2000 Toyota Tundra

Available in 9 styles:  2000 Toyota Tundra 4dr 4x2 Access Cab shown

Overall

Second worst car of about 60 owned

by Harvey Mushman from Fairport NY | January 20, 2013

I do all my own work from little things to race car engines and transmissions. I bought the Tundra with 55,000 miles on it. I sold it with almost 100,000 on it five years later. I was constantly fixing things that shouldn't have needed it. Rotted wiring in the back, back shift forks in the 5 speed standard transmission, rusted off sway bar links, leaking transfercase, rusted off gas door, blown bulbs in the dash, bad sensors for the FI, rusted off spare tire mount (K member of the frame.) the list seemed to never end. Thank God it held some value so I replaced it with another used truck.

I wouldn`t own any other truck.

by Toytruckcoma from Vermont | February 15, 2012

I have a 2000 Tundra that my father bought in September of 1999, with 205,000 miles on it. It does not burn/leak oil. The transmission lasted to 152,000. The overdrive and torque converter were replaced and the trans was slightly modified that is that. On the 3rd timing belt, 2nd water pump, 2nd starter 3rd set of spark plugs, factory exhaust, muffler replaced w/ performance unit, 2nd set of rear bearings (hauling heavy a bit) 2nd set of u-joints & carrier bearing, new rear brakes-factory drums, new front calipers lost track of front brake pads.. Been on the last set for a while it seems. Upgraded front & rear suspension. H&R 2" lift springs & Airbags in the rear, Bilstein Shocks. I also have a 2006 and I prefer the old grey mare. The new Tundras are great but I`m not done with these 2 yet. On the reliability note I have a friend who had a 1996 Toyota Tacoma with 500,000+ miles.

Will be driving a tundra for the rest of my life!!

by kodester from Bath | February 5, 2010

this truck does everything. pulls trailers of any size. with the v8 DOHC 250+ whp/315+ lbs. ft. this truck will put down a lot of street racer wana bees, coboltss, srt4...etc. overall out standing truck. on 2/5/2010 truck has 89k miles on a 10 year old truck with only having to replace oil, belt, 1 o2 senser, tires, brakes, your regular daily changes. good luck finding and buying...i highly recommend.

Best truck on unreliable roads

by Dsand from Ventura California | April 29, 2008

I've driven my truck 4 times down Baja and was on roads, off roads and somewhere else. I always feel 100% confident on any road when I am in my Toyota. It is a proven safe and sturdy truck. Now if they could only get it to be more efficient with the MPG, I get 15 mpg no matter where I drive or how I drive. 4 X 4 limited, TRD with shell.

Pretty good but not tops

by geezer from Seattle, WA | November 7, 2007

The 2000 year was Motor Trends' truck of the year. Mine is a Limited, 4wd, access cab model. Currently it has 57,000 miles. OE oxygen sensors were a problem, but later replacement parts ok. Front rotors are too light as well as other rear brake components, and I've had my rotors replaced twice under warranty, drums once; after market's probably much better. Originals were too thin to disipate the heat and warped. The starter is mounted under the intake manifold and a common problem is contact replacement costing $500-700 or more at the dealer. Front end geometry makes tire replacement tricky, as some tires will cause "shimmy" at 50-60 MPH even with new alignment and tire truing. Buy Michelins or OE replacements. Tight body, comfort good, quiet ride, a tad tight in the back seats, but that's for groceries anyway. It's about the size of a newer Tacoma. A good used choice keeping in mind the starter and brakes. No engine problems or expenses otherwise. Some other owners have reported ball joing problems.

Great Truck

by JP from lafayette, La | November 24, 2006

This truck is great. The only reliability problem I have was the three O2 sensors (two under warranty) that went out and I got 97k. I have the limited edition with the excess cab and the room in the back seat is lacking. Wish I would have waited for the crew cabs to come out. I plan on my next truck to be a Tundra!!!

Featured Services for this Toyota Tundra