2012 Toyota Yaris

Available in 5 styles:  2012 Toyota Yaris 2dr Hatchback shown

30 city / 35–38 hwy

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Terrible: Engine has ringing noise no fix

by Grumpy Cat from Australia | December 19, 2012

Car engine emits a ringing noise at speeds over 90km/hr. This ringing sounds like hearing damage ringing in your ears (Tinnitus). After long highway drives it leaves my ears ringing. I recorded the sound and it exists. Toyota confirmed that they could hear and they confirmed another 2012 Yaris Auto exhibited what they call the same condition. No fix and no refund as Toyota say the condition is normal for the Yaris engine. Very sad and disappointed with this Car and Toyota after such a good run in my older 2006 yaris. Will be selling car asap and moving on from Toyota as very yuck to drive on the highway.

Best Mileage And Fun To Drive

by Hooked On Yaris from Pensacola, Florida | December 6, 2012

My wife and I got the Yaris after renting one. We have the 4 door hatchback model. It has lots of room in the back if you need to carry anything. Seats 4 people very comfortably. It comes with a great stereo system. We also tried the comparable Mazda but did not feel it had enough room in the front because of the way the shift console was built. The Mazda does seem to have more pep, but this comes at the price of lower mileage than the Yaris. We love our Yaris.

Great personal car!

by myaris from Boston, MA | June 13, 2012

Believe it or not, I traded in a BMW for a 2012 Yaris SE Manual. The Toyota dealers thought I was kidding. I wasn't. The car's revised styling and the simplicity of the interior caught my attention initially. I then researched its safety test results and was thoroughly impressed. Having put about 1,500 miles on it so far, I am averaging 38 MPG and the car continues to be a joy to drive with its go-kart like handling. The seating space is plentiful, but the cargo space is somewhat limited. Highway noise is surprisingly subdued. The ride quality is also better than expected for a car of this size. The 1.5 liter engine is not the most refined in its class, but it works well and should be trouble-free. The 5-speed manual is one of the easiest I have ever used. Some reviewers commented about the lack of 6th gear, but I don't think this car needs it. Toyota engineers did their homework selecting the gear ratios for the manual gearbox. The best part of the car is the fantastic single windshield wiper which works really well and looks cool. Overall, it's a great personal car for commuting. I don't miss my Bimmer at all!

great value

by spunkycat from | March 11, 2012

I've had my 2012 Yaris 3DR LE for about 6 weeks, so far averaging 34.4 MPG - almost all city driving. The visibility is excellent - handling is very good and is so easy to park - I like the fact that it is a little taller than my old car which accounts for the great visibility. I love the look of this car both inside and out - all of the controls are easy to reach and simple...good-sized control knobs. The audio system is very good -braking is excellent. The driver's seat is very comfortable, easily the most comfortable of any car I've ever owned - instead of 2 windshield wipers it's good 1 huge one which is pretty cool! The headlights are excellent, both regular and high beam...The steering wheel has a good feel to it, it is a little chunkier at the 10:00 and 2:00 position which is where you're supposed to grip it. The LE comes with a tire pressure monitoring system which alerts you if your tires get very low. All in all, I believe the Yaris is the best value of any subcompact car out there and would highly recommend it.

Best Buy

by colblu from Williamsburg, Va | February 16, 2012

We have 2 of these cars, a 3-door and a sedan. I have no trouble getting 40 mpg on the highway with AT. I'm 6'2" and 220 lbs, yet I'm comfortable. Price tag is really low. Trunk on sedan is deceptively huge. We've never had more practical cars.

Great little car

by commuter from savannah, GA | January 8, 2012

I love my new Yaris! I admit, I didn't like the styling of the previous years, both interior and exterior. So when I was looking for a 4 door hatchback I noticed the 2012 but was really looking elsewhere. I commute 85 miles one way for work so I wanted a car with good gas mileage, comfort, and a low price tag. I thought I would go with the Honda Fit but saw my blue car waiting for me when I had my tacoma serviced about a month ago. It's obviously not a luxury car but I thoroughly enjoy my commute. I have bluetooth, ipod hookup, cruise, etc. Everything I need for my drive and I got it for 16,500. Can't beat that!