1997 Volkswagen Golf

See Photos & Videos

Overall

No Way 250K

by Driven to Distraction from Atlanta, Georgia | November 3, 2008

In 1997 when I bought this new 6 cyl 5-speed VW "pocket rocket" the salesman told me I'd get "250K miles out of it" but numerous (& often repetitive) problems kept it at the dealer service center way too much (& often in vain - eg., the electrical system stumped VW experts). Recurring "check engine" warnings made me reluctant to take it on road trips. At 67K I reluctantly called it quits. Replacement parts & tires are costly & scarce, slow to arrive & sometimes failed within hours of installation. When it was up & running it drove wonderfully well but those fleeting moments couldn't compensate for all the down time, trouble & expense. I'm seldom one to "do the math" but I could have owned a luxury car for what I sank into this near-lemon. On the plus side, it was small but sturdy, good on gas & heaven to drive compared to most cars I've driven in the USA & abroad. It was hard to find a suitable replacement among the choices available these days. To my surprise, its value declined rapidly - I paid too much for it initially & dealer services only added to my stress.

Sleeper

by CrzyAsn from | October 30, 2008

This car is amazing! It doesn't look like much, and that is probably my most favorite feature. It comes stock with 172 hp and 173 ft/lb torque which means you can race and beat any eclipse before 05 that has not been modified.

Featured Services for this Volkswagen Golf