2013 Volkswagen Jetta

Starting MSRP

Overall

exactly what I needed

by Paul74 from Central California | March 9, 2015

I've owned my 2013 Jetta TDI premium with navigation since new. I bought it July 22, 2013 and currently just rolled over 70k miles in 18 months. I do a lot of freeway driving and I can tell you I save a lot of money. I keep track of every dollar spent on fuel and every mile is tracked using Fuelly (RobTDI13) Driving approx 1000 miles a week. I just changed out the factory tires last week getting 68,500 miles on the continental tires rated for 40k miles. I've had no issues with this vehicle at all. Overall I'm averaging 42 MPG. I do all the maintenance myself IE: oil and filter changes purchasing the kits from IDPARTS. They're the best. I honestly can't say anything bad about my vehicle. I have been using fuel additive since day one after researching about the pump issue. It's good piece of mind. I honestly believe reliability depends on everyone's driving style, maintenance, location, etc.

No reliable. 10 times at dealership in 24 months

by Icaro from Miami, Fl | January 3, 2015

This car has recurrent failures in all electrical components. Alarms go on/off, readings of external temperatures, fuel levels disappear as magic, tire pressure indicator goes on and does not go off after reset bottom is held. Seat belt alarm goes on with not passenger seated, lock doors switch was replaced, brake pads with noise since 8000 miles and dealer advised is not covered under terms of warranty.

2013 VW

by waheed from Guelph, Ontario | July 5, 2014

Many issues with this car, seat heat is not working, door lock didn't work, bad tire, plastic seal lose, air condition not working.........all these issues in the first 6 months

Fantastic Car

by galaxieguy from Northwest Indiana | July 4, 2014

I found the car through Cars.Com and had a great experience. The car is fantastic! I commute 120 miles each day in a mix of expressway and stop-and-go traffic and so far, I've averaged 53.6 MPG! Yes, it's a TDI (diesel). My only complaint is that my Jetta does not have the lumbar support option, and having broken my back in multiple places in late 2012 (car accident), an adjustable lumbar is almost mandatory. But, I use a small pillow to give additional support for my back. Adjustable lumbar is optional however. All in all, this is my favorite car I've ever had of the 10 vehicles I've had including two other VW's. Very pleased.

Solid Compact Car

by Gary from Los Angeles | June 18, 2014

We purchased a 2013 Jetta TDI new, and have now driven the car for almost two years. The car is everything we hoped for and more. The performance and handling for this category of car are excellent (note: we have the 6-speed manual). The interior is roomy and comfortable. Our only small complaint is that the black interior shows scuff marks very easily. The trunk is spacious (holds three medium size suitcases, two sets of golf clubs, and a lot more). Fuel (diesel) consumption is excellent. We are getting 28 mpg in the city and almost 50 mpg on the highway (and that is even driving at 70-75 mph).

TDI Great car overall, leaves little desired.

by John from San Antonio | March 4, 2014

So far I am growing more and more attached to my Jetta TDI. Drives very smooth, very comfortable interior, and reliable overall. I like how they have added the availability of a 6-speed gearbox. However there are a few more things I could still ask for. Unfortunately I think the earlier model's appearance was a bit more satisfying. The styling on this generation seems a little bland and basic. The manual transmission is a little smoother than I was hoping for, and it would be nice for it to feel a bit more like I was actually driving a manual. I would also like to see them raise the lowest-end models HP to a minimum of 200hp, and maybe 250+ on the GLI models.

a purchase I regret

by volks from San Francisco | March 4, 2014

Reliability: I've owned a Jetta TDI for 4 years. The car developed electrical problems from the start. Over the years, it's become pretty unpredictable which electrical feature will malfunction: the door won't unlock, the alarm for defective headlights, the interior lights, etc. It also developed mold in the A/C unit, a problem that is common to VW as per their technical bulletin. Very moldy mold that made me sick. There are no leaks in the car, no spills and I hardly ever run the a/c or the defogger. Comfort: One of the most uncomfortable cars I've been in. The heating is either hot or cold, never lukewarm, the seats are stiff and painful to sit on, there is a design flaw of the sunroof+windows that produces a terrible vibration when both are opened, the armrest ends where the elbow starts. Drivability: it drives phenomenally and has excellent response to commands. If I were a robot, I would love this car. Maintenance cost: high. The recommended maintenance is very, very costly. Don't be fooled by the low purchase price and the savings in fuel. The car is very expensive to maintain. E.g. the transmission fluid must be changed every 30K and only dealers can do it due to a procedure that requires accurate measurement of temperatures. Very costly. The cars mold! They acquire mold in the A/c unit that spread throughout the ventilation system and renders the vehicle unusable. If you can help it, do not purchase a VW.

fast reading speedometer

by ronplaniden from Boswell British Columbia | February 21, 2014

One reason why this car is so slow is because some of them have fast reading speedometers, by as much 10%. Yikes!! Check it out before you buy. $30,000 car and really disappointed. Warranty will not repair. Be careful!!!

'13 Vw GLI Autobahn

by ny car lover from long island, ny | January 17, 2014

I love this car. I have owned mercedes, acura, cadillac, and infiniti. This car was the 5th i test drove, after the 3 series, the c class, the g, and the s60. This kicked the heck out of all of those lsited above. It literally felt exactly like my brothers audi a4 quattro only his had better traction. It is basically an audi without paying for the emblem on the car. It hauls, I get a 31mpg avg. and have had nothing but stares and people wanting to race since i bought it. so far the only people iv lost to were a porsche boxter S, and a mustang gt. Other than that, the car rocks!

Value for $$ but hard ride

by Captain Nemo from Central, NJ | January 16, 2014

There is nothing I really don't like about my 2013 Jetta SE - except for the very hard ride. I don't see any other comments that touch on this... but I feel every single bump - regardless of size. It seems the suspension is very tight or completely missing.. I find myself going out of my way to avoid manhole covers, small bumps in the road, etc.. Anyone else in this club?