2002 Toyota Sienna

19 city / 24 hwy

Overall

2002 Sienna at 235000 miles

by Mossfish from Bonita CA | February 25, 2014

The 2002 year has issues the other years don't so much. Example the transmission isn't expected to be as reliable as other years and the dealer replaced it for free, thank God, at 98,000 miles. The dealer knew about this issue but I had to insist that it wasn't right and they finally took me serious and checked it again. They said oh it's one of those and straight out replaced it. The dealer will diagnose the ECM as bad when they can't fix the smog problems in CA. The ECM costs $1576.00 and will not fix the problem, it is usually a $50 part that you can replace yourself. My VVT sprocket just fell off and that's what I'm working on now. Don't wait like the dealer told me. take the VVT parts off and clean them at 150,000 miles. The Sienna salvage shop in Chula Vista CA that only does Sienna's calls the 2002 model the expensive year. Get a Sienna with the 3.5L engine, that is supposed to have all the bugs worked out.

Quality vehicle

by Freddie from Arizona | April 18, 2013

Consider this vehicle if you want extra room, excellent seating, comfort. Performance is just enough. Gas mileage is fair, not great. One power sliding door drives me crazy. Old school design by Toyota. Very reliable with minimum maintenance. A great mini-van for a family that wants Toyota quality at a value price.

Best Minivan I have owned

by Hi from New York | October 9, 2011

I love my 2002 Toyota Sienna XLE.Have had it for 4 years and has been the most reliable vehicle owned.Also own a honda odyssey 2002 and chrysler town and country and even though the odyssey and town and country are bigger than the sienna the sienna is more reliable and has had least problems out of all of them. And has the best fuel economy.My sienna has power sunroof,power sliding doors and leather seats with trim wood on the dashboard.

Reliable car

by Sienna owner from chicago, IL | February 15, 2011

I traded my 2006 corolla for a 2002 Sienna with 74 K on it. It has been a great and a positive deal for us. Gas mileage can be better 18-19 miles/gal, but overall the ride quality and ease of operation has been great

140,000 and going strong

by Toyota fan from Atlanta | October 23, 2010

I bought my 2002 Sienna new and it has been a super reliable van. The only thing we have replaced has been brakes (got 70,000 off the originals) tires, battery (once) and the air intake control. That's it. My only complaint about it has been the interior is somewhat prone to breaking. The door button sticks all the time. The rear window came unglued and was falling off. The dealer wanted hundreds of dollars to install a new one, but I had a windshield repair man reglue it. It's fine now. Oh, we did have to replace two of the exterior door handles, as we were in -0 temp. and my husband decided to keep squeezing on them until they broke.

good van with quirks

by mommys sienna from Owingsville, KY | September 24, 2010

I bought this car used froma dealership a few months ago. One a whole, a great van. However, there are a couple of design flaws. the brakes make a squeaking noise when you are completing a stop. The brakes work fine but if you want the noise to stop you have to replace the brake system, etc ($400). Also, there is now a recall on the carrier for the spare tire. It has been recalled but the parts are not available for the repair so I have to keep the spare tire in the back of the van which takes up space. Not a big deal just a little inconvenient.

First Minivan

by No Car Note from Chicago, IL | June 11, 2010

My wife and I needed to upgrade to a larger vehicle for our growing family. The Toyota Sienna 2002 is a pretty decent ride. The gas mileage is good although coming from a Chevy Cobalt its a slight adjustment. We've had some minor issues thus far as we've only had it since April 2010. Its a good vehicle overall thus far.

Reliable van

by Mom from Cullman,Al | December 21, 2009

We love the comfort and style of this vehicle, however both automatic doors broke the weekend we bought the van, very disappointed in that mostly because the doors while turned off are very heavy and older ones and children can not opperate them.......No, I would not buy another if this is a possibility.

Would not recommend

by Catbird from Berlin, WI | December 7, 2009

Up until 100,000 miles,we were pleased with this mini-van (m.p.g. comfort,features, and handling) Between 100,000 and 116,000 miles however, we had to install a new engine computer, two new oxygen sensors, and a new catalytic converter at a cost of $3,700!! So much for the alleged reliabilty of Toyota...!

"Score" One For The Family!

by soccer mom from Minneapolis | April 25, 2009

This has been a great car over the years for my family. There's ample room to carry cargo and/or kids. I have 53,000 miles on my van and so far no extra cost besides usual maintenance. My van starts on the coldest winter mornings, too! My van is equipped with the video entertainment system too. You may also use a DVD on the system if you have a portable DVD device to attach. The media capability of this van has been an absolute LIFESAVER on those long road trips to Grandma's house. I have leather seats and a sunroof as well. I would highly recommend this van to anyone! (This is the third Toyota we've owned and we've loved them all!) (My only 4-star rating is because of the two-tone paint job. The lower panel around the bottom is painted in a constrasting "sand" color. I would have preferred it to be all one body color but they said it wasn't available in that year's model. Otherwise, all other exterior detailing is great!)

Featured Services for this Toyota Sienna