1996 Toyota Tercel

$350–$4,570

Overall

Toyota Doesn't Make Cars Like This Any More

by Seth Easton from West Virginia | February 19, 2012

My mom gave me this car w/ 276,000 miles on it and it is still going strong. Of course, she drove it very gingerly and always kept up with the maintenance. The number one reason I love this car: it is simply very fun to drive! This car is a tiny featherweight compared to today's bloated "econo" cars, so 93 hp is plenty and acceleration feels immediate and strong (it's a 4-speed manual), not to mention that you can peg the speedometer to 110 with little drama. It's crazy how quick this little junker is, actually. It also has non-power, mechanical rack-and-pinion steering, which gives it a go-kart feel (it'll work out your forearms too!). Add to that about 40 mpg on 87 octane and it just makes sense. It's not the coolest looking car on the road, but it's got an old-school vibe. I actually still see quite a few these cars (as well as mid-90s Honda Civics) on the road during my commute, so people out there are still lovin' these things. I hate their replacements for these (the Echo and Yaris) -- they are ugly and slow in comparison. Old-school Toyota rules!

great car

by gas saver from san jose, CA | January 15, 2012

I bought 1996 w/ 10 miles (new). It ran to 218,000 and still sounds strong (had to sell becuse was total loss in accident). NEVER had trouble with anything!!: but I always did oil change, fluids, timing belt and tires upkeep. Original everything (powertrain, interiior fine except carpet by pedals was worn), was a manual 2 door, and this was my FAVORITE VEHICLE IN 25 YEARS!!! Now I'm looking for another!!!

This is one pricey piece of junk!

by Ex-Tercel Owner from Milwaukee, WI | January 19, 2011

First of all, I've owned Japenese imports for over 15 years (long before the hype). I didn't realize what an over-priced (resale wise) piece of garbage my Tercel was until years later. I purchased this vehicle with 50,000 miles on it. At 65,000 I began to burn a small amount of oil...no biggy. By 90,000, I had a plume of blue/gray smoke whenever I started up the car. Needless to say, this "eco-saver" did not pass emissions and I spent about $700 at a Toyota dealership only to have them finally tell me I would need a new engine. I purchased this vehicle at an upscale Toyota dealership and had it inspected at another certified Toyota dealership prior to purchase. I spent a small fortune keeping up with regular maintenance, (oil changes, fluid flushings, timing belt, new tires, new alternator, etc. All to no avail!!! What a waste! These cars are probably even worse now...all these years later! Import reliability is a lot of hype! After owning many reliable American vehicles, you can get a newer, lower milage, more reliable American vehicle for the price! Save your money and keep on looking!

toyota tercel ruleS

by car man from sammammish WA | December 25, 2008

i like the toyota tercel its the best ever with 0%financing it is awesome the cloth seats the price everythings amazing this is a tercel

Featured Services for this Toyota Tercel