2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen

Available in 3 styles:  2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen 4dr shown

Overall

Just What I Wanted

by JohnB from Highland Village, TX | August 10, 2013

While it's no sportscar, it looks and drives great. Enough power to merge onto the highway and get around slowpokes. No squeaks or rattles and a gorgeous paint job - Germans know paint. Only thing on wish list: backup camera, fog lights and auto climate control. Otherwise everything you need. The TDi is giving me great MPG which was the main reason for the purchase.

Love my 2012 Jetta TDI

by retired teacher from Walsenburg, CO | August 7, 2013

We've had the car for a few weeks and love the handling and especially the fuel mileage! We live in the foothills of the Rockies and drive small highways, freeways and a few back roads. We're impressed with the little Jettta! We averaged 44.3 mpg on our first fill up. The 6 speed manual transmission is easy to use and gives the car needed power when needed going up hills, just shift to 5th and fly right up!

TDI Sportwagen

by Dave from AK | June 22, 2013

My wife and I purchased this vehicle and drove it from Florida to Homer, AK. It drove like a dream, and we only spent $500 in fuel on the trip, $500 with a topper and two bikes!!! In that aspect its great! People complaining about the length of time it takes for their car to heat up need to realize it is a diesel engine, not a gasoline one. It does take some time for the diesel to get warm, but it isn't an eternity. The one problem we are having right now is an airbag light. We are still trying to get the car over to Anchorage to get it fixed, but it has been proving difficult due to the Alaska Marine Highway system, not VWs fault. The vehicle is very comfortable, but if you are over 6', yes the driver/passenger front seat headrests can be uncomfortable. I am planning to try and purchase some better tires as well, because the ones I have on their now due create a lot of road vibration noise. They are low profile tires, though... I haven't had any issues with the blue tooth, other than hitting the button on the steering wheel by accident. It should be noted that when you park and put the transmission in park, if you are on an incline the car will roll about half a foot backwards. Very annoying in my opinion. The rash of HPFP issues does have me concerned, but I am not quite ready to trade the VW in, yet. All in all it is a good car, with plenty of room, and comparable gas mileage of a Prius, but with more pep, comfort, and style.

Safe Yet Sporty

by Huskerchick3 from Little Rock, AR | March 29, 2013

I have had my 2012 VW Jetta Sportwagen SN TDI for about 10 months now and can't say enough great things about it. It definitely has that "German handling." My niece loves it when I make it "zip" along. I find the interior practical yet upscale - in that German understated upscale way. I feel very grounded when I am in the car. My only negative comment about the car is the way the turbo causes it to lug when driving under 10 mph, like in a parking garage. The positives from the turbo outweigh the weird lugging, but it was something I had to get used to. I absolutely love the true red Cornhusker color of the exterior and I enjoy what the car says about me (I think) - that I appreciate a finer automobile without going overboard, I am concerned about fuel efficiency, and I love to make a car go "zip"! Great for anyone wanting the cargo space of an SUV but who also wants better fuel efficiency and more safety (lower center of gravity, less rollover chance).

Not thrilled

by Carlib from California | December 17, 2012

I purchased this car and had high expectations. It does run well and gets better gas mileage that my jeep did, but the bluetooth system in it is horrible. Nobody can hear me when I talk on it. The heater doesn't kick in for about 20 minutes, which is very disappointing on a chilly morning. The car shudders a bit when driving at slower speeds. If I knew all of these things before buying the car, I definitely would have chosen something different. $30,000 is a lot to spend for problems like this.

Worth the extra money.

by PaulD from portage la prairie | December 8, 2012

We purchased the TDI diesel Wagon with the automatic transmission and love it. Awesome ride even in a cold Canadian winters day. I love the way the transmission shifts. If driven right you don't need to break much when coming to a stop. The fuel economy is what makes the car worth the extra money. We are saving the car payment in fuel costs alone. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone with an on the go busy family. The cars safety features are incredible.

New 2012 Jetta Sportwagon

by abswiss from Florida | September 27, 2012

I could onl give 3 stars to comfort because the fron seat Headrest are so far forward that my head is pushed so far forward that I get a headache driving for more than an hour. I was told by VW that they had to do that because of safety regulations.

A great car maybe the best in states of America

by mrorganic from Central Washington state | September 24, 2012

I love the performance and the room this car has. It has amazing power for the mileage. I have less than 3000 miles and so far and have averaged 42 - 43 MPG, which is disappointing to me, but the power and performance are amazing. I am hoping to get better mileage. I drive about 90% highway. I am really amazed at the diesels that VW has made.

Great car

by irishmariner from Stamford, CT | September 23, 2012

I've owned trucks for the past 8 years and since the rising price of diesel and fuel mileage, i finally chose to down size. The jetta sportwagon TDI was a great choice. Love the car. Fast. Sporty. Looks good, handles even better. Steering is appropriate to the turn. I don't feel the need to oversteer at all. Only complaint (again, after driving trucks) is that there isn't a whole lot of storage space in the cabin for personal effects. Also, since i traded in my truck (chevy 2500 long bed, crew cab) i was hoping to get more for the trade in, but i'm sure that is dealer specific. Seeing as it's a diesel, I havent had the chance to try it out with winter starts yet, but a good friend of mine has the same car, 2011 though, but he never had an issue with starting his car...and that was in Vermont...at 10 degrees...something tells me i'll be fine

My last VW

by jb from South Carolina | September 6, 2012

For me, VW was a brand to be trusted. That is, until I bought a $30,000 Jetta tdi Sportwagen. During the test drive the car shuttered when accelerating. I felt it. My wife felt it. And, the salesman felt it. The salesman said it was because the car had been "sitting". Now the car needs to have something replaced in the transmission. VW will not swap the car for a new one. Fortunately for me, once the car is repaired, I can afford to drive to the nearest American or Japanese dealership and trade it.