The plastic panels along the bottom of the front doors allow for all kinds of debris, dirt, snow and grime to enter the car's lower door interior. Again, why? What on earth were the engineers thinking when they added this lower door extension with a plastic shroud? The "spoiler" in the back just prevents your car from getting cleaned when in a car wash. Speaking of car washes, if you don't have a roof rack, watch out; the roof rack channel trim has a tendency to "pop" lose when going through the car wash's blow dryer. It happened to me twice.Toyota has no recommended solution for this. I have a black interior. Which makes it extremely difficult to see the door handles and window and door lock buttons in the dark. Buttons are not backlit for the most part when the headlights are on. The auto window feature for the driver's side works when putting the window down -- but why not a one-touch feature for putting the window back up? What's the point of that? Very deceiving are the windshield wipers. On the turn signal, Toyota shows "INT" for intermittent wipers. In reality, there's nothing intermittent about the wipers at all. They turn on for slow speed or fast speed. Or not at all. That's it. They are not variable timing wiper blades. What car made today does not have this as a standard feature? This is 20 year old technology. I guess the answer is Toyota. Unbelievable. How cheap can you be? Although the interior looks refined, it's cheap and is prone to scratches and I suspect poor longevity. I had a stain on the silver rim of the air vent. When I went to wip the stain off with my licked finger... the silver paint came off!! Either I have the most caustic saliva known to man or Toyota is using the cheapest silver spray paint in the world. I'm going with the latter. The muffler or tailpipe rattles in idle making it sound like you have an exhaust leak. The brakes squeak when going in reverse. Cheap rotors? The engine is noisy. The undercarriage sound proofing is deafening... deafeningly loud. The heater / AC fan barely blows out anything in positions one and two. The doors feel lightweight and cheap. The salesman said "Hey, you gotta shave back on something in order to get better mileage." The transmission is an oxymoron. Why would you need a six speed auto transmission for a 4 cylinder car? How much gas savings can that really bring? As a six speed transmission, it always feels like the car doesn't know what gear to be in. As a driver, I feel like the transmission might go at any minute becauseof the way the transmission behaves. Very perplexing -- and as I said previously, irritating. I could go on and on about the irritating features this car has but I'm winded from complaining. If ten years from now I enjoy a trouble-free experience with this car, I'll overlook its idiosyncrasies, but until then I'm forced to live with these "irritating" features.

Lacks basic features

by Retired snowbird from Ontario Canada | October 29, 2014

Toyota has gone cheap on this SUV. We have the SLE with Nav package. It is very hard to see on a bright day and very limited in information provided. Back-up camera is next to useless and gets blurred if it is raining. We spend 5 months a year in the US and our Canadian model has no way to switch from Kilometres to miles also the GPS does not give a speed read out. There is no DC power outlet for a cooler in the back seat. We went from a 10 year old SUV to this and don't find it has as many features.

2013 Rav4

by Snowbunny from Essex, VT | October 22, 2014

I'm enjoying this car. I've had RAV 4 in the past and I'm having a great time in this one. Added features off the power moonroof, fog lights,led screen miles analysis, control heating and the added 4 wheel drive feature is great. Now I have all wheel drive and 4 wheel drive in the same vehicle. The backup camera is great. The Sport mode and Eco mode also gives 2 options of control. I'm happy finally to get back into a SUV.

Went from a Mustang to the Rav4 and LOVING it!!

by Work Car from Loxahatchee Florida | October 3, 2014

I bought my Rav4 brand new in the end of year sales December 27th and got a great deal on the price. I get 27.3 miles per gallon and I am at times very heavy on the gas. I have put just over 16,000 miles as this is a work vehicle for me and it still runs like the first day!! When I am on the road whether its highway or city the noise is very quiet compared to having a mustang before this!! The inside plastic is a little easy to scratch and I don't like having cloth on the door where you will be touching a lot but its a car not a house. I love the back up camera, cruise control and bluetooth! Three things that don't come standard on all vehicles in its category. This car also does great in very heavy rain where roads are flooded! I wouldn't have even know I was driving on a flooded road if the water wasn't spraying everywhere!! It did GREAT!! I do wish that the windshield wipers had more than slow, fast and faster but its just a pet peeve of mine and I can get over it. Tons of legroom in the back! Love that the back seats recline too! All around this vehicle is great!!

