2002 Toyota Tacoma

See Photos & Videos

Overall

never broke down

by truck mamma from Durham NC | January 1, 2013

I bought it at 40K miles, drove it on many vacations, now I've got 146K miles on it, and not once has it ever broke down. Amazing! And the 4WD got me out of incredible predicaments, it never failed even when one wheel was over the edge.

Liked it so much I bought TWO of them

by Twin Taco's from Va | April 16, 2012

I bought a new Tacoma Quad cab 4x4 in 2000 and Loved it. I drove it for 3 years and I thought I needed a bigger Quad Cab for our new addition to the family so I traded it for a 2003 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4. Bigger is not always better!!! In late 2011 I sold my Dodge and purchased a 2002 Tacoma Quad Cab 4x4 almost exactly like the one I had new in 2000, same color and everything. I liked this truck so much I've owned two of them. My wife says I'm nuts and I should have kept my first one all along. It's not very often I agree with her but this time I do. I love the body style, the ride, and the feeling of having something smaller conserving gas vs. the HEMI and still have room for BOTH kids now. In a smaller truck the Tacoma has everything I want and need. BTW: I am a mechanic and don't mind at all tweeking under the hood on my Tacoma contrary to beliefs that tradesmen don't like working on their own. One lesson I did learn is that educations are expensive, no matter what you learn there is always a cost. I wish I never traded my 2000 in for a dodge, I regret it...

Awesome truck

by Guiller from New Mexico | April 13, 2012

First Toyota I ever owned and is the best vehicle I ever owned. Bougth the 2wd v6 prerunner used, and have driven it almost 200k for work in the desert, mountains, snow, mud, dust, rough roads, interstates, and this thing is amazing. Seems to run better with the increasing miles. With the positrack I have never been stuck anywhere, I wouldn't even consider a 4wd because the posi is good enough for me and get better gas mileage. Would never consider another truck.

Reliable 4x4

by LikeTacomas from Oklahoma City, OK | October 30, 2011

Have owned 2 Tacomas - both have been very trouble free, reliable and economical. My current Tacoma is an '03 Double-Cab V6, automatic, with a matching camper shell. It's a four wheel drive with Hi-Lo transfer case - great in mud/snow or rough stuff. It has been a great trouble-free and good-looking vehicle. I have been asked several times by complete strangers if I would be willing to sell. MPG is approx. 21/22 on the road. First Tacoma I had was a extended cab - I bought the Double-Cab for the additional passenger room.

First truck

by teen driver from peru NY | April 6, 2011

very nice truck. fast. great truck to trick out i have done many things to mine. never had a problem

Tire Complainers....

by Tacoma Owner from Barre, VT | October 20, 2010

I've onwned 3 Tacomas and they have all been absolutely bulletproof. One had over 200k when I bought it and another had over 140k when I bought it. These people who complain about tires "only" lasting 30-40k miles are absolutely ridiculous! Maybe back in 1950 tires lasted that long; they don't anymore! Get used to it you annoying old people! I'm getting sick of listening to all of you complain about your stupid tires! I'm thrilled if I get 20k out of a set of tires! Shut up; everyone is sick of listening to your whining!

Tacoma...Native American for "Bad Truck!"

by Bandwagon from Maine | October 15, 2010

I found myself shopping for a sporty little 4X4 p/u to get adventurous with before middle age set in. So around Christmas time 2001 I decided to trade in my Hyundai Elantra (which I enjoyed very much) and buy myself a nice Christmas gift. I tried out the Ranger, Nissan Frontier, and the Tacoma. All three were the comparitively priced and the Ranger was much better equipped for the money. I picked the Tacoma soley for its reputation. Boy did get an education! The breaks were weak from the start, I thought they just needed breaking in. I'm on the road (trucker) much of the time and weak breaks never bothered me until they failed my state's safety inspection. Aparently it left the factory with faulty calipers and a bad master-cylinder. After 4 years and only 36,000 miles the stock tires failed my state's safety inspection. After 4 years and 37,000 miles the check engine light came on due to a faulty O2 sensor. Mechanic quoted a price of $120.00 to replace but to not bother because Tacomas ate them like candy. Glows yellow to this day. After 4 years and 40,000 miles the factory chrome rear bumper rotted off. After 4 years and 41,000 miles the factory exhaust fell apart to the tune of $500.00. And the mechanic noticed an oil leak while putting the exhaust on. Still seeps around the head gasket to this day. After 5 years and 48,000 miles the radiator rotted off. After 9 years and 56,000 miles the truck goes to my local Toyota dealer for a frame rot recall inspection and fails. The truck sits in the dealer's lot for over a month and a half and the breaks seize up and they can't get a shock off. Total bill for a "Free" frame $1052.00. Takes them 62 days to complete the work. And who put the clock behind the steering-wheel??

Toyota trucks for life

by Taco Yota from Fort Worth, Texas | April 14, 2010

I bought my Tacoma a couple years ago used. Zero issues. Extremely versitle for 2wd. Four doors make it a great truck for friends to ride along. I have the 2002 SR5 Pre-Runner V6 Extra Cab. I can't really say much more about this truck besides you would not be dissapointed in owning one. I love my TACO.

LaWanda

by sevenn8910 from Georgia | April 3, 2010

This is the 2.7L TRD 4x4 and it is the best pickup truck I have ever owned, closely followed by her older sister Wanda, a 1993 4x4 pickup. Never a mechanical problem and comfortable in the cabin, she is what all compact PU's should strive to be. The 5 speed manual trans. shifts easily, the 4 cyl. engine provides good power and she has the locking rear differential which has been useful several times in wet GA clay, the slickest substance around. The only fault: 21 MPG

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

GOOD TACO

by BEEZIE from WARREN MA | October 3, 2009

I TRADED AN 04 COLORADO WITH 60,000 MILES ON IT AND GOT A 02 TACO WITH 111,000 ON IT. I HAVE HAD LESS TROUBLE WITH THE OVER A 100,000 MILE TOYOTA THAN A 30,000 MILE CHEVY I'M SOLD FOR LIFE ON TOYOTA. ONLY PROBLEM IS THE BED IS NOT AS DEEP AS THE CHEVY COME ON TOYOTA MAKE A DEEPER BED!

Uses car for Off-roading