2013 Volkswagen Jetta

Starting MSRP

Est. MPG

See Photos & Videos

Overall

TDI Great car overall, leaves little desired.

by John from San Antonio | March 4, 2014

So far I am growing more and more attached to my Jetta TDI. Drives very smooth, very comfortable interior, and reliable overall. I like how they have added the availability of a 6-speed gearbox. However there are a few more things I could still ask for. Unfortunately I think the earlier model's appearance was a bit more satisfying. The styling on this generation seems a little bland and basic. The manual transmission is a little smoother than I was hoping for, and it would be nice for it to feel a bit more like I was actually driving a manual. I would also like to see them raise the lowest-end models HP to a minimum of 200hp, and maybe 250+ on the GLI models.

a purchase I regret

by volks from San Francisco | March 4, 2014

Reliability: I've owned a Jetta TDI for 4 years. The car developed electrical problems from the start. Over the years, it's become pretty unpredictable which electrical feature will malfunction: the door won't unlock, the alarm for defective headlights, the interior lights, etc. It also developed mold in the A/C unit, a problem that is common to VW as per their technical bulletin. Very moldy mold that made me sick. There are no leaks in the car, no spills and I hardly ever run the a/c or the defogger. Comfort: One of the most uncomfortable cars I've been in. The heating is either hot or cold, never lukewarm, the seats are stiff and painful to sit on, there is a design flaw of the sunroof+windows that produces a terrible vibration when both are opened, the armrest ends where the elbow starts. Drivability: it drives phenomenally and has excellent response to commands. If I were a robot, I would love this car. Maintenance cost: high. The recommended maintenance is very, very costly. Don't be fooled by the low purchase price and the savings in fuel. The car is very expensive to maintain. E.g. the transmission fluid must be changed every 30K and only dealers can do it due to a procedure that requires accurate measurement of temperatures. Very costly. The cars mold! They acquire mold in the A/c unit that spread throughout the ventilation system and renders the vehicle unusable. If you can help it, do not purchase a VW.

fast reading speedometer

by ronplaniden from Boswell British Columbia | February 21, 2014

One reason why this car is so slow is because some of them have fast reading speedometers, by as much 10%. Yikes!! Check it out before you buy. $30,000 car and really disappointed. Warranty will not repair. Be careful!!!

'13 Vw GLI Autobahn

by ny car lover from long island, ny | January 17, 2014

I love this car. I have owned mercedes, acura, cadillac, and infiniti. This car was the 5th i test drove, after the 3 series, the c class, the g, and the s60. This kicked the heck out of all of those lsited above. It literally felt exactly like my brothers audi a4 quattro only his had better traction. It is basically an audi without paying for the emblem on the car. It hauls, I get a 31mpg avg. and have had nothing but stares and people wanting to race since i bought it. so far the only people iv lost to were a porsche boxter S, and a mustang gt. Other than that, the car rocks!

Value for $$ but hard ride

by Captain Nemo from Central, NJ | January 16, 2014

There is nothing I really don't like about my 2013 Jetta SE - except for the very hard ride. I don't see any other comments that touch on this... but I feel every single bump - regardless of size. It seems the suspension is very tight or completely missing.. I find myself going out of my way to avoid manhole covers, small bumps in the road, etc.. Anyone else in this club?

2013 Jetta 2.5 SE

by 2013 VW DRIVER from Riverside, CA | January 3, 2014

I purchased this car in September of 2012. After driving it for a little over a year, I have to say I am very pleased with this car. I purchased a 2013 Jetta 2.5 SE with convenience and sunroof package. Got a great deal on the car and Volkswagen has proven to me that they truly care about their customers. I have used the roadside assistance and I was pleasantly surprised as to how fast they were able to help me. I am a young guy and cars to me are a big deal. I love the sleekness and style of this car. I have done some minor changes to my car, but my friends all seem to think my car is an Audi when they first glance at it. The interior is roomy, sophisticated and accessible. Everything is easily reached, the touch screen is easy to control and very useful. The one thing I do have to say that I wish was different is having my phone accessible while charging. However it is smart to stow it away while driving. The trunk space is also awesome. I can fit a lot back there! The seats do split, and I have been able to fit furniture pieces in this car. It is also nice while taking the friends snowboarding with my. Performance wise, the car does respond quickly and when using sport mode you can move around quickly and have a blast doing it. Really have a sense of a sporty European car. I do wish the gas mileage would be better. But overall I am extremely happy with choosing this car. I feel if you want the look and feel of a true European car, this is the one (without that hefty price tag). Great car to start working your way up, I know I will be happy with this cars for the few years I have left on it.