Wish I had not bought it...

by dnr from Louisiana | September 7, 2014

I waited 7 years for a new vehicle and had my heart set on the Rav-4 or the Honda CRV. We went with the 2013 Rav-4, I loved the look of it. Had I known then what I know now, I would have never bought it. At the test drive, I noticed all of the hard plastic inside, but did not realize how cheap it made the interior. Within 4 weeks we had an issue with the driver's door. We were told the "welds" had all come loose and a new door was ordered from Canada. Then parts of the roof rack came off, we went back to the dealer and had that replaced. A month or so later, the same parts came off the roof rack again! We never used the roof rack. My vehicle was white, my 4th white vehicle, under every door handle, under the gas tank door and under the two mirrors, each time it rained, black drip marks went down the entire vehicle at each of these places. Needless to say, at 4200 miles, I was done. I traded the vehicle in. We have a 2000 Toyota Sienna and the quality of that vehicle is so much better than the 2013 Rav-4. The vehicle I had seemed to be cheaply made, and it was not a cheap vehicle. This was our 4th Toyota, it will probably be our last.

2013 Toyota RAV4 XLE

by Kat from Maryland | July 20, 2014

Might be a little soon for this, but since the car is a 2013 model and it's July 2014 it's probably a good time since I'm now the second owner of this car. I purchased the TRav over the 4th of July just before my vacation to the ocean. After a 3 hour drive there, local Ocean City driving, and 3 hours back, I'm puzzled as to why the previous owner didn't keep the vehicle. Fun to drive; carried hubby and three teens around for a week or so and no complaints. Hubby has mostly all positive things to say also. Plenty of rear seat leg room and storage in the rear, and boy did we have it loaded down. Tks Toyota for the large side mirrors. Whoever thought of their size considered people like us that have the rear stuffed to the roof and no rear view mirror visibility. I was able to compensate just fine, and plan to purchase a roof rack. Believe me this isn't a knock to the TRav, but just an idea of what we packed. ENGINE: Performance for a 4-banger is excellent. There's enough engine and transmission options (ECO boost, Sport, and the neat Standard/Auto shifting) to make me feel that I've got enough options for all driving situations, and believe me I've used them so far. It's got some serious pep and delivers quickly. Gas mileage appears to be as advertised, but I'll probably be able to extend that carpooling back and forth from work since it's mostly highway. Soooo much better than my previous vehicle. TECHNOLOGY: Ok, this will be short from me since that wasn't much of a concern during purchase (Yeah, I'm in my early 50s - it shows). Love the back up camera, awesome bluetooth, excellent audio system, and hookups for iPODs, teenager gizmos, etc. Did I mention I love the bluetooth. Never thought I'd hear myself say that. ISSUES: Lack of lumbar support for cloth seats - Hubby has back issues so he's sensitive about this. See light color under scratches in red paint, but I plan to touch up and I'm very good at that sort of thing, so don't expect it to be a big problem. 4 stars for value for the money and reliability since that would depend on how trouble free the Rav will be in the future. Given the history of the Rav I'm hoping it will warrant 5 stars in a couple of years :) Additional PLUSES: Love how Toyota has the bottom of the body covered with the plastic and integrated into the bumpers. Figure I'll need that additional protection if we have another winter full of Polar Vortexes. Thought the dash design (bump out area to the glove box) was a bit odd at first, but after traveling around I've warmed up to it because it makes fiddling with the buttons easier. Lot's of additional hidden storage for tools and space around the spare tire for additional things. I'm a chick that likes her tools. All in all, I'm very happy with this vehicle and would recommend to a friend. Almost seems as though it was made just for me :)

Average vehicle

by Doc from Atlanta, GA | June 24, 2014

We had a 2007 highlander, great car was a hybrid and got 28mpg consistently. The 2013 Rav 4 has great looks but it stops there. It's noisy, clunky ride and worst of all overstated mileage by toyota. We have coasted, drove flat roads, been very light on the gas and the best we get is 24.1 on highway and 22.4 in town in easy suburban driving. Had 4 toyotas, 2 highlanders, camray and this is the most disappointing mileage. Would not recommend.