1998 Volkswagen Golf

$31–$7,011

Overall

Fun, Roomy, Economical, Reliable, A+

by Driving Fan from Los Angeles | July 20, 2013

I've owned a 98 VW Golf K2 since new. Now 15 years old with 125K on it. Car has been stellar. I had the usual VW power windows issue, but once that was fixed, there's been no surprises. It's as rock steady reliable as any Toyota. . . but way more fun to drive than any Asian econobox. Great practicality, for instance, the rear seat just doesn't tumble, it folds flat, giving you a nearly flat load floor and 49 cubic feet of space. I can get my bicycle inside without removing the front wheel. Plenty of pep in traffic, parks easily with its variable ratio power steering. Super comfortable seats. Full sized rear doors and comfortable seating for four with a very small exterior. The Mark 3 Golf was the car VW got right. After 15 years, I still look forward to driving it.

Awesome used car

by VW enthusiast from New York, NY | April 2, 2012

I bought the 1998 VW Golf in January ($2900 from a dealership) as an everyday city driver (live in NYC). It had 102,000 miles on it when I picked it up. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for VW's and always liked the late 90's model Golf hatchbacks (looks less like a Japanese car like the newer ones... they still have the more angular styling like real German cars). This car is built very well. Everything works exceptionally well for a 14 year old car. The only thing I've had to do is get an alignment. I'd recommend this car to anyone.

Good performance and reliability

by Goldminer from Gadsden, AL | October 22, 2008

Owned a '98 GTI for a couple of years. It is the most reliable car I ran into + good gas mileage. Love performance and handling. Nothing ever broke, so I never had to fix anything. Totally recommend to anyone. Exciting car for small budget.

One of the best cars I've had.

by ProjectFastVW from Norfolk, VA :( | July 28, 2008

I have a Tornado Red GTI VR6, I absolutely love this car. Not only is it a fairly quick car, but the door panels, hood, grill, headlights, and pretty much everything else is interchangeable with other VW models, but I'm sure you knew that already. I highly recommend this car to everyone. It's extremely fun to drive!

My 98 GL 268K miles running strong!!

by Silverrose from Kensington, MD | December 13, 2007

This 98 VW Golf Gl is probably one of the best Cars i have ever owned. Its very reliable, great on gas, easy to monoover through traffic and great for those tight parking spaces. I have over 268k miles on my VW and it is still running strong. i have never had to replace anything major on it except for your basic things like tires breaks and wipers. VW golf would be my first choice if i had to choose a car. Toyota corola would be my 2nd choice.

recent work done

by GREAT GAS MILEAGE from CHICAGO, IL. 60634 | June 22, 2006

WE RECENTLY HAD A NEW EXFHAUST AND NEW WIPERS PUT ON. WE HAD THE POWER STEERING REPAIRED AND SEVERAL MINOR REPAIRS DONE ON THIS CAR.

Featured Services for this Volkswagen Golf