We've given this page a whole new look

View the new design

2013 Volkswagen Jetta

2013 Volkswagen Jetta
Available in 14 styles:  2013 Volkswagen Jetta 4dr Sedan shown

Overall

Have money in your check book!

by beachforme from Dalton, GA | July 25, 2016

I have been driving for 39 years and have owned 16 different cars. This will be my first, and last, VW. I bought this 2013 Jetta with 32,015 miles. At 34,200 miles the air conditioning compressor went out....thank goodness for the warranty! I now have 42,100 miles, and since the warranty expired I have had to replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, ignition lock, ignition housing, and brakes. I have also had problems with some of the plastic interior knobs coming off. Unfortunately, many mechanics do not like working on German made cars, which limits who will fix your car. This, along with expensive parts, makes repair and maintenance a lot more expensive than your normal US, Japanese, or Korean car. I currently have a 2006 Tacoma with 196,000 miles with no issues, and drove a Civic for 210,000 miles with no problems. For a 3 year old car with less than 43,000 miles I have had way to many problems with my Jetta....and doubt it will make it to 100,000 miles. My advice is buy a, Chevy, Ford, Toyota, Honda, or anything that does not have a VW logo. Sorry to be a bummer, but stay away from this car!

Disappointed

by Unhappy driver from Bakersfield California | July 6, 2016

The car is ok looking but that's it. It doesn't feel solid at all and the lack of power is scary. Getting on the freeway is horrible, if the A/C is on I have to turn it off for the extra power! I weigh 130 lbs so it should have no trouble getting to speed. I can't wait to get a different car!

First Car I've Owned

by Recent college graduate from Westford, MA | March 7, 2016

I bought a used 2013 Volkswagen Jetta in December 2015. I had been looking for a car for about 6 months. I took a test drive in the car and loved it. The interior was comfortable and the sound system is easy to use. I like that the truck is extremely roomy. i have been driving the car for 3 months and I still love it. I like the fact that it has both a digital speedometer as well as analog speedometer.

exactly what I needed

by Paul74 from Central California | March 9, 2015

I've owned my 2013 Jetta TDI premium with navigation since new. I bought it July 22, 2013 and currently just rolled over 70k miles in 18 months. I do a lot of freeway driving and I can tell you I save a lot of money. I keep track of every dollar spent on fuel and every mile is tracked using Fuelly (RobTDI13) Driving approx 1000 miles a week. I just changed out the factory tires last week getting 68,500 miles on the continental tires rated for 40k miles. I've had no issues with this vehicle at all. Overall I'm averaging 42 MPG. I do all the maintenance myself IE: oil and filter changes purchasing the kits from IDPARTS. They're the best. I honestly can't say anything bad about my vehicle. I have been using fuel additive since day one after researching about the pump issue. It's good piece of mind. I honestly believe reliability depends on everyone's driving style, maintenance, location, etc.

No reliable. 10 times at dealership in 24 months

by Icaro from Miami, Fl | January 3, 2015

This car has recurrent failures in all electrical components. Alarms go on/off, readings of external temperatures, fuel levels disappear as magic, tire pressure indicator goes on and does not go off after reset bottom is held. Seat belt alarm goes on with not passenger seated, lock doors switch was replaced, brake pads with noise since 8000 miles and dealer advised is not covered under terms of warranty.

2013 VW

by waheed from Guelph, Ontario | July 5, 2014

Many issues with this car, seat heat is not working, door lock didn't work, bad tire, plastic seal lose, air condition not working.........all these issues in the first 6 months

Fantastic Car

by galaxieguy from Northwest Indiana | July 4, 2014

I found the car through Cars.Com and had a great experience. The car is fantastic! I commute 120 miles each day in a mix of expressway and stop-and-go traffic and so far, I've averaged 53.6 MPG! Yes, it's a TDI (diesel). My only complaint is that my Jetta does not have the lumbar support option, and having broken my back in multiple places in late 2012 (car accident), an adjustable lumbar is almost mandatory. But, I use a small pillow to give additional support for my back. Adjustable lumbar is optional however. All in all, this is my favorite car I've ever had of the 10 vehicles I've had including two other VW's. Very pleased.

Solid Compact Car

by Gary from Los Angeles | June 18, 2014

We purchased a 2013 Jetta TDI new, and have now driven the car for almost two years. The car is everything we hoped for and more. The performance and handling for this category of car are excellent (note: we have the 6-speed manual). The interior is roomy and comfortable. Our only small complaint is that the black interior shows scuff marks very easily. The trunk is spacious (holds three medium size suitcases, two sets of golf clubs, and a lot more). Fuel (diesel) consumption is excellent. We are getting 28 mpg in the city and almost 50 mpg on the highway (and that is even driving at 70-75 mph).

TDI Great car overall, leaves little desired.

by John from San Antonio | March 4, 2014

So far I am growing more and more attached to my Jetta TDI. Drives very smooth, very comfortable interior, and reliable overall. I like how they have added the availability of a 6-speed gearbox. However there are a few more things I could still ask for. Unfortunately I think the earlier model's appearance was a bit more satisfying. The styling on this generation seems a little bland and basic. The manual transmission is a little smoother than I was hoping for, and it would be nice for it to feel a bit more like I was actually driving a manual. I would also like to see them raise the lowest-end models HP to a minimum of 200hp, and maybe 250+ on the GLI models.

a purchase I regret

by volks from San Francisco | March 4, 2014

Reliability: I've owned a Jetta TDI for 4 years. The car developed electrical problems from the start. Over the years, it's become pretty unpredictable which electrical feature will malfunction: the door won't unlock, the alarm for defective headlights, the interior lights, etc. It also developed mold in the A/C unit, a problem that is common to VW as per their technical bulletin. Very moldy mold that made me sick. There are no leaks in the car, no spills and I hardly ever run the a/c or the defogger. Comfort: One of the most uncomfortable cars I've been in. The heating is either hot or cold, never lukewarm, the seats are stiff and painful to sit on, there is a design flaw of the sunroof+windows that produces a terrible vibration when both are opened, the armrest ends where the elbow starts. Drivability: it drives phenomenally and has excellent response to commands. If I were a robot, I would love this car. Maintenance cost: high. The recommended maintenance is very, very costly. Don't be fooled by the low purchase price and the savings in fuel. The car is very expensive to maintain. E.g. the transmission fluid must be changed every 30K and only dealers can do it due to a procedure that requires accurate measurement of temperatures. Very costly. The cars mold! They acquire mold in the A/c unit that spread throughout the ventilation system and renders the vehicle unusable. If you can help it, do not purchase a VW.