1999 Toyota Tacoma

See Photos & Videos

Overall

You cannot go wrong!!!

by Tacoma lover from dallas | October 1, 2012

I purchased this truck (sr5, v6, 4wd, x cab) used with 32k. I currently have 141k. I have replaced struts, shocks, hoses, water pump, timing belt, and recently a starter. The starter was the only thing that I was a little disappointed in having to replace. Not too bad with that many miles. The other items wear out typically sooner on the vehicle that I have previously owned. I typically get around 19 mpg and the best was 23 on a long hunting trip. Everything still works flawlessly. Looking for a 2013 because I need a bigger cab for kids. Otherwise, I would not get rid of it.

Most Reliable

by Owner from San Diego, Ca | March 26, 2012

I bought our 1999 2.7 5-speed manual, X-cab 4x4 new. Current milege 153,000. Excluding tires and batteries, oil changes and normal service, I've spent less than $2,000 on parts. Front brakes lasted 93 k, rear brakes are original with 4mm remaining at its 150K service. The white paint is as shiny as new. We use in to explore the desert in So Calif and running errands since I retired two years ago. Since I don't like the body style of the 2006 forward I will probably keep it until it or I die.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Hard to beat

by Yosamite Sam from SF | July 16, 2011

These are bullit proof trucks. I've owned tacpma's sense 1981 and have had only great service and reliability from these trucks with only very minor issues.

Toyota Tacoma

by caroftheday from | May 11, 2011

Excellent Truck, recomend to everybody. Next time again I will consider to buy Tacoma it last long and reliable.

Owned 98 and 99 TRD PreRunners

by bnaction from Phoenix, AZ | February 17, 2011

Have never had an issue. Great reliability and love the look of the truck. 4x4 look w/ 2wd insurance

wrong picture

by sad customer from | October 18, 2010

This picture is not the truck that is for sale be very care ful what you buy. Read the fine print. It says its a regular cab and in the picture its extended cab, it says bench seats in the picture its bucket seats. Just becareful we all work hard for our money..

Wouldn't Buy Any Other Truck

by Popeye from Florida | June 7, 2010

We have Tacoma 2.7ltr 4x4s at all our company offices. From day one they are heavily tasked to pull 3k lb trailers across all terrains and interstates. Wouldn't have any other vehicle. To bad Toyota changed this excellant truck. After 175k miles we retire them. Employees stand in line to buy these from us. I drive a 99 with 220,000 on it and love it. Still gets 23 mpg in thg city. Frequently tasked to pull my son and friends Jeeps out of the rough stuff.

Truck

by Owner from | April 28, 2010

The truck has 186K miles on it> Its in real good shape. Keyless entry all electric and everything works. Truck is black.

Found My Dream Truck

by BassetHoundTrucker from Marysville, Washington | February 22, 2010

Looked over 6 months for this Tacoma truck. Lucked out and found this near perfect model and year. Drives well except for a little too much flexibility probably due to its number of miles and years on the road. I love the length of the bed and the color green. The 4-wheel drive will come in handy in the snow, still has great power with the 6-cylinders and perfect automatic transmission for this mature female driver. I found my dream truck off the beaten path. Would recommend it to anyone needing a small truck for general home use.

Toughest Truck I've owned!

by Mr. RB from Arizona | August 1, 2009

Of the 5 trucks and over a dozen cars (all various brands) I've owned, this extended cab 4x4 V6 5sd stick, is by far the toughest vehicle I've owned! I now have over 200K and the only things I've done other than normal maintenance/wear items like timing belt, struts/shocks, fluids/filters, tires, brakes, batteries (4) and plugs/wires are the springs (front and rear) and starter at about 110K. I get normally get 19 to 23mpg, over 65mph or loaded, mileage is considerably reduced. The power is OK for every day driving but once there is any type of load it works very hard to keep up. With a head wind and a slight incline on the interstate it is sometimes hard to stay above the minimum speed limit with a loaded trailer! However, the truck is very stable with all loads and all conditions. The 4wd system is one of the best! Nothing has stopped this truck; under rivers, over boulder mountains, 26" of snow or mud as deep as the grill! On the down side the turning radius is excessive. The interior is spartan, but laid out and works well. At 6'2" there is good room, but the seats offer no lumbar support. I've had the AC blow 38F degrees at 116F Phoenix heat! The only other down side about this truck is the body metal is very thin and dents easy. I've test drove new Tacomas/Tundras but do not like the interiors and all the extra useless plastic. I will wait another 100K for Toyota to build real truck again. I have had other trucks make it to 200K but were sold for junk, this truck is still in good shape and next week I will be towing a trailer from CA to ME and back with no mechanical worries.

Featured Services for this Toyota Tacoma