2013 Volkswagen Jetta

Starting MSRP

Overall

2013 VW

by waheed from Guelph, Ontario | July 5, 2014

Many issues with this car, seat heat is not working, door lock didn't work, bad tire, plastic seal lose, air condition not working.........all these issues in the first 6 months

Fantastic Car

by galaxieguy from Northwest Indiana | July 4, 2014

I found the car through Cars.Com and had a great experience. The car is fantastic! I commute 120 miles each day in a mix of expressway and stop-and-go traffic and so far, I've averaged 53.6 MPG! Yes, it's a TDI (diesel). My only complaint is that my Jetta does not have the lumbar support option, and having broken my back in multiple places in late 2012 (car accident), an adjustable lumbar is almost mandatory. But, I use a small pillow to give additional support for my back. Adjustable lumbar is optional however. All in all, this is my favorite car I've ever had of the 10 vehicles I've had including two other VW's. Very pleased.

Solid Compact Car

by Gary from Los Angeles | June 18, 2014

We purchased a 2013 Jetta TDI new, and have now driven the car for almost two years. The car is everything we hoped for and more. The performance and handling for this category of car are excellent (note: we have the 6-speed manual). The interior is roomy and comfortable. Our only small complaint is that the black interior shows scuff marks very easily. The trunk is spacious (holds three medium size suitcases, two sets of golf clubs, and a lot more). Fuel (diesel) consumption is excellent. We are getting 28 mpg in the city and almost 50 mpg on the highway (and that is even driving at 70-75 mph).

TDI Great car overall, leaves little desired.

by John from San Antonio | March 4, 2014

So far I am growing more and more attached to my Jetta TDI. Drives very smooth, very comfortable interior, and reliable overall. I like how they have added the availability of a 6-speed gearbox. However there are a few more things I could still ask for. Unfortunately I think the earlier model's appearance was a bit more satisfying. The styling on this generation seems a little bland and basic. The manual transmission is a little smoother than I was hoping for, and it would be nice for it to feel a bit more like I was actually driving a manual. I would also like to see them raise the lowest-end models HP to a minimum of 200hp, and maybe 250+ on the GLI models.

a purchase I regret

by volks from San Francisco | March 4, 2014

Reliability: I've owned a Jetta TDI for 4 years. The car developed electrical problems from the start. Over the years, it's become pretty unpredictable which electrical feature will malfunction: the door won't unlock, the alarm for defective headlights, the interior lights, etc. It also developed mold in the A/C unit, a problem that is common to VW as per their technical bulletin. Very moldy mold that made me sick. There are no leaks in the car, no spills and I hardly ever run the a/c or the defogger. Comfort: One of the most uncomfortable cars I've been in. The heating is either hot or cold, never lukewarm, the seats are stiff and painful to sit on, there is a design flaw of the sunroof+windows that produces a terrible vibration when both are opened, the armrest ends where the elbow starts. Drivability: it drives phenomenally and has excellent response to commands. If I were a robot, I would love this car. Maintenance cost: high. The recommended maintenance is very, very costly. Don't be fooled by the low purchase price and the savings in fuel. The car is very expensive to maintain. E.g. the transmission fluid must be changed every 30K and only dealers can do it due to a procedure that requires accurate measurement of temperatures. Very costly. The cars mold! They acquire mold in the A/c unit that spread throughout the ventilation system and renders the vehicle unusable. If you can help it, do not purchase a VW.

fast reading speedometer

by ronplaniden from Boswell British Columbia | February 21, 2014

One reason why this car is so slow is because some of them have fast reading speedometers, by as much 10%. Yikes!! Check it out before you buy. $30,000 car and really disappointed. Warranty will not repair. Be careful!!!

'13 Vw GLI Autobahn

by ny car lover from long island, ny | January 17, 2014

I love this car. I have owned mercedes, acura, cadillac, and infiniti. This car was the 5th i test drove, after the 3 series, the c class, the g, and the s60. This kicked the heck out of all of those lsited above. It literally felt exactly like my brothers audi a4 quattro only his had better traction. It is basically an audi without paying for the emblem on the car. It hauls, I get a 31mpg avg. and have had nothing but stares and people wanting to race since i bought it. so far the only people iv lost to were a porsche boxter S, and a mustang gt. Other than that, the car rocks!

