2003 Volkswagen Golf

See Photos & Videos

Overall

2003 Golf GLS TDI

by Diesel over Hybrid from Seattle, WA | April 21, 2014

Bought this car used from the original owner with around 115,000 miles on it. So far I love this car and have had no issues with it aside from a glow plug that I needed to replace, which was simple and I was able to do it myself. I have a long commute to work and I average around 49-50 mpg, nearly all of my driving is freeway. The Good: Great gas mileage! Car drives great and feels tight. City Driving is simple and parking is easy thanks to its size. Very reliable car, I've heard bad things about the gas models but the TDI is very relaible. The Bad: -Car does not have a lot of horsepower, but this car was designed with fuel economy in mind not power. -Interior is small, I have trouble fitting my golf clubs in the trunk but I have driven the car with 4 adults and no complaints for short distances. I would definitely recommend this car to a friend, it's too bad there aren't more cars like this being built

best small car

by diesel lover from Bay City, MI | September 24, 2012

Get 50 MPG, pulls my pop-up trailer, seats 4 comfortably, pushing 120,000 miles, and still runs like the day we bought it. That's reliability.

VW Golf TDI

by Diesel Mania from MI, DC, NVA, NC OBX...all over | February 13, 2012

I've had this car since 2005 and it had 38k on it then so I've put about 220k in 7 years on this little thing. I really have loved it. The timing BELT is the only drawback. I think that is by far one of the most stupid designs especially for a small diesel with an interference head. Should be a chain or gear with or without the extra noise. The problems I did have all stemmed from that belt breaking and not many people (including the dealer) knowing what they are doing when working on it. It's really in a class by itself. I small commuter (over 40 mpg) with lots of hatch space and the ability to tow 1100#s. I've used it with a small trailer to haul engines and other small items that don't require my full size 2500. Saves a lot on fuel. I've also towed my HD with it. It is a little weak but it will get there and eventually it will get up to speed. I'm keeping it despite just buying a 2008 Jeep GC Diesel (CRD) to replace it. That's how much I like it.

Perfect Car for 16 year old's first car

by WillieVR6 from Columbus OH | January 2, 2012

Excellent first car for my 16 year old daughter. It's not to big and not to small in the 4 door model to get her and my son back and forth to school safely. Love the ergonomics of the car for the driver who has a clear view of the roadway ahead, and it stops quickly and safely with 4 wheel disc brakes, and abs too. The front and side curtain air bags provide peace of mind in case anything should happen. I put new snow tires on some old VW Passat Rims, and they fit perfect on the 2003 Golf so it's ready for whatever old man winter has instore for us. The VW Golf is the perfect fit for my Daughter to safely learn how to drive.

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by awesome from | July 13, 2009

best year VW ever made was the 2003. recommend manual over automatic tranny. the GL is very quick and loaded with great power options

Safest, reliable, solid car for the money!

by Biker from Southern California | February 18, 2007

I own a 4 Dr Hatchback and drive it every day. It is very solid, gets good gas mileage (29-31 mpg highway, and safe car (ABS, front and side air bags) No mechanical repairs, only consumables like oil and filters. This is my second Golf, gave my first to my daughter who drives it 20,000 miles a year. The sound system is great, especially with the 6 CD changer which is integrated into the radio. We usually have the rear seats folded down and so we have a lot of room for cargo.

Worthless

by Disappointed from Chicago | September 16, 2006

I bought this car for my wife in 2003, and currently we have 35,000 miles on it. Unfortunately we had to learn the hard way that Volkswagen is not a great "German Engineered" car. In fact my "American" 2000 Chevy Malibu is more reliable. The brake lights are constantly going out on the Golf. The transmission jumps between 20-40 mph (which the mechanic at the dealer says is normal). The Gear shifter malfunctioned leaving us stuck in a mall parking lot, and then reoccured later (the dealer can't "replicate", so they won't fix). Interior is very noisy especially on a rough road. The only good thing that I can say is there are a lot of nice creature comforts such as the heated seats, but overall this car is worthless.

Best equipped small car available

by KiKi from Santa Monica, CA | August 11, 2006

We got this car because it was the only small car adjustable for both of us: I am over 6' and my wife is just over 5'. Driver's and Passenger front seats have easy lever operated height adjustments. Cars twice the price don't always have this! Heated mirrors are standard as is an excellent 8 speaker sound system with radio, cassette and CD (prewired for adding a 6 disc changer). This too is superior to many more expensive vehicles. Standard cruise control, a/c and variable intermittent wipers are worth noting also. Safety too is excellent with side impact airbags standard, front and rear seat belts are height adjustable, as are all five headrests. The steering wheel has height and telescopic adjustments. The four wheel disc brakes have ABS. We have now driven 45,000 miles, including two multi-thousand mile cross country trips. This is no sports car, but it is a great, solid performer. MPG is exactly as stated by the manufacturer and will not be less than 30 highway if you do not exceed 75mph. One last great advantage: 10.000 mile oil change intervals if done by VW (with the correct high performance oil filter) which makes them much cheaper than Jiffy Lube!

Featured Services for this Volkswagen Golf