2001 Toyota Tacoma

Available in 12 styles:  2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Xtracab 121.9" WB shown

Overall

280,000 miles

by Phil from Central Alabama | March 4, 2014

I purchased this truck new. It was a "leftover" right after the 02 models came out and is my 8th Toyota truck, going back to the 1975 model I purchased new. So far we have experienced no issues with this truck, no even alternators or clutch. More power would be nice but if you are willing to shift gears, it is adequate and the gas mileage consistency runs around 24.9 mpg. Paint has faded and it will be necessary to repaint soon. Other than that, I expect this truck to go at least another 100K and at that time is will be flat worn out and more valuable for salvage parts. Current mileage is 280,000.

2001 Toyota S-Runner 185,000 miles

by S-Runner from Poconos, Pa | March 9, 2013

After 5 months of searching for the exclusive "S-Runner" Tacoma, I found only 7 were for sale in the whole USA. I bought mine from a dealer in W.Virginia over 200 miles from me. It had 169,000 miles on it. Bought it for $8K in 2009. Great deal! The S-Runner comes fully loaded with a V-6, manual trans and 2-wheel drive. This is how they came, not many options. Even the colors available,,, black or red. No chrome to be found anywhere. These were built for "Sport". They handle extremely well, except for right hand tight turns,,, it likes to smoke the right rear tire. I wish they all came with a limited slip differential (LSD). Shortly after purchasing it. they recalled it and replaced the frame and plenty of hardwear too. My old 1987 Toyota extra cab 2-wheel drive truck rusted out too much for the road, so I gave it to a friend to use on his farm. I owned that truck for 14 years and it NEVER let me down. That is why I wanted another sporty truck such as this. So far, so good. I just replaced the timing belt, pully's, water pump, hoses and belts. So this will last another 90K miles before it will need any major work. I run this truck very hard. Will have to upgrade to drilled rotors, performance pads and stainless steel lines for better stopping power. It handles awesomely around turns. It does not like snow, or even much wet pavement. Not for off road at all. It is a street machine. Been getting about 20 MPG, even at sustained highway speeds. Was thinking about selling it for a 4x4, but I really like this S-Runner. It is a rare vehicle. And that makes me like it even more! I do all the work on all of my vehicles. A tip for the do it yourselfer: for doing the timing belt/water pump, remove all of the belt tensioners and use solvent to clean all the threads and use anti-seize compound on them! My A/C tensioner was froze, and what a pain it was. Conclusion: Great fun and dependable truck. I would buy it again in a heartbeat! It retails now for over $7K privately and dealer would sell for $8,755 according to cars.com. First thing I'd do is get a LSD in the rear! I did upgrade to a K&N air intake system as well as a full exhaust system . Hope this helps you in your search!

Good Solid Vehicle

by dgrah from Bishop, California | September 1, 2012

This truck replaced an older Toyota truck and it has done that very well. The truck has less than 100,000 miles and with those miles is essentially like new. It gets in the low 20's of miles per gallon with the 3.4 liter V6. Is comfortable at highway speeds on steep mountain grades where I live and easily pulls a cabin sailboat. It had a factory radio which I replaced with a more capable more modern model. I often use the back seats in my extended cab and, although not luxurious, they have been comfortable for the passengers that had ridden there. At this age and miles all the electric doors and windows work perfectly. I am very happy with this truck and expect to keep in for many years.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

There is no other vehicle I would own.

by Tom from Southwestern Michigan | September 19, 2011

This is my second Tacoma. My last one was a 1998 which I bought new. The only thing wrong with that truck is the frame rusted out at 200,000 miles. Toyota Motor Co. realized Tacoma's frames were prone to rust so they offer a 15 year warranty on them. Who else has done this? Toyota bought my truck back for a more than fair price! I live in Michigan and I am used to cars rusting out. I know Toyota had a spell of recalls, but I believe the quality in all Toyota's can't be beat. And to offer such a warranty... I will be a Toyota owner for life.

this is the truck for me

by toyota owner from lynnwood wa | September 13, 2011

since ive ever bot this truck ive been plesed because we bot about 6 toyotas and this is are seventh one !! and before we bot this truck we bot a 2000 frotier it is the worst car we had ever bot because the gear box did not really work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so this is why im now a toyota owner this truck been great but one thing about this truck is the design it is poor on that but the rest of the truck is great I ready SOLD IT FOR A 05 toyoTA TACOMA . it has been great and i hat seeing it go but some one needed this hard working truck but sometimes we still use it becaues my friend now has this truck he mite even buy this truck that I just bot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is a good truck if you buy one you shoud buy a doble cab long bed if they have it or buy a acess cab I know the cab is small but buy it if you have a family buy one of those if you only have a wife or just live alone buy the reguler cab it has a long bed and it comes with a manul transmisson or automatic transmisson but make your chose a good chose if you buy a truck you dont like than you probily made the rong choce so chose carfuully

Best car I have ever owned!

by Proud Tacoma Owner from Charlotte, NC | August 12, 2011

Been very pleased with my purchase 10 years ago! No other car I have ever owned can touch it as for affordability and upkeep!

You can't buy a better truck

by Quad Toyota from South Carolina | May 11, 2011

I have 4 Toyotas right now. I won't buy anything else. Resale is great and never any problems with any of mine. Those recalls were just Rocky Bama trying to sell more Dodges. There was never any problems.

Excellent Vehicle

by Toyota Truck Guy from Florida | April 15, 2009

I bought this truck new and now have 182,300 miles. I'm getting about 19 mpg overall with the V-6 and automatic. Up to now, normal maintenance except for a intake manifold gasket at 82,000 mi. This truck is very reliable and after all these miles, still uses no oil between changes (every 4000 mi.) It is also very easy on tires - 62,000 mi. original set, 87,000 mi.on second set, and have 37,000 on this set with many more to go. I would recommend this truck to anyone!

Tacoma Excellence through mediocraty

by Tacoma POWER!!! from Chicago | January 29, 2009

This truck, while not doing anything exceptional is a good and reliable truck that will give you years and years of reliable transportation for you and anything else you want to throw in there.

Tacoma

by Die Hard Toyota Guy from | January 22, 2009

My 2001 Tacoma is a SR5 with 4 wheel drive and a supercharger option. Boy does it make a difference. I'm pulling around 300hp!!! I totally recommend.

Featured Services for this Toyota Tacoma