2013 Volkswagen Beetle

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Fun driving with TDI convertible 6 speed manual

by Three S from NJ | April 10, 2014

I have the TDI convertible with 6 speed manual transmission. After 10,000 I have had no major problems, it continues to run very well. The only problems I have experienced: 1) The auto windows getting stuck. The windows automatically go down a 1/2 inch when you go to open the door. When the temp first dropped below freezing and there was frost, these would freeze and you couldn't open the doors, then you'd have to reset the power windows. The dealer sprayed some silicon lube on the window seals and that seems to take care of it. But probably need to do that before every cold season. 2) Rear visibility is poor. I knew this going in, you have to be very careful backing out of the driveway, parking spots, changing lanes. Rely more on the side mirrors, and I'm considering an after market reverse camera. 3)There are a few more small paint chips on the hood than I would expect after 8 months and 10,000 miles. Could be all the salt during a harsh winter getting thrown off the road, but I'm keeping an eye on it. Otherwise it is a fun car to drive, but more fun in the warm weather with the top down. The top drops ridiculously fast, I even "raced" the top against a friend's BMW 1 series convertible, and it was much faster. You can put it down while moving up to 30mph too which is nice. Never had a car with Bluetooth either, that is a feature I'm hooked on. Initial acceleration is pretty good, mileage is up around 45mpg on the highway. As a guy, I'm getting less people making fun of it and more people liking it than I expected too.

Reliable car but windows freeze/doors won't open

by Itsabug1 from New Hampshire | March 15, 2014

Purchased a 2013 Beetle in Spring of 2013 (not a convertible). Enjoyed driving it all summer and into the fall. Then winter came and the aggravation started. Pros: style, fun to drive, Bluetooth capability, love the interior and lighting, awesome to drive on snowy and slushy roads - this car was unstoppable even on the worse roads this past winter. Cons: windows frequently freeze shut and you can't open the doors! Very poor design here as the window has to drop down so the door opens. I've literally had to force the door open by pulling the window out of the track; but then I'm unable to close the door as the frozen window hits the track that it's supposed to automatically slide back into. I've found that you can close the door to the point that it partially latches though. On most days, after driving about 10 miles with the heat on high and the vent pointing toward the window, enough melting occurs so the window works again. Not the best solution, but there are no other options I'm aware of except having a winter car without this ridiculous design feature and only using the Beetle in the warmer months.

Second TDI Beetle I've owned

by Oilbug from Tybee Island Ga | March 7, 2014

It is My belief that America is asleep when it comes to Diesel powered autos . The torque developed by diesel enigines is remarkable, it is fun to drive using torque instead of RPMS to get a vehicle going . If you visit Europe almost every auto you see is diesel powered . I have owned Two TDI VW Beetles . The fuel mileage is great ,I recently purchased a 2013 Beetle TDI from a dealer 590mi from my home . I set the fuel mileage computer on the beetle ,I drove 70mph almost all of the trip home ,I averaged 45.4 mpg . On the trip If you are looking at a new Vehicle look at a VW TDI . The TDI Engine is offered in several body styles Beetle, Jetta sedan , wagon , Passat VWs flagship Golf , Tureg SUV Beetle convertable . You will be glad you did ! No I don't work for VW.

german design flaw

by beetle bailey from Newark,DE | March 1, 2014

this vehicle is all I expected as it is a diesel convertible,great mpg along with the openness of a motorcycle surrounded with steel and many modern things to make it easy to use.the one thing I have dealt with and seems to be a mistake is ice collects above the rubber gasket on the doors and won't allow the windows to go down which must happen to both open and close the doors with the convertible top.I would recommend a heat element be placed there,in the glass, with a remote start feature included .I love the rear view of the vehicle,very BOXTER-ish looking with the spoiler as a nice touch in the 2013 model.

Most outstanding in town fuel mileage of anything

by Yearly auto buyer from Near Green Bay Wisc | January 30, 2014

We love the overall interior features including the Sirius radio , blue tooth, lighted speakers, USB port, and the auto shift. With less than a 1000 miles on our new beetle tdi we're already getting 30mpg city with below zero temps in northern Wisc , love everything about the car accept could have a softer ride on rough roads

Best MPG EVER!

by TDI Beetle from Boston, MA | January 30, 2014

I drove this car and it is great on gas, TDI's are very reliable, and fun to drive. It drives for itself no heavy gas pedal needed. Cons Doors are half doors and you can hear some wind noise. If that bothers you try a jetta or passat tdi

What a fun car to drive

by vintage car love from Florence/Shoals, Alabama | January 26, 2014

The VW Beetle convertible is such fun to drive. If anyone is looking for a really sharp looking car that can scoot down the road with the best of them then this is the one for you. It is easy to put the top down and back up but the cover is nearly impossible to put on. I wish I could trade it in for the relatively expensive windscreen. THe Turbo is really a nice feature. I found the brakes a little soft however. I like the three levels of heater seats and the door panels with the colored mood lights look pretty cool. The wheels on this beetle are really great looking. I really enjoy diving this car.

Not Your Average Girl Car..

by Tiny T from Long Grove, IL | January 26, 2014

The Beetle was the first car that Volkswagen made. Volkswagen in German means "peoples car", unfortunately the Beetle doesnt have that impression on everyone. Its seen as a "girly" car. Yes, I am a girl, but I feel in love the newly designed Beetle because its sporty look, and fantastic engineering. This is not a girly car anymore, and youll see that after the first test drive. This is a AMAZING vehicle for everyone. Dont hesitate to take one for a test drive, and fall in love.

Beetle cutie

by Love bug from Seattle Wa | January 26, 2014

Live my new beetle convertible. The navigation, Bluetooth features are great. Top is one button operation to put up or down. The styling is awesome and it has a nice little pickup when you step on the gas. I also like the keyless entry. Fun to drive. Only design flaw is when it rains and you open the trunk, water goes right inside. Poor design on that part.

Great Car but can't use in winter

by Disappointed from Rhode Island | January 24, 2014

We bought our 2013 Yellow TDI in March 2013. Loved the TDI, great mileage(35 in a average week), great toque, handled well. Then winter came to Rhode Island, now the windows won't drop so the car doors can be opened. We took it to four dealers and first 3 had same problem as us. They could not get windows to drop when remote unlock was pressed or door handle touched to unlock the door. We called VW America and they said there is no fix just "...do not use it when the weather is cold..." The last dealer we took it too said it worked fine ( in RI you need 4 dealers to be unable to fix it before you can file a lemon law claim). We are very concerned with the reliability of a car that operates the window every time you open and close the door, not to mention be stranded out some where on a cold night when you window won't go down so you can open your car door! By the way one dealer said they tried all the 2013 Beetles and EOSs on the lot one cold morning and none would open...