2001 Volkswagen Jetta

Available in 13 styles:  2001 Volkswagen Jetta 4dr Sedan shown

Overall

2001 VW - Best car that I've owned

by sam from Tampa, FL | August 7, 2014

I had purchase this car brand new back in 2001. And, let me tell you that this car is great! Good on gas miles, fast on highway when driving. And, is a safe and reliable on the road. Still driving this car with 125,000 miles. And, I know that I will get over 200,000 miles on this car. Just like my friend did with this same car.

Excellent Highway Car

by Little Black Puffs from Sinking Spring PA | May 4, 2014

The TDI is ment to cover a lot of pavement. Low 40's MPG on the highway and lower entry cost than a hybrid. BUT a Diesel has some higher maintenance needs than a gas car, However, it will last much longer. Got mine with 125K and I'm hoping to get at lest 10 years out of it. There are some issues I still need to fix but overall this is a very solid car that provides excellent mileage. 5 speed transmission is tight, very agile, good breaks, comfortable interior. DON'T GET A DIESEL if you do around town driving most of the time. go gas or hybrid.

Great reliable affordable car

by VW fan from Schaumburg, IL | January 11, 2013

I've owned 3 VWs in my life, 2 Jettas and 1 Golf, and I absolutely love VW : you get a German-engineered great car for a very competitive price, much lower than other Germans! I never had any reliability issues other than normal wear, they're comfortable and very nicely made. The exterior design is not fantastic, but to each his own. The guys at my local VW dealership are also very nice and helpful, free wash, free fluid top-ups, etc. Buying a VW is a sensible buy, new or pre-owned.

Piece of junk I ever purchased

by Need a reliable car from El Monte, CA | December 27, 2012

I had been taking this car from mechanic to mechanic. After the mechanic fixes something the light,check engine goes up again, and now one more ligh epc is on. Can't wait to get rid of it.

2001 Jetta TDI

by Al the car man from Lansing MI | November 27, 2012

I just got this car from my aunt, and she bought it new. My 01 Jetta now has 282,000 miles! I love the Turbo on this diesel engine! Over the years of my aunts ownership it has been an expesive little car. From brake boosters to intake manifold to an oil pan. The original automatic transmission just went out and $800 later runs like new. I still get mid 40's MPG and love that. It is a great college car and hope it lasts till i graduate!

My first car...

by Jackwagen from Chicago, IL | May 13, 2012

I've been driving this car for four years now ever since I turned 16, and love every minute of driving it. I have the VR6 model and man can this thing drive. You might think this car would be on the slower end with only 174hp, but this thing moves. VW wants to make a car that responds well to the driver, and they give you just that with about 180 lbs.-ft of torque. Whenever a friend drives they notice immediately that the gas is very touchy, and usually why I don't let friends drive in the first place. Friends also notice the "crayon" smell, and honestly I love it. It gives the car a new car smell, and I'm surprised to see some people complaining about it (unless they're having health issues due to the smell then that's understandable). My friend's impressions of the car in general: they think it's a much newer model than 2001 and usually can't believe it's an 11 year old car. As far as maintenance this car can be expensive to repair, but honestly if you wanted a car that was cheaper to repair you shouldn't have bought a German car in the first place. This car has NOT ONCE broken down on me. EVER. So I consider it reliable. Take care of this car, and it will last. It's really fun to drive as well.

stay away

by HorribleVWCRAP from canada | March 13, 2012

only good thing about the car is the interior. oxygen sensors seem to fail constantly. every sensor seems to fail. bought it at 125K and over two years only put 19K on it. but during that time the alternator broke twice. then the radiator needed replacing, wiper fluid leaked, then i got that fixed the wiper fluid light would still come on. inside the car would smell like crayons during the summer. now i know thats from the awful AC unit that took forever to get going. then my starter broke. then my crank sensor. then the transmission computer chip died and i was stuck third gear no matter what for about a week. oh and most shops cant even work on VW. everything needs to go to the dealership to hook up to thier computer. they also have the worst customer service in the world. ranked dead last of any automaker for customer service. repairs cost a small fortune. the thing also likes to gulp engine oil... needed to be topped off almost every two weeks.. and this is normal they told me. i wanted to get a spare key cut for my son, i couldnt just go to the mall and get one cut in three minutes for 5 bucks like i did with the key to my Nissan. had to go to the dealership and pay, wait for it.... 240 dollars for a key!!!! this is the kind of BS u get when u buy VW. i must have spent about 10 grand in two years in repairs on a car with less then 150K... interior peices are breaking all the time too, door handle broke, the cheap cup holders that slide out of the dash do a nice job of blocking the air vents and radio controls. front bumpers air dram hangs insanely low to the ground and is in the shape of a hook as well, hooks on the curb so when u reverse and your bumper is over the curb or side walk the front bumper will hook on and i kid you not fall off. german engineering is a joke. and since its only 4speed have fun being a pylon on the highway. anything over 120KM and the pathetic engine in the thing loudly struggles along at 34 RPM. STAY FAR AWAY FROM THIS CAR

Worst car in the entire world. or at least close t

by cnorr from Pittsburgh, PA | February 7, 2012

the only thing I like about this car is the switchblade key and the beep it makes when you lock it. I purchased this car as my first car. it was 10 years old and I paid way too much. 2 weeks after I got it, the check engine light came on and I needed a new oxygen censor. the car was also pretty dirty when I purchased it and smelt like crayons. almost everyone that got into my car asked why I was coloring in it, joking or not. I purchased the car in August and by October it started randomly not starting. My parents bought be a new battery which kind of helped but the car still wouldn't always start. I took it to a volkswagen dealership and a regular garage and no one could figure out the problem. I had to take it to my friend that lived over 60 miles away and he plugged in the check engine light code thing and it came up that the "crank position sensor" had limited activity. Within 8 months I had to have all of the above fixed and also the a/c compressor, timing belt, and water pump. The car worked fine for about 2 months then the clutch completely broke apart and went throughout the pressure plate. After the clutch and pressure plate were replaced, the air bag light came on because of something being unplugged and VW dealerships won't reset it because they claim it needs checked because it is on for a reason and want to charge 100 dollars. The day I got my car back from the clutch being replaced, the car died in my friends driveway and even after it being jumped for an hour it still wouldn't start or do anything. my dad tried changing the battery terminals and that did not help. when my dad and pap went to try to figure out what was wrong with the car about 3 days later, my dad tried to start it and it started right up. all of these problems happened within a year and i'm sure I am forgetting something. other than all of the mechanical problems, the entire interior is made of the cheapest plastic. also i was rear ended and when my head hit the head rest it felt like i hit a boulder covered in leather. do NOT buy a volkswagen!!

Great little Car

by Tomkat from Rhode Island | January 29, 2012

Just bought this used for my daughter. Great car - I have driven this and feel completely confident of her safety and comfort. It holds tight to the road, the interior fully loaded - I couldn't ask for more.

VW LOVE

by Yetta from Colorado | January 9, 2012

I now own two Jetta's and wouldn't have it any other way. I just bought my 2001 Jetta VR6 for $6,000 and it had under 100,000 miles on it you can't bet that. The only thing wrong with the car was the arm rest was broke but was easy to fix.