2004 Toyota Sequoia

Available in 4 styles:  2004 Toyota Sequoia 4x4 shown

14 city / 17–18 hwy

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Sequoia - long term reliability is great

by altos from NORCAL | April 16, 2012

I bought a 2004 Sequoia SR5, 4WD, with 110,000 miles on it. I have put on another 70,000. Not one single problem. It's nice to drive, good in the snow, can carry 7, has all the power anyone would rationally need and get 17.6 MPG with 65% freeway, 35% in town. I would like to get a CR-V but, even at $4.25/gal, it's hard to justify the cost when the Toyota just keeeeeeps running.

Original Owner, 145k Miles

by Head to the Mountains from Philadelphia | January 28, 2012

This was our very first Toyota purchase, but our 3rd SUV. After disastrous experiences with a 1998 Chevy Suburban (which only had 45k miles on it) we bought the 2004 Sequoia SR5. This has been, by far, the most reliable and inexpensive car or SUV that we've ever owned for maintenance (I bought my first new car in 1987). Not only can this truck haul easily, but it handles any road conditions with ease. The traction control works very well, but put it in 4WD and you can easily navigate snowcovered highways in New Hampshire and Vermont. We have NEVER experienced a 'breakdown' in this truck. As part of the scheduled maintenance program, we replaced the timing belt/water pump at 95k miles & had the transmission flushed. The only 'suprise' repairs have been an exhaust gasket at 75k (but let's face it, they don't last forever), and both front sway bars at 125K miles but we travel from PA to NH and Vermont regularly for ski trips, in any type of weather (frost heaves will cause suspension issues). That's it folks, nothing more. If you perform the suggested, regular maintenance and drive it like a SUV and NOT like a NASCAR DRIVER, this truck will cost you practically nothing to maintain. Regarding the MPG, again its a V8 so you cannot complain about low mileage; HOWEVER, driving this truck reasonably has gotten me 17-18 MPG around town/21-23 MPG on the highway. If you're heavy on the gas/brakes then your MPG will drop drastically to 13-14 MPG around town/16-18MPG on the highway (I see it when my teenagers drive it). I expect to be driving our Sequoia until it hits 200k miles, and with relatively low maintenance issues. And, I may even buy another 2004 SR5 (of course I'll be looking for one that has been well cared for) with lower miles to replace it. **I reviewed this truck in November of 2009 -- and it's still going strong!**

Nicest vehicle I've owned

by Kalico from Veedersburg, IN | May 13, 2011

I love my Sequoia! It has tons of room & very comfortable. The only con I can think of is that you have to use the remote control to use the DVD player. I wish it was more user-friendly. Other than that, it's great!

Great SUV - Family with 5 Kids

by At the Slopes from Philadelphia | November 17, 2009

We've had some relatively minor issues in the grand scheme of things: a head gasket needed replacement at 75k miles, control arms at 90k. As a matter of regular maintenance, we had the timing belt/water pump changed at 95k miles (I believe that Toyota recommended it at 100k miles but we don't like leaving things to chance. We've always provided regular oil changes and maintenance - just rolled the odometer at 100k miles and the engine seems to be running strong. As far as performance in the snow ... fantastic! We travel to New Hampshire often since our boys are involved in competitive snowboarding. We're from Philadelphia BUT always felt safe & in control while driving in the snow.

I love this truck!

by JJx2 from New Jersey | May 24, 2007

I have owned this truck for over 3 years & never had a problem. It's comfortable & handles great! It drives like a luxury car. It's a little large for the day to day errands, but when hauling people or cargo, space has never been a problem!

I will miss my Sequoia

by R T from Raleigh, NC | February 11, 2007

Excellent family vehicle. Commands the road with lots of power and easy driveability. Drove it for 3 years without a single mechanical issue. Best vehicle I have ever owned.

Nicest car I've ever owned

by Mommy from Connecticut | November 17, 2006

I bought this truck used and I have to say it's a beast, I have two kids and the room is great and it handles excellent, you would never know your in such a large vehicle. Gas mileage isn't great, but of course you have a V8, so we chose this type of gas eater. But I can't wait to see how it handles in the snow, the options are nice, I really like it.

This is the best big SUV there is right now

by Boat puller from Tampa | June 21, 2006

This SUV handles and drives like a sedan. You have to remember what you are in as you look down on folks in smaller cars. Economy is not great but much better than the domestics . I am getting 18 MPG.

Featured Services for this Toyota Sequoia