2015 Volkswagen GTI

25 city / 34 hwy

Overall

Fun,Fun,Fun

by Ginnie NJ from NJ | August 27, 2014

very comfortable interior, good ride, great handling,quiet and smooth. A very refined car but fun to drive. plenty of room for running groceries and trips. My husband loves driving it. gas mileage not as good as advertised because tendency to use turbo when possible. Love the plaid seats. First GTI. I wanted a fun car to drive but not a race car. This car is plenty fast.

Love my GTI

by Victoria the speed demon from Corpus Christi, TX | August 19, 2014

I love my new Volkswagen GTI! Great gas mileage, great performance and great looks! Really love it. What more could you want from a vehicle. It's as much fun as driving my motorcycle!

Much improved over previous generation

by Earl from OC | August 11, 2014

I test drove the previous generation and it practically put me to sleep. The accelerator pedal was slow to respond, it had very little torque, and felt like a Golf with a few extra horses. Now I get into the new 2015 base model and BAM this thing has some spunk. The 50 or so extra lbs/ft of torque is immediately noticeable. I floor it and my face instantly forms a smile. The shifts are crisp. No hunting for gears. Nice job VW, nice job. The interior is nice. I wouldn't call it luxury but it's close. Everything just seems to integrate perfectly with everything else. I love the plaid seats. It's a matter of taste... you either like them or you don't. The standard features on the base model seem adequate. Power locks & windows, cruise, bluetooth (no AUX port!). The car feels solid. It will take you to work every day in comfort and on the weekends you can have some fun on twisties. My biggest gripes with this car are the clutch and cost. The clutch is on the heavy side. I can just imagine being stuck on the I5 for 3 hours in traffic and working that heavy clutch over and over. This is a scenario that must be considered before buying this car. The dealer had them marked up by 5K. Apparently they are selling well and they see no need to discount them. Considering the difference of 3K-5K between this and a 2014 Focus ST, I did the only thing I could and got the ST. Now the ST is nowhere near as polished as this car inside and out, but in my humble opinion it has more fun factor and is truly a bargain (best bang for the buck). BTW, all the reviews have the GTI with more rear legroom and I did not find this to be the case. In both the GTI and the ST, I adjusted the driver seat to my liking and then sat behind it. I felt that I had more rear leg room in the Focus ST. In conclusion, if you don't care about the cost and you live in an area with little traffic then the new GTI is a great option. It feels solid, grown up, and has a lot more torque.

VW GTI is the only way to go

by Veronica from Northeast NJ | July 22, 2014

Had VW Beetles (manual trans) until I ordered a 1987 GTI 4-speed manual trans with the options I wanted. Loved it! Then ordered a 1998 VW GTI VR6 5-speed manual trans with all available options except leather seats and used them all. ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT and after 15 years with it, I think it will always be the best car I ever drove/owned. After 25 years with GTIs, I'm hooked. Tested several other brands, but wasn't excited about buying or driving them. June 2014, bought a 2015 VW GTI 6-speed manual trans (SE package). Getting used to its entirely different feel (electronic and in-line engine vs.the '98 mechanical/hydraulic V6). Only put on 500 miles in the 3 weeks I've had it, but I'm finding I'm driving with a smile on my face. My biggest complaints - 1) the SE package was to have 8-way electric seat adjustments, but not in the SE package currently out; 2) CD player is in glove box (at least it has one), making it impossible to change CDs while driving (music quality is a must); 3) can't see the front corners of car - curb and front corner detectors would me helpful; 4) horn is in center of steering wheel and requires a really firm press -- prefer to have near thumb position so can quickly beep to alert drivers coming into my space and avoid accidents; 5) front passenger seat doesn't fold forward (have 4-dr now, but had 2-dr and used that front seat forward position a lot when transporting purchased items like furniture, wood, etc.) JOYS OF DRIVING IT are many: - Clutch is easier to press down; - floor mats are secured to floor, so don't have to keep kicking them back to avoid getting under the clutch pedal; - great shifting motion; - comfy seats for long trips and quality of the leather feels strong and durable; - dashboard very attractive, plain enough to see and reach all features quickly, and doesn't give a distracting reflection in the front windshield; - no blind spots in the back or along the sides of the front windshield; - hands-free phone system is great and voice commands make it easy to use and keep eyes on the road (although I'm not a big phone user in the car); - driving info gives great details when on the center console display (have always enjoyed checking my miles/time/mph/mpg info); - steering wheel feels solid and comfortable for the hands and hasn't felt hot from the sun, and the features on it are just enough; - love the new sunroof look from the outside and inside, and the cover doesn't have to open when sliding the roof back so you're not exposed to the sun if you don't want to be; - backup camera nice feature and finding it helpful; - nice tight responsive steering; - great tight cornering, especially when accelerating to pull you through an unexpectedly sharp turn; - fast enough to be so much FUN TO DRIVE. Great for commuting to work, driving to the shore or NY State or anywhere else, great for carrying some furniture, boxes, helping friends move, food shopping, and great for taking lunchtime naps. Four snow tires on 16" steel wheels will take me through the Winter with no problems.