2001 Volkswagen Golf

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Far from groovin'

by rolo68 from Florida | January 17, 2013

I bought this car as a basic commuter car to and from work 30mi from my home. Overall, I think it's fun to drive, and I like that it's "zippy" - but thats really about it. The gas miledge is pretty low for a car of this size and weight in it's class- about 23mpg overall. electronics and controls are quirky, plastic knobs and dials are adequate, but second rate. and while parts are readily available and relitively cheap, it's a car that I have to continually monitor and work on to keep running.

Solid German Car!

by German Car Fanatic from Houston, TX | March 19, 2012

I bought my 2001 Golf 2.0 liter 5 speed in 2010 from the original owner who was buying a 2010 Golf. The Golf had 103,000 miles. The maintenance was up to date with timing belt done at 80,000 miles as specified. Over the past two years (15,000 miles) I have replaced the drivers window regulator ($250), replaced an air flow sensor ($140), 5 oil changes, and a new set of tires. The car drives fantastic, sporty, and gets great gas mileage. The cloth interior is quality material with no rips or tears after 11 years. All of the electical components work including heated exterior mirrors. Overall, I highly rate the Volkwagen with 2.0 liter normally aspirated engine. Manual transmission is smooth shifting and fun, and most importantly reliable.

Great car!!

by gibby363 from Lancaster, OH | January 23, 2012

I bought a TDI and I love it! 40+ mpg in the winter with an auto trans!! Can't wait till summer!!! Super reliable, even at 225000 miles!!

Fun when chipped

by First time owner from | August 13, 2010

I loved to drive this car. Steering, clutch, and ride felt great. Repairs are costly however. If you do get it chipped make sure it's good software and a good company performing it. Mine was not done properly. When they are done well these cars are "Torque Monsters" Fun car but not fun repairs.

OK car but has had it's share of problems

by VWCline from Maryland | March 2, 2010

I bought my 2001 VW Golf (manual) brand new. At this writing it has about 128k miles. The engine seal went bad while still under warranty (37k miles) but it still burns more oil than it should - but apparantly within "normal" range according to VW. If you have to replace the catalytic converter (I did at 117k miles) buy the VW brand (~$900)and not a cheaper aftermarket brand (~$330) as my Golf rejected the non-VW brand! It's an expensive repair so don't waste money on labor/parts on the non-VW brand converter - the off brand failed on me at after 6k miles. Cup holders (front & rear) and center arm rest are cheap plastic and will break. I've replaced lots of other parts - mass airflow sensor, serpentine belt, electronic coolant temp sensor, coolant fan & thermostat, timing belt & water pump, cam shaft positioning sensor. On the positive side, it has ~128k miles and I've never replaced the clutch or had any problems w/the transmission. Initial cost was moderately low but repairs have been expensive. I'll keep it until it dies - repairs are still cheaper than a new car payment!

The best car

by zorro from | February 3, 2010

I just LOVE VW's , it is the best car what i ever had, fast,strong,powerfull, easy to handle, economic and good prices on it.

Ok, but flimsy and pretty unreliable

by love/hate relationship from | September 21, 2009

I have a 2001 golf turbo, its quick, but thats the only thing i like about it. The windows rattle in the door when down, the turbo cuts in and out, and the it goes through coils like underwear. When i get more money im getting rid of it!

Excellent car

by sig_1978 from | July 15, 2009

I had a golf GLS and it is the best car I have ever owned. It is very safe and easy to handle. Highly recommended.

Ok, but no bells or whistles, and just Ok.

by "Golfie" from Buffalo, New York | March 31, 2009

I bought my 2001 Golf in 2002 after it had been sitting on the lot for year. It had 63 test drive miles on it. It's the base model, so the windows are crank. Initially, I was surprised by the cheapness of the doors. They made creaks at high speeds. The roof rack, which I negotiated at sale, makes a humming sound at 40 MPH which is worse yet in the rain...louder. The car is just ok. I have 83,000 miles on it now and I am looking to replace it. Everything went at 82,550; alternator, front and back brakes, control arm bushing wheel bearings and muffler! So, it's been one heck of a year of disappointment when it comes to the Golf. I would not buy this car again (I plan to look at the Subaru Impreza Outback Sport. It's the car I wanted back in 2002, but couldn't afford it so I got the Golf). Another thing about VWs. I don't know why they think a dial is a good way to recline a seat back. The dial design is a sure-fire mechanism to increase tendonitis. I long for a lever with an easily reclining seat in a VW!

Featured Services for this Volkswagen Golf