2003 Toyota Tundra

2003 Toyota Tundra

Available in 12 styles:  2003 Toyota Tundra 4dr 4x4 Access Cab shown

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Toyota is Way ahead of the game!!

by Rooster from Northern Illinois | March 17, 2014

I have a 2003 TRD 4X4 Access cab, auto, & V-8 this is my third Toyota pick-up, two 4X4 Tacoma's prior. I'm a older guy now and wiser and I can honestly say why lose all the $$ on the other brands. This truck I have now is another example, bullet proof, return on your cost / investment of how good they are and the line of buyers are waiting for you to sell them. NO brainer.

Reliable Truck

by Phil's Toyota from Grand Prairie, TX | November 28, 2012

Just a great Truck to have. I plan on getting another Tundra if I ever get a chance to buy one. I've gotton real good performance from this truck.

Amazing Truck

by Green Mountain Boy from Vermont | April 27, 2012

I don't think I can emphasize enough how incredible this truck is. You really need to own one for many years to truly understand. Mine is a 2003 SR5 TRD Off Road with the V8 and automatic transmission. It has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned, by a large margin, and I usually buy reliable vehicles. Even though the motor is "just" a 4.7 liter it is impressively strong, and while it isn't stronger than the V10 in my sister's F350 it FEELS stronger. It is surprisingly comfortable too like another reviewer said, you really can sit for hours on end in the captains chairs without any discomfort. Personally I would prefer more lumbar support (Toyotas as a rule have the worst lumbar support). Styling is always in the eye of the beholder, but I think it's perfectly adequate, there isn't any design element that looks out-of-date even ten years later. I wanted to give it only 3 or 4 stars for value because they are expensive new and used, but jeez it hasn't cost me a dime other that routine maintenance.

Love my Truck

by hick from oceanside, ca | October 10, 2011

Great truck for whatever I need right now; work or play, family or self. Would like 4 wheel drive but couldn't afford at the time- the tundra is definately my prefered truck!

The awkward teenage years of Toyota's fullsize trk

by Maxx from Georgia | May 7, 2011

I've got an 03 with a little over 60k miles on it. I use it primarily for long distance trips where I am hauling a lot of weight or sometimes towing something like a u-haul trailer. I love the truck. I routinely max out the payload or occasionally exceed it and it doesn't complain. I do have one of the rare SR5s with a 5-speed manual. When I use it locally, the 5 speed helps a lot on the hilly mountain roads and helps with braking while towing. Last year I did have a problem with the clutch assembly. Something to do with the master cylinder. That cost around $200 to fix (dealer wanted 6 bills) Aside from that it's never been in for repairs. Mind you, even that repair didn't leave me stranded. The gas mileage on my 6cyl is comparable to the smaller v8s in today's trucks. It's within 1 mpg. The turning radius is unacceptably large and that's probably my biggest complaint. You need over 4 lanes of space to make a u-turn. Get good tires, you're going to be taking a lot of curbs. My second least favorite thing about this truck is the depth of the box but that's been improved on the newer tundras. I'm not a fan of the styling for the grill but whatever. The last car I've owned, I was in love with the styling but it broke down constantly. The truck I have has cloth captains chairs which is also not all that common from what I understand. They are exceptionally comfortable. I'm talking about 18 hours of straight driving and no sore butt comfortable. This tundra was like the awkward teenager in the evolution of toyota's fullsize pickups. It looks like they improved upon a lot of the issues, probably went a little overboard even. If I had to buy a new truck today, I'd have trouble. This series tundra was a really good value. It wasn't too big, not too small.

Dream truck

by Bayell from northern Colorado | December 29, 2010

Wanted one of these trucks for years. Needed it for outdoor lifestyle and towing 18' camper. Shopped for 4 months before I found a one-owner well-kept vehicle in my price range. Worth every penny paid - rides better than my 2001 4Runner, gets consistent 15 mpg in stop/go mountain driving, and tows the camper like a dream. Wish Toyota still made this version of the Tundra.

I loved this truck

by Tundra CALI from Coarsegold, CA | November 19, 2010

Unfortunately I had to sell this truck because of a new job and the commute. i lamented over keeping it but decided I didn't need to own three vehicles. Only issue I ever had was the hinges on the back window broke. They are plastic and just decayed over time. I plan to buy another when I work closer to home.

Ex-American Truck Buyer

by Work-a-holic from Duncanville, Tx. | January 26, 2010

I'd rather push a Toyota Tundra then drive a Dodge truck. I have only owned two makes of trucks, but I cannot imagine any truck being more reliable than this single cab, 8-ft long bed,V-6 tundra. I bought it with 32,000 miles on it and have only had one part replacement other than oil changes and fluids, brakes, and filters---normal maintenance. It now has 132,000 miles on it and I have yet to even change the timing belt(due at 90k miles). This truck will go until you just get tired of it, not because it is nickel and dimeing you in repair costs like my ex-dodge dakota did.

Best Truck I've ever owned!

by JDJ from biloxi | December 23, 2008

I bought my tundra with 48k in 2006! Best truck I've ever owned. I have owned an 04 F350 dually which had left me stranded 3 times. Previously owned an 03 chevy Z71 that also had a few problems. Transmission was a big issue. But I have owned my tundra ever since then with no problems. Just brakes and oil changes. Typical things to stay on top of. The 03 and up is the best year to buy simply because it had larger brakes heavier duty and the transmission doesn't have problems much like the 00-02's. The truck is a truly refined truck that handles and rides much like a car. The interior is nice and sound. It may not be as big as full size trucks are today but it makes up for it in comfort and reliability! I suggest buying an 03 and up tundra to anyone looking to by this generation Tundra. Great truck!

has a junk transmission

by lou from worcester,pa | November 20, 2008

I purchased my 03 tundra in sept of 02.I have 33300 miles on it when I brought it into the dealer with the engine light on and a trans.clunking sound when it shifts gears.[auto]it just started one day while shifting into second around 15 mph.i never hauled with it or abused it.i have picked up firewood some dirt etc,never used it as a work truck.babied the heck out of it.well i need a transmission and $3500.00.toyo says out of warr.

Featured Services for this Toyota Tundra