2012 Volkswagen Beetle

Available in 4 styles:  2012 Volkswagen Beetle 2dr Hatchback shown

Overall

Emission Test Failed

by Mishko from Chicago | March 1, 2016

I both used VW Beetle a year ago with 26,000 miles on and I got 24,000 miles warranty or 2 years whichever comes first. Last week I took the car to the emission test with 36,000 miles and It it didn't pass. Today I visited VW Service in Chicago( Fletcher Johns) and they told me If car failed emission test it is not covered with a warranty. Also I was told that I need to pay $ 169.00 to check what is wrong with the car. I left the service and went to regular Car Repair Shop which fixed the problem for $95.00. Having this car is the worst experience for me.

Good choice

by small car from Old Greenwich, Ct. | February 1, 2016

My 12 VW Beetle is great for a single person. Reliable, comfortable and easy to drive. The driving environment is challenging around a major city. Having a small car with power, makes this experience easier. I've had the vehicle for a month now, and do not regret purchasing it.

Fun, comfortable daily driver

by Car nut from Alexandria, VA | July 16, 2015

We purchased a Yellow 2012 VW Beetle for my mother who needed a plain commuter car. We have had a great time owning the vehicle and it has turned out to be a great commuter car. I drive the car on weekends a lot and occasionally during the week to work. The car has a lot of power, but the 2.5L motor is antiquated. The mpg is good for mainly highway driving, but not that great for city driving. I would recommend most people to buy either the 2014 or 2015 models since they now come with the 1.8L Turbo 4 as a base motor and it's much lighter. The handling is amazing and the 6spd automatic transmission is great. Reliability is very good on this car. The only issues we had were the window recall (fixed free of charge) and an issue with brake fluid leaking, also (fixed free of charge). Make sure you go to a good dealership like we did because there are some really bad horror stories about it, otherwise, I see this car as a solid commuter car with great looks and handling.

Awesome car -- AWFUL VW dealership

by JJ from Perrysburg, OH | February 7, 2014

I love everything about this car except for the local VW dealership. They tried every which way not to cover anything under warranty even when the car only had less than 12K miles. As far as I'm concerned, the dealership gets an F minus

none of the charm

by komodo dragon from Tampa | October 22, 2013

The Beetle was an icon, but the new beetle is a very poor bit of design, characterless, bland, and made by a company that has lost it's soul.

Love my car

by Smitty from Michigan | September 29, 2013

Great car to drive and very comfortable. We got a convertible and it is such a fun car to use. It was a 2010 and not a 2012.

Not ready for prime time.

by Fudgey Memory from Charlotte, NC | August 25, 2013

Peeling pain due to no bumper cover clearance. This made it hard for the body shop to fix the peeling, and put the cover back on without peeling it themselves. Plus they didn't put it back on quite evenly. Service Mgr at dealer said it was like that on a lot of them, though. Going back to body shop for a second time. Have had car in shop for window every month since I've owned it. Considering a lemon law claim. Not the random lowering and sticking thing. This is different. Mine pop and clunk when different moments. I have had every component replaced now, and it still rubs. Going back to service for that. AC button kept sticking. They fixed that. Airbag light sometimes blinks while seat belt not fastened light comes on. Jiggling the seat belt connection makes it go away. They say they can't fix it if they can't duplicate it. Same thing happened in loaner as well. I feel like I actually own a Passat, as I have driven the loaner about as much as my own car. Wait until the reviews on the 2014s, but wait until they have been out for a while before buying. They get 10 more hp, too. Don't fall for the deals on older ones that will undoubtedly be offered. My dealer has about 40 of them just sitting on his lot.

VW Beetle Bug Turbo 2012

by madchemist from PA | August 8, 2013

I absolutely loved this car when I got it. Loved the design - shape - curves - color - wheels. But, after only 6 months, I notice a lot of chipping of the paint on the front bumper and hood. What is discouraging is I "baby" all my vehicles and am a fanatic about keeping them clean and SHINY! I did have the window issues but they fixed that of no charge. When I had their "paint expert" look at the paint chips, they said it wasn't covered but because of the low mileage and age of the car they would at least replace my bumper. I told them it makes no sense to replace the bumper but leave me with a chipped hood. I never had a car with such a bad paint job! When they told me I "tail gate" and that's why I had so many chips - I laughed. I have been in the Safety field for over 25 years - I do not tail gate. So.....I am at a loss on what to do other than vent. Perhaps write to corporate?! Any suggestions are appreciated - this is a first for me.

Shocked

by 03z06guy from Bonney Lake, WA | April 3, 2013

I really liked the car when I bought it. Couple things that bother me are the bluetooth is almost unuseable due to the road noise, people can't hear me at freeway speeds. The gas mileage is bad in the city, not bad on the freeway but who drives 60 in traffic anymore. The biggest disappointment was when I went to trade it in ( I get a new car every 18 mo or so). I was offered 13K for it. This is the worst resale valued car I have ever owned and I've owned many cars. I'm not sure if it is the car itself or just the plain greedyness of the dealer especially Larson Automotive. wow, guess they must be doing well and not interested in doing business again. Check this out before you buy a VW Beetle turbo.

LOVE IT!!

by Taco Bender from Haslet, TX | March 7, 2013

I paid off my Truck and was tired of the 11MPG so figured it was time to park it in my shop and find me something economical.. I searched for a few months and each time I kept coming back to the 2012-2013 Beetle... I wanted something SPORTY.... Good on Gas and enough room for our small family of 3 of and wanted something Price was under 20k... I found the vehicle I wanted on Cars.com only 2k miles had it delivered from CA to TX and WOW I love it.. The Power in the little Turbo is perfect... Gas Mileage has been about a avg of 29 MPG which is exactly what I was hoping for....