2004 Volkswagen Jetta

Available in 13 styles:  2004 Volkswagen Jetta 4dr Sedan shown

Overall

04 Jetta 1.8T

by Frank from Lutz, Fl | June 7, 2014

>>>>Pro: Quick Quick engine response when needed Good for first car Good factory sound system Great for short people >>>>Con: Only 4 gears automatic, engine revs at 2800 at 65 mph, very loud Turbo engine does not shift into neutral when driving making engine loud Uses more gas than it should for a 4 cylinder engine. Typical 13 gallons gets 325-340 miles Cup holders in the worst place ever Rubber coating on interior plastic turns nasty and you must scrape it off after 5-6 years old Door hinges get squeaky Auto up window switches are sensitive

Very reliable

by TDI lover from Hamilton, ON | March 15, 2014

I have the GLS TDI i get 1000 kilometers to a tank and I love it! the handling is just what you expect from a German car, not too quick off the line but has no problem cruising above 140 km/h very stable at high speed. Overall amazing automobile.

4.5 out of 5 to be fair.

by mcr from | January 14, 2014

MKIV Jetta is fun to drive. It handles nicely but, won't win many races. If taken care of properly, it will last with the rest of them. However, they often require critical replacements and maintenance which can be pricey at dealerships. It has been a very popular car to modify and there is a brotherhood of VW owners who love to work on their own cars and share tips and do-it-yourself ideas. There are also many aftermarket companies that manufacture parts for these cars and are relatively cheaper. VWs are complicated to work on but, there are a lot of people that know a lot about VWs out there. I would recommend one to someone who loves driving and appreciates their car.

Jetta Phi

by Axleburg from PM | July 30, 2012

I bought this car for my wife and was very disappointed from the get go. It has 40,000 less miles than my Maxima and has been a money pit since purchuse. I have replces sensors breaks and countless wheels bearings. The 2.0 non-turbo gas engine is the weakest 4 cylinder I have driven even with the 5 speed manual transmission. (I replaced the plugs and wires to no aviel) The stability control is over sensitive and engages too soon in turns. The clutch went out at 118K and we average 175K on clutches. You need a lot of specialty tools to work on this car as well. No more VW's for my family.

VW Jetta Sport Wagon TDI

by LLRS from Bozeman, MT | March 12, 2012

These are great cars. We found a manual transmission and absolutely love it. Not only is it extrememly fun to drive, but it handles very well in the mountains and in snow (so far). It is the turbo diesel and we don't have to down shift going up hills in the mountains at all. They are also very roomy cars. We have plenty of space for 4 and a dog. The regular maintenance is a little more than a gasoline fueled vehicle, but the gas milage is incredible. We got 500 miles on our first tank of fuel.

MK4 Jettas are the best VW made.

by MK4 Jetta Lover from Hickory Hills | February 20, 2012

These Jettas are the best ones VW made. They are more reliable and less complcated than the newer MK5 and up models. 99-04s get great fuel economy and if they are properly maintained, meaning you DO NOT follow VW's very conservative maintenance guidelines, you will have a Jetta that lasts a long time. Change the oil every 4-5K miles, change the coolant every 50K miles, change the trans fluid every 50K miles and take care of little issues before they become big ones.

Amazing Jetta

by Volkswagon Own for Life from Honeoye Falls, NY | December 19, 2011

In October I purchased a 2004 VW Jetta and I love the way the car drives. It is great on gas mileage and handles amazing. I love this car and I am hooked on Jetta's! I will purchase another one when I need a new car. I would recommend this car to anyone that wants a reliable and nice car at an affordable price.

Worst and most Unreliable Car I've ever owned

by Gamecock Fan from | August 19, 2011

This 2004 Jetta is the most overpriced and unreliable car I've ever owned. I've had to replace the rear axle. The dealer would not warranty the axle even though I purchased the car from them. I do NOT drive a car hard and the Jetta only had 55k miles on it. After repeated calls to VW corporate local dealer, VW South in Charlotte, NC, and talking with service manager I was told it could have been bent going over a speed bump!!!!????? My next question was am I driving a tonka toy or something! Found out through a salvage yard that there was a problem with that rear axle. He checked other axles he had on yard and 2 out 3 for Jetta were bent also. Since then the water pump has had to be replaced, the alternator, the clutch and various other repairs.

fahrvergnugen

by ACYYC from Calgary, Canada | July 7, 2011

I love my Jetta. The comfort is quite good, perofrmance is great and style is sweet. Fahrvergnugen means joy of driving. That is what Volkswagen delivers in their Jettas.

Jetta TDI Wagon

by HIG from Thomasville, NC | June 22, 2011

I bought this car new in 04 and can not say enough great things about the car. At close to 50 miles per gal on the Hwy and tons of torque and power this car is hard to beat for over all driveablity and reliability. I just passed the 200,000 miles mark and the engine runs like it is brand new and I don't have to worry about replacing batterypacks (Hybrid) @ $5000+. I hope to make the 500,000 or more. Great car!

Featured Services for this Volkswagen Jetta