2013 Volkswagen Golf

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Love my Golf

by Golf Driver from | April 21, 2014

I traded in a nice but bulky SUV and have never regretted it. I have the two-door standard version and although I would have preferred the four-doors, it has worked out fine giving my 8-year-old plenty of room in the back seat. It is sturdy, fun to drive, and has a lot of personality. I plan on keeping this car for a very long time - it is a part of our family!

vw golf for seniors

by reliable auto owner from Kingman, Az | December 12, 2013

good car with only 1 fault, Should have bought a 4 door, doors are too wide for easy parking without hitting other cars, Otherwise every thing is fine. Good ride,good economy and is fun to drive.

Love my new car!

by Kimberly from Pittsburgh pa | October 16, 2013

I bought the basic model and I absolutely love it! It is very affordable. The engine is very powerful. Great control and visibility. I actually feel safer and live to drive now! The salesmen showed me how strong it was, he leaned up on the door, tried to dent it, I was impressed. Too bad after the sale he snubbed me and didn't have it washed or cleaned. But otherwise the car was worth it!

Volkswagen Means Value and Reliability

by Beep-Beep from Reno,NV | September 9, 2013

My spouse has job that requires significant driving, upwards of 450 miles per week. We had a 2005 Volvo S-40 that was up to 159,000 miles and was starting to consistently have minor problems. She does receive a "car allowance" from her employer and we wanted to keep the vehicle purchase within that allowance. We were hoping to get 200,000 out of the Volvo, but it just kept having small and sometimes pricey repairs. We looked at a number of smaller 5 door hatchbacks, and it came down to the Golf and the Ford Focus. The 5 door Focus is great car, but very limited availability in our area and added dealer markups put the car at the $30K price point and made us take a second look at the Golf. I have owned a number of Volkswagens from early “Bugs” to GTI’s and always found them to be a safe, sturdy vehicle with above average performance. The 2013 Golf rates very well with consumers and automotive report reviews. It is the number five rated best affordable small car in the world. The highway fuel mileage is below the Focus (and others) and this fact takes it down a few places in most ratings. The overall vehicle finishes are as tight and clean as the Focus, and the available options come very close to the Focus. The interior is clean and modern, if somewhat spartan, with cloth seats and multiple airbags. The electronics are basic, but extremely functional. The only change I made was to add an Alpine Parrot Bluetooth receiver with multiple format and device input options, rather than pay the additional $4K for alloy wheels, a sunroof, and the VW Bluetooth radio. The install kit fit perfectly and took approximately one hour for the install. One of the features that I find entertaining is that the alarm lock sound matches the original Beetle horn with a "beep-beep". A nice subtle nod to Volkswagen's history. We purchased the base model Golf for $21,046. The ride, handling, and engine performance, are slightly better than the Focus in my opinion. The steering is tight, the ride solid, and the performance, even with the DSG Tiptronic AT, met my expectations for a German automobile. My spouse wanted a safe, reliable, inexpensive car that would hold its value through a five year time span. This vehicle fits the bill. Volkswagen has one happy customer here again.

Awesome Car!

by Dogged from Jacksonville, FL | May 24, 2013

Three years ago, I needed a new car to haul my kids around. They were 9 and 12. I tried a VW Golf TDI, which I loved, but ultimately ended up buying a Mazda 5 microvan--in fact, my review of it is still on this website. The Mazda was very useful, but did nothing to excite me. Last week, I finally got the TDI I should have gotten three years ago. My now much bigger children fit in the back seat with room to spare, plus we carpool with two other teenagers. Hard to believe, but this is a fine family car. Americans are so used to needing large vehicles, but so many needs can be met with smaller cars. I got the red automatic, and it is so, so, so fun to drive--especially after driving the Mazda 5 for three years. I am so glad I made the switch. I hope to have my new car for many years.

A Great Little Car

by TDI Owner from Los Angeles, CA | May 5, 2013

This car came with the Tech Package, which gives you the Nav, sunroof, xenon lights, and keyless entry and start. At bit bewildering that the full power seats and leather trim are not even an option on the TDI. The DSG takes a while to get used to as it is basically a dry clutchplate (two at that) manual transmission that doesn't have a clutch pedal but is fully automatic in shifting. I have never felt a more traditional automatic transmission downshift the way this one does while you are going down a hill with your foot off the throttle pedal, not a bad thing, just different. There are TWO ways to manually select the gears, through two switches on the steering wheel or by placing the floor mounted gear selector lever to a manual shift detent. I really have to wonder how much people all really going to use these features, but they are there for you. Throttle tip in is a little bit on the slow side, but again not a bad thing, you just have to get used to it. Nav screen is on the small side but there is a repeater display between the speedometer and tach that uses symbols and arrows to display turns so in combination to the Nav screen it works great. Air Conditioning is completely manual and auto climate control is not offered. You may want to wait and look at the 2014 Golf if you are in the market as I understand it is a redesign from the 2013. However, if you can get a good deal on a 2013 I would say go for it.

Great driving and commuting car

by coiler from Dayton, OH | November 9, 2012

Bought a 2013 Golf TDI wit technology package and DSG primarily to use as a commuter. Easily exceeds EPA milage predictions with highway mpg usually over 50 and local/city mpg in low 40's. Much more comfortable on longer trips than I initially expected and very quiet. Much more fun to drive than any hybrid that I had tried including the new C-Max from Ford. Interior is upscale compared to competition. Wish a back up camera and auto on headlights were available

Love my new VW Golf TDI

by doogie from Denver, CO | September 24, 2012

Excellent new vehicle. Great Power and performance with outstanding fuel economy. Many nice features available.