2002 Volkswagen Cabrio

24 city / 31 hwy

Overall

LOVE MY CABRIO

by cabeky from Union CT. | January 19, 2014

I bought my 2002 Cabrio GLX with two years and 15000 miles on it. I love this car...will never sell it. I fix it when it needs fixin..I am lucky to have a wonderful VW guy close by. Has not been a problem ever! 5 speed...beautiful black leather interior, Marlin Blue. No problems with my ragtop but it is garaged....I would never keep a convertible outside. GREAT in the snow...studded snow tires and its a tank. hate the cupholders. Only complaints...never let it go. Cabeky

Very good on gas and also a fun car to drive.

by Top down, but not top speed. from Maumee, Ohio | October 24, 2011

I traded this car in for my 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster. I am happy with this decision but this Cabrio was one of my best cars I have owned. It was in excellent shape when I purchased it in late 2004. I was diligent in keeping it that way. When I traded it in the dealer had no problems selling it right away and only had to recharge the air conditioner. It got great gas mileage up to 38 on the highway and 28 in the city. Front wheel drive was good in the winter, I won't be driving that crossfire in the winter. It had good pickup speed but it was not built for speed. It is a very good economical car and fun to drive with and without the top down.

Fun Lil Car

by Lil BB from Parkville, MO | March 8, 2011

I love my Cabrio! I have about 60,000mi on her and she has come with issues, but what car that was built in 2002 won't?!? My issues were the motor in my windows went a little crazy and my sensors on my ABS went bad, other than that, I've had a smooth ride with her. Gas mileage is great with prices going insane, insurance on her isn't damaging being a convertible and she is small so it's great to manuever her in tight parking spots that a lot of cars these days can't dream of fitting into. This car does not scream luxury so if you're looking for a Lexus, this would be a wrong pick for you. This car is simple, fun and to the point, no real extras unless you want to count the heated seats. My a/c and heater work amazing, sound is great, however, if you ask my husband he wants to put after markets in her. Great summer or around the city car! She's not bad in the winter, haven't had any problems yet!!Have no intentions on ever getting rid of her, but do have plans to add the EOS to my addition! :)

Fun, cute, compact

by Max from NY | February 25, 2011

Had this car since it was new in '98. Never had any problems with it commuting 60 miles a day. A blast to drive in the summer with the top down. No mechanical issues but it did start rusting really bad on the passenger side door and gas cap. Have over 160k miles and besides the rust, she runs wonderful. Love the 5 speed, engine is peppy but not super powerful and it gets 30+ mpg for me.

Better have a deep checkbook

by Sonny winston from Swanton, Vt | October 25, 2010

Purchased a 2002 auto Cabrio with 79000 miles. It's been in the shop 7 times in the first 1000 miles. Mostly warning light problems. Put exhaust and rear wheel bearing on, but that kind of stuff is expected. Once you fix it, it's done. These light problems are very fustrating, next step is replace the computer that may be giving false info. Everything on a VW is expensive.Too bad it wasn't built by the Japanese, then it would work.

Most stylish car I've ever owned

by Single Mom from Chicago, IL | September 11, 2010

Exceptionally good looking. Very comfortable for 2 people. Expensive to fix or keep up. Rather poor on gas mileage. Personally I still love it because it is so very good looking. It feels great to drive, but, again I wish it got better gas mileage and wasn't so darn expensive to keep up.

the green lemon

by Jodyancobee from Timonium, to Elkton, Maryland | September 5, 2010

It sucks... All the mysterious code repairs not yet fixed after spending "OVER" the purchase price of $22,k.. The car is really a burden as well as a life threatening "box" that has locked me inside in the middle of the winter with no way out, electrically corrupt, and uncrackable. I have only time and repeated persistence to free me in these instances! No one knows why or how to identify and repair it.

Wanted a rag top!

by Wanted a rag top from Jacksonville, FL | April 11, 2010

After 4 starters and a new transmission (old one siezed), this car has wornout any sense of optimism that it would last. I love it but cannot drive it more than my AAA tow service would bring me home. Heated seats are great. Good ride. Small trunk (will not hold golf bag with all the clubs without dropping the back seat (so why not just throw them in the back seat?) Sound system is good. The glue is failing on the car now. The top is developing holes in the heat sealed seams.

Das Auto.... Really ?

by Vanessa (my cabrio) from Alexandria, LA | October 20, 2009

The first 6 months with my 2002 VW Cabrio were pure bliss. Logged plenty of miles around town, and even to see family in N.C.. The ride was comfortable and I trusted my Cabrio to get me where I needed to be in style. In the fall the weather turned cool and Vanessa (my VW)turned her back on me. Power steering problems, transmission problems, door parts falling off, windows doing crazy things, and to top it all off the convertable will not retract. I had fallen out of love. Since then I have shopped around and tried to ditch Vanessa;however,all dealers seem to know the secret that was witheld from me, she is worthless... Soo I am stuck with her until I graduate in 2yrs.

Fun Fun Fun!

by Cabrio02 from Salt Lake City | September 18, 2009

I love my 2002 Cabrio! Small, sporty, Cheap to drive! I have had no problems with it ever. I bought it Close to new and still own it. I plan to by the new EOS but still keep my Cabrio.

Featured Services for this Volkswagen Cabrio