2006 Volkswagen Jetta

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Transmission Died at 127k

by Sad VW Customer from Indianapolis, IN | March 20, 2014

We had a top of the line fully loaded Jetta for about 5 years. Right after purchasing the vehicle the stickers for the radio button began to bubble. The center LED Driver screen only shows about half the information on it even after multiple replacements. The car never got to the expected MPG that was advertised by about 4mpg. The car also went through name brand performance tires faster then any other car I have owned. The transmission died at only 127k, and after getting quotes from 3 different places the lowest price we were able to get was $6,000, and we still have one year and $4,200 owed on the vehicle. The transmission issue could probably have been avoided if you were able to check the transmission fluid easily instead of having to get the car on a lift and taking off a handful of items to reach the area to check the fluid level. When the car was working it was only the small things that really didn't matter, but when major things happens to the car expect to pay a lot to fix it and not being able to fix anything above changing a light bulb by yourself. The price to repair items on this car is why I suggest looking at another car brand.

Best car we've ever owned

by Gary from Camano Island, Washington | March 6, 2014

Purchased a 2006 Jetta DTI new and we've been very impressed with nearly every feature, the comfort, the ride, the performance, the build quality and the mileage (still seeing 47 mpg after 130,000 miles. It's a keeper!

have owned for270000+ do the math

by ike from ft smith ar | October 29, 2013

50mpg+ yes I have spent a little on maint. I bought the best fueler abaible and it will compete today. of course it is a diesel. before 300000 I will replace the trany if needed and keep driving. always change oil at vw.every 10000mi.did not service trany. my jetta is actualy a 05.5tdi dsg trany.glad I didn't buy a electric vehicle or a toyota. might consider natural gas in a honda or something after it has ben tested a bit longer--1.39

Loved initially but disappointed

by Last time for VW from Chicago, IL | September 11, 2013

I loved my 2006 Jetta 2.5 when I bought it brand new. It was fun to drive, had power and a nice ride (I was driving a 2001 Civic prior). It was great until I hit the 100K mark. Since then, I have had nothing but problems. Very expensive problems. It's something new every few months. I take good care of my car and understand that as things get older and worn they need replacing. I am on a limited budget as it is and attempting to fix this car every few months is killing me. I repaired the cal. conv. for $1800. 2 months later had electrical problems that cost another $500. Not but 1 day after fixing that, I had the check engine light come back on. The dealership said it needed another $400 worth of work. Not to mention, every part for this car is "unique" and therefore, more expensive. I have a hard time finding places to service it correctly around me if I can not afford the dealerships pricing and need to shop around for repairs. It's a great car if you can afford the upkeep that it needs later on. Had I bought a new car sooner, my review may have been all positive. Having kept it longer than anticipated has seemingly backfired on me. I would only think about buying another VW again if I planned on buying new and not keeping it for a long time.

Love my cute Jetta GLI

by Lisa from New Jersy from Towaco Newjersy | September 7, 2013

My Parents purchased my white Jetta GLI as a gift because my 2003 Volvo s60 was totaled while leaving college one after noon. To start I love my Jetta to death and I am a VW girl I didn't exactly know what GLI even meant until my bf told me what a GLI is. I do have a heavy foot being a jersey gal and I feel my Jetta can definitely keep up on how ever I drive it . my favorite features are the sunroof, the GLI leather seats I do recommend this and I will keep my Jetta for as long as I can!

Worst Car I've ever owned

by Worst car I have ever owned from Boston, MA | July 11, 2013

I bought my '06 Jetta in 2009. Since then, I have had nothing but problems. The electrical systems in the car are constantly malfunctioning. My fuses blow every three months, causing the power outlets not to work, I have had to replace the headlight bulb about 12 times, the air conditioning system only works when I press on the gas. And now, my newest problem is that I can't move the gear shifter out of park, again due to a faulty electrical break sensor, so I can't even drive it. Everyone else my in family who has owned a volkswagen has had similar problems, even with newer models. I will NEVER own another Volkswagen again.

Its cute!!!

by Mindless from Paris, France | March 6, 2013

It's so cute!! I love it! #teammindless I love the interior and exterior. I personality would have picked a different color, but other than that it's very nice(:

Be aware

by Dino from PA | September 5, 2012

Always loved the looks of the Jetta and the ride. When my daughter started looking for her first car we started looking at the Jetta TDI, Diesel. The car looked as new inside and out, 158k miles, transmission worked great and the motor seemed to run great. After filling the tank and driving home about 100 miles we checked the mpg and were disappointed to see only 33mpg when I know others that were getting almost 50 on the highway. After a week I noticed when she left one day that it also seemed to smoke excessively out the exhaust, which is rare to see on a newer clean burning diesel. Upon taking it to the dealer to check it out,we were informed that the #1 and #4 cam lobes had worn through the lifters. After joining TDI Club Forum (awesome group) People informed us this was a common problem on that model TDI. Car is now fixed, she loves it.

BUY NEW with A LONG WARRANTY

by Big D from Orange County, CA | May 29, 2012

I bought my 2006 GLI after reading the reviews and thinking only the negative reviews were for the 1 in a 1,000. My car needed a thermostat and brand new a/c compressor a week after I bought it with only 76k miles. The car get decent gas mileage on the highway but better in the city. It is fast and you will be doing speeds of 89 before you notice the cop in your rear view mirror. The seats are uncomfortable if you plan on taking this car for a long drive. The car has AMAZING features for the price but you will pay for those too. I do not recommend a VW GLI unless you sell it after your warranty runs out.

dont buy german

by former vw lover from Ann Arbor, MI | May 15, 2012

this car was a fun car with good looks and great handling, but thats where it ends I have driven 3 vws the past 10 years and this will be my last, trunk would not close and not usable in the winter, gas latch would not close all of the time, was in the shop 8 times in the first 75k and now at 110 miles the camshaft and timing belt are seized up a $3000 repair, do not own a vw unless you are under warranty, electrical is horrible and maitining then is a cost nightmare, vw should be ashamed of the product they are now producing.