2010 Toyota Yaris

29 city / 36 hwy

Overall

Yar

by Oh What a Feelin from Charlotte area | November 16, 2013

Having a need for a more economical vehicle that also did not need much work, I set out for one of the top five economy cars. While the Fit seemed more spacious and safer and better performing, it also cost a whole lot more, and it's life past 200k was a question mark. That had me settled on the Yaris. It was cheaper, the strong and proven 1.5 engine if maintained, should not even leak oil until 300k. Too, the Yaris gets better mileage. Starting in 2009, the Yaris got safer each year, except 2011. In 2012, the dash went back where it belongs. I have the sedan, which didn't score as well safety wise as the Hatchback, but is 22 inches longer than the hatch with the same mileage. I drove to Fla. and got 38 mpg at 80-85 mph, and got 36 on the way back. I have been getting 32 mpg combined with a worst mileage of 26 in the city. I chose the sedan that had the tach, power windows and locks, cruise and fog lights. One can put all that stuff in, if it doesn't come with, fairly cheaply, except the power window and lock part maybe. I would buy this again and again. What a great car. Not only do I fix cars for a living, I drive the ones I either enjoy, don't have to work on much or both. I found the listing for the Yarii I looked at on Cars.com and thank you !

Excellent Little Car

by Nickname from | June 20, 2013

I bought this car 3 years ago and have put 35000+ miles on it. When I first bought it, I wasn't commuting, but I am glad I did, because the hour of commuting I do everyday now is much more enjoyable than it otherwise would have been. It is a very fun little car to drive. Being small, it handles turns and hills with no problems. The only complaint about the performance I have is when passing cars on a 2 lane highway, you need plenty of distance to get up to passing speeds. When I first bought the car, my (then) boyfriend and I took several hour + trips in it, all very comfortably. The problem became after a kid (along with car seat and all sorts of other things) came into the picture, we are starting to feel a bit cramped - especially now that number 2 is on the way! It seems that the time may be coming to upgrade to a Prius or Prius v. I would definitely recommend this car. Adults can travel in it with great ease, and even 1 small one.

It's a Keeper!

by Dee from Searsport, ME | April 23, 2013

When I first bought this car I had to endure a lot of ribbing from my four kids and husband for how small this car looks. However, it wasn't long before everyone started asking to borrow my car for long trips. It is comfortable and great on gas! They are all quite humble about my little Yaris now. The only down side to having such a small car is that you can feel the wind gusts on bad weather days in New England. On the up side, I am not one who enjoys highway driving, but this car is so cozy that I no longer have any reservations about hitting the highway. In fact, I never enjoyed driving much at all until I found this car. I would recommend this car to anyone. My kids keep asking me when I plan on selling it so they can buy it. Unfortunately or them, I plan on finding out if Toyotas really can make it to over 300,000 miles!

Amazingly Awesome Car

by Crazy busy Yaris Owner! from Orchard Park, NY | September 11, 2012

I bought my yaris 32,000 miles ago and I am still in love with it. I have the five door hatchback, and the amount of items I can fit into the car is amazing! I have avereged about 38 MPG, but I have recieved as high as 44MPG!!!!!! I live in the hills and never have been stuck in the snow, or had to even worry about the hard winters in Buffalo. (I do put snow tires on but I think anyone up here should) very reliable little car, and not a lot of money! Plus Toyota's are always known for lasting forever!! I use the car for everything, I needed something reliable, becasue I am an EMT and do a lot of volunteering all over. And this car has proved it's amazing skills!! I love all the little hideaway compartments!

