2005 Toyota Sequoia

15 city / 18 hwy

Overall

My 2005 sequoia

by Outdoor enthusiast. from Lakeville, MN. | October 21, 2013

Big beautiful SUV. Plenty of power, and plenty of comfort. There will be no problem towing my boat or snowmobiles with this beauty. Nothing bad to say about it so far after a month of driving. Definitely not a fuel miser but then again if your buying something this big and powerful you know that going in, nonetheless I can pull 18 going to and from work and 15.6 in the city. Test drove a lot of vehicles but this one stood out for leg room and overall comfort and quality. When I decide to replace this in a few years, I'll be looking for another one.

2005 and 2012 sequoia

by 3rd Sequoia from Colorado Mountains | October 20, 2013

Used to own a 2005 Limited sequoia 4x4, went to a 2012 Sequoia 4x 4, sold it and got another 2005 Sequoia. I do a lot of off pavement driving here in the Colorado mountains, the newer sequoias are too big and not as good off road, kept bottoming out on rocks, in 2005 sequoias got a considerable bump up in horse power, has no problem uphill over mountain passes, seating comfortably 8 passengers and very capable off road, clears most obstacles, the wheel base isn't too long either which helps also and not too wide for those narrow passages. Those V8's are very well built and easy to do an oil change, my son had a tundra (same engine) with 200k miles, did not consume oil and was dry (no leaks)! Very stable on the highway, good off road/ snow, seats 8, back window rolls down, excellent AC/HEAT, air bags everywhere and crash safe, easy to parallel park. RELIABLE!

2005 Toyota Sequoia

by KapnRon from Simpsonville, SC | July 29, 2013

After 150,000 miles and 8 years of age the Sequoia still performs outstandingly! Best air-conditioning - very important in the south. All mechanical components still work except the remote control mirrors. Mirror motors are a weak point and quite expensive to repair.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Best vehicle I've ever owned.

by riversongwriter from Orange county California | April 22, 2013

The ONLY thing I would change would be the "non-folding" seats. Other than that, it's the very best of the Toyota line, and it was made in Indiana. It's GREAT off road vehicle, completely reliable, very comfortable, great sound system, decent milage for large "truck." I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

Uses car for Off-roading

Done with Toyotas, maybe...

by Out West from CO | March 5, 2012

Bought my '05 Limited with from a friend who took excellent care of it, sold it to me only 3 months ago with only 60k mi on it because he wanted a brand new one. My previous truck was an awesome '89 4Runner that had close to 300k mi on it and never a problem, so I figured I'd stick with Toy... Good: Very comfortable, tons of legroom, lots of storage room, smooth ride, and it does not feel like I am driving a large SUV; great turning radius and feels nimble. My mechanic gave it a clean bill of health, but 2 months later... Bad: Underpowered. Despite what everyone else says about their power, I live at 6,000 ft elevation, have driven it to sea level, and it just feels anemic no matter where/how I drive it. No matter how hard I put my foot on the accelerator, it seems to have a mind of its own, accelerating slower than my grandma used to. At 66k mi, I noticed an oil drip, took it in for an oil change and discovered that the steering seals were shot! Of course Toyota refused any sort of coverage/responsibility. My warranty ran out 6,000 miles ago, too bad for me acc. to Toyota. So $1200 later, I am wondering what will go wrong next. Speaking of, the servos which shift into/out of 4WD seem slow and clunky to react, making me wonder how soon they will fail, or if they are really all switching correctly. They take a long time to engage and disengage. It certainly feels like one of the front wheels is dragging when I turn sharp on dry pavement when supposedly in 2WD. DVD/Nav system: despite the previous owner keeping it up to date, the GPS can't find anything I try to type in, even if I just use an address, and the Aux input in the rear seat DVD player does not work, won’t even give us an option for selecting it as an input. Toyota wants $100 for a CD to update the GPS every year! I could put in a better GPS/Sound system for the price of 3 years of updates. The 120v plug in the rear seat is set next to a plastic "shoulder trim" on the center console, so 99% of the items my kids try to plug into it won't fit. I think I am going to sell this SUV before something goes wrong, before I reach 70k mi (or next month). I MIGHT consider a Tacoma at some point in the future, but for now, I am DONE with Toyotas and sorely disappointed their quality has fallen so far.

Good value

by MO99 from Syracuse, NY | November 19, 2011

We love the interior size of the Sequoia. Great turning radius and tons of power. It is just enough size on the inside without being too big. Lots of head room. We also love the leg room at all 3 rows. No one is left feeling cramped. The only negative is the gas mileage, but you know that going into the purchase. Definitely worth the cost for us.

Would never buy any SUV but a Toyota.

by G-Man from Pittsburgh | September 9, 2011

We have owned 3 Toyota 4-Runners and this is our first Sequoia over the past 20 years. The 4-Runners all made it over 250,000 miles with few repairs. My wife survived a major 3 car crash and she was the only one to "just walk away" because she was in her 4-Runner. We are the proud owners of a 2000 4-Runner with 256,000 miles (my 16 year old son drives) and a 2005 Toyota Sequoa with 90,000 miles and have nothing but praise for Toyota. If you want quality, comfort and style buy a Toyota SUV. If you are a tree hugger who is concerned about gas prices, don't buy a Toyota SUV. 10 - 11 MPG and that is highway. We do have 3 other vehicles Mercedes 560, Ford 350-Super Duty (Duly) and Ford 250-Super Duty

Love my 2005 Sequoia

by SUV Mom from Los Angeles, CA | March 4, 2009

I bought a Certified Preowned Sequoia SR5 and simply love the handling, comfort and look of this SUV. I got a really good deal because people were trying to dump their gas guzzlers, but my family wanted a 3rd car to accommodate all the kids' teenage friends. I enjoy driving this car because it is very smooth (compared to my Ford Explorer) and I am able to have conversations with the back in the quiet cabin. The sliding rear window in the back is also a plus allowing us to put things in the vehicle without having to lift the whole door. Love the controls and easy access.

Great SUV

by Sequoia Fan from Tennessee | June 27, 2008

I Love everything about this SUV, NO complaints!! I wish all SUV's were this nice right off the lot. Gas mileage is by far better than most SUV's. The comfort is uncomparible!! If there is a feature that this ride is missing, then you apparently don't need it anyway.

Excellent vehicle

by New SUV owner from Richlands, VA | December 19, 2007

After test driving several large slightly used SUV's the Sequoia blew the others out of the water. The Suburban, Expedition and Armada were not only out classed but for the most part over priced. The Toyota's power, ride, features and overall experience sold us instantly. Our growing family absolutley loves the new to us Toyota.

Featured Services for this Toyota Sequoia