Value for $$ but hard ride

by Captain Nemo from Central, NJ | January 16, 2014

There is nothing I really don't like about my 2013 Jetta SE - except for the very hard ride. I don't see any other comments that touch on this... but I feel every single bump - regardless of size. It seems the suspension is very tight or completely missing.. I find myself going out of my way to avoid manhole covers, small bumps in the road, etc.. Anyone else in this club?

2013 Jetta 2.5 SE

by 2013 VW DRIVER from Riverside, CA | January 3, 2014

I purchased this car in September of 2012. After driving it for a little over a year, I have to say I am very pleased with this car. I purchased a 2013 Jetta 2.5 SE with convenience and sunroof package. Got a great deal on the car and Volkswagen has proven to me that they truly care about their customers. I have used the roadside assistance and I was pleasantly surprised as to how fast they were able to help me. I am a young guy and cars to me are a big deal. I love the sleekness and style of this car. I have done some minor changes to my car, but my friends all seem to think my car is an Audi when they first glance at it. The interior is roomy, sophisticated and accessible. Everything is easily reached, the touch screen is easy to control and very useful. The one thing I do have to say that I wish was different is having my phone accessible while charging. However it is smart to stow it away while driving. The trunk space is also awesome. I can fit a lot back there! The seats do split, and I have been able to fit furniture pieces in this car. It is also nice while taking the friends snowboarding with my. Performance wise, the car does respond quickly and when using sport mode you can move around quickly and have a blast doing it. Really have a sense of a sporty European car. I do wish the gas mileage would be better. But overall I am extremely happy with choosing this car. I feel if you want the look and feel of a true European car, this is the one (without that hefty price tag). Great car to start working your way up, I know I will be happy with this cars for the few years I have left on it.

One year summary review (Part I)

by Trin from Durham, NC | December 15, 2013

I had driven my 2013 Jetta 2.5SE for a year and put some 22K miles on it. I am writing the one-year ownership review that hopefully will give whoever plans to buy the 2014 model (since it does not differ too much to 2013 in design) some thoughts. Please also refer to my 3 month, 6 month reviews in this review site. My review is broken into 2 parts due to the restriction of submission. The Goods: 1. Choice of Engine. One of the best thing of Jetta is there are many engine options to choose from. No car in the market offers more engine choices than Jetta. You can choose 2.0L 4 cylinder 115HP, 2.5L 5 cylinder 170HP (it is gone in 2014 model, replaced by the 1.8L 170HP TSI), 2.0L 4 cylinder 140HP Diesel TDI, 2.0L 4 cylinder TSI, and 1.4L 4 cylinder TSI Hybrid. In previous year models, there was a 6 cylinder engine. Mine is the 2.5L 5cylinder version, which has plenty power for my driving habit, it has ample power to carry 4 adults around town and highway. The transmission options are 6-speed manual, 6-speed automatic w/ sport mode and 7-speed DSG. So literately you have 3x5 = 15 powertrain options to choose. 2. Value for the money. The Jetta can be as cheap as $16K (S model, 115HP engine, manual) but still have all the safety features, and power window, power doors, remote keyless entry, heated side mirrors, etc. At the price of 20K, the 2.5SE model adds leatherette power seat, mirror mount turn signal, cruise control, auto tranny. With this features, a Toyota Corolla and/or Honda Civic are more than 21K. However Jetta can easily quickly reach 30K+ if you opt for the technology and luxury options, and/or GLI Hybrid model. I personally think the 2.5SE is perfectly priced for its value. As long as you want to keep it longer than 5 years, it is a good value. However, the resell value for Jetta is not as good as Corolla or Civic. 3. Design and engineering. The Jetta is very well-designed, both interior and exterior, it looks good and is welcoming to drive. The interior design is comfortable and artful. Handles and instrument knobs are well designed, good hand feeling, and easy to operate. The basic audio and instrument are simple and easy to read. With the technology package, it has Bluetooth connectivity and hand free phone feature. The size of Jetta is a little smaller than Camry/Accord/Fusion but larger than Corolla/Civic/Focus. It is somewhat about the same size as Subaru Legacy. 4. Driving. The ride of Jetta is quiet and smooth. The steeling is agile and well control. Turning is accurate and confident. It is a very fun car to drive. Accelerating is excellent in 2.5L 5 cylinder model when transmission set in sports mode. In a normal spin city or merge highway, the standard mode has ample power to accomplish task. Putting is sports mode make the car stand out of others. The brake functions quickly and sharply. Overall, the driving experience is the most I appreciate the Jetta.