Fun car Great value

by mrv from Boston | June 19, 2012

This car certainly doesnt feel like its a 1.5l 4cyl. Unlike small engines from before this performs respectfully even while using the AC. Off the line this responds immediately, and it keeps up with traffic just fine on the highway. Fuel economy is impressive too. I drive faster and slightly more aggressive than most, and i have never gotten less than 35mpg. Last week i got 38mpg with a mix of 70%highway and 30% city. This week i got 40mpg. Highway noise is slightly higher than the the higher priced Toyotas

Love it

by Angel from Mountain View, MO | June 11, 2012

Got the sedan. Great trunk room. When my grandson first looked at it he asked if I really wanted it because it seemed so small. After he got in his comment was" Grandma it has more room then Mom's car!" Now he can't wait to get his license so he can drive it. I got 42 miles per gal on the Hwy and have averaged 38. I Really love it

Love this car

by yarislover from Boulder, CO | March 20, 2012

I originally was wanting and echo because I thought that they were so cute but the Yaris is the newer model and they have stopped making echos. I love my Yaris it is adorable, easy to park and fun to drive. The only thing I don't like is that you have to let it warm up for a while when you start it or you will have to drive in a lower gear than Drive like 2nd. The dash (gas gauge, spedometer, oil) is in the middle of the dash instead of right in front of the driver so that threw me off at first. I LOVE the cupholders, instead of crowding up the the middle they are on the dash by the side windows. Super accessible and genious. The trunk is super spacious without having to have a long car which I love. And the gas millage is excellent!

Pleasantly Surprised

by Yaris Convert from Tucson, AZ | February 8, 2012

I traded in my Nissan Rogue to save some gas on my commute to work. I have been pleasantly surprised by the Yaris. The positives: this car is fun to drive, easy to park, has a tight turning radius, decent stereo, cheap to maintain, has a nice trunk size, and is comfortable on trips of less than an hour. Biggest positive is the gas mileage. In a mix on city and highway, I have averaged 35.2 miles per gallon. The negatives: cruise control is not standard ( I added it), long trips are not as comfortable as most cars, the cupholders are positioned in front of the vents, blocking air flow from the dash and the steering wheel has an odd texture that is not very comfortable. All minor, but worthy of consideration. Overall, I am a Yaris convert and love it as a commuter car and gas saver. Its positives FAR outweigh the minor issues mentioned.

Tall man in Little Car

by Tall man in Little Car from Goodyear, AZ | February 1, 2012

There is magic going on when you get in this car. The first time I saw one while I was car shopping I scratched it off of my list of potential cars, because it looked too small on the outside. Then when I sat down inside it was like that tent on Harry Potter, I said "Where did all this room come from?" I totally enjoy seeing other peoples reaction when they do the same thing.

Worst Piece of Junk I Have Ever Driven!!!

by Road Warrior from Columbus, OH | December 1, 2011

As a businessman who travels every week, I rent cars constantly. Being a Toyota owner, I was very curious to see how my rental Yaris would do. I quickly learned that Toyota accomplished their goal of building the cheapest car on the road and there is no mistaking that the minute to slide behind the seat. On trips longer than an hour, you had better be ready for back pain because this car will cause you physical pain. This car is cheaply built, handles poorly, gets blown all over the highway, and wanders all over the road. The drivers seat is shaped poorly and lacks back support and thigh support. There is no armrest for the driver (unless you have freakishly long arms and rest it on the center console). The gated shifter for the automatic tranny is notchy and hokey. If you need to talk on the phone while traveling on the interstate, DO NOT BUY THIS CAR! Unless you are driving on a perfectly smooth highway with no wind, you will have trouble hearing the radio over the road noise, let alone hear the person you are trying to talk to (even with a headset). Don't make the mistake of trying to close the trunk unless you do it carefully. If you close it too quickly, the thin steel hinges flex and the latch slams against the trunk opening and pops back at you. The only redeeming aspect of this car is the engine which is surprisingly peppy but extremely rough and noisy. Even while punishing the car (payback for the car punishing me with its horrible design) the worst gas mileage I found was 32MPG on the highway. Over the last 15+ years of renting cars every week, this car made my list of 5 worst cars to drive. Only the horrible Geo Metro and Hyundai Accent are worse cars and that is really saying something! Toyota should be ashamed to put their name of this garbage!!! If you are used to driving compact GM or Chrysler cars, then you will probably love this car because it is a much better choice. If you are used to driving decent modern vehicles, then you will probably hate this car.