One year summary review (Part I)

by Trin from Durham, NC | December 15, 2013

I had driven my 2013 Jetta 2.5SE for a year and put some 22K miles on it. I am writing the one-year ownership review that hopefully will give whoever plans to buy the 2014 model (since it does not differ too much to 2013 in design) some thoughts. Please also refer to my 3 month, 6 month reviews in this review site. My review is broken into 2 parts due to the restriction of submission. The Goods: 1. Choice of Engine. One of the best thing of Jetta is there are many engine options to choose from. No car in the market offers more engine choices than Jetta. You can choose 2.0L 4 cylinder 115HP, 2.5L 5 cylinder 170HP (it is gone in 2014 model, replaced by the 1.8L 170HP TSI), 2.0L 4 cylinder 140HP Diesel TDI, 2.0L 4 cylinder TSI, and 1.4L 4 cylinder TSI Hybrid. In previous year models, there was a 6 cylinder engine. Mine is the 2.5L 5cylinder version, which has plenty power for my driving habit, it has ample power to carry 4 adults around town and highway. The transmission options are 6-speed manual, 6-speed automatic w/ sport mode and 7-speed DSG. So literately you have 3x5 = 15 powertrain options to choose. 2. Value for the money. The Jetta can be as cheap as $16K (S model, 115HP engine, manual) but still have all the safety features, and power window, power doors, remote keyless entry, heated side mirrors, etc. At the price of 20K, the 2.5SE model adds leatherette power seat, mirror mount turn signal, cruise control, auto tranny. With this features, a Toyota Corolla and/or Honda Civic are more than 21K. However Jetta can easily quickly reach 30K+ if you opt for the technology and luxury options, and/or GLI Hybrid model. I personally think the 2.5SE is perfectly priced for its value. As long as you want to keep it longer than 5 years, it is a good value. However, the resell value for Jetta is not as good as Corolla or Civic. 3. Design and engineering. The Jetta is very well-designed, both interior and exterior, it looks good and is welcoming to drive. The interior design is comfortable and artful. Handles and instrument knobs are well designed, good hand feeling, and easy to operate. The basic audio and instrument are simple and easy to read. With the technology package, it has Bluetooth connectivity and hand free phone feature. The size of Jetta is a little smaller than Camry/Accord/Fusion but larger than Corolla/Civic/Focus. It is somewhat about the same size as Subaru Legacy. 4. Driving. The ride of Jetta is quiet and smooth. The steeling is agile and well control. Turning is accurate and confident. It is a very fun car to drive. Accelerating is excellent in 2.5L 5 cylinder model when transmission set in sports mode. In a normal spin city or merge highway, the standard mode has ample power to accomplish task. Putting is sports mode make the car stand out of others. The brake functions quickly and sharply. Overall, the driving experience is the most I appreciate the Jetta.

Jetta TDI 2013

by Ghi. from NB | November 27, 2013

I love this car. I travel over 750 km every weekend, mainly hwy and fuel mileage is great anywhere from 1050 to 1100 km with one tank. Lots of power, extremely comfortable, lots legs room and lots of trunk space. The interior is simple and doesn't have all the electronics gadgets other vehicle have. The one issue i had is this afternoon it would not start. Called road assistance which were very nice and helpful. The car started but shut itself again. Finally made it to the dealer. I still don't know what is wrong but hopefully nothing too serious. Regardless, i love my jetta and i would not buy anything else.

2013 Jetta Se w/connectivity Inline 5 cylinder

by jrmy from Tx | November 24, 2013

We looked at the chevy cruze as well as the ford focus. The Jetta overall was roomier with a much bigger trunk as well as split folding seats,better stereo system,inside is nicer than the other two,despite the hard plastic dash and v-tex leatherette seating. Nothing wrong with the car so far ,oil changes are fairly easy except for the 15 dollar oil filter and it requiring 6 quarts of synthetic.Gas mileage is on the average side at around 32 miles per gallon,if all highway taking it easy I achieved high 30s low 40s. Decent power from the 5 speed manual transmission,highway speeds no need to downshift to speed up unless in a hurry of course.Headlights are fairly decent . Inside it has plenty room in back ,the middle armrest comes down and has a drop down compartment for long objects in trunk such a weight bar etc.Trunk pops open from a good distance although sometimes not opening all the way like it should.One dislike I have is the auxillary feature taking time to load instead of plug and play like other vehicles.Cruise control works good ,outside temp is displayed,average miles per gallon,speed in both analog and digital formats also displayed.One thing I did notice is the Speed being off by exactly 2 miles per hour off confirmed by gps,this can misread miles therefore throwing your warranty out sooner than it should.Ac works better than other cars on 100+ degree days and heater works great as well.Radio has volume increase or decrease with speed,bluetooth with stream from device(although takes longer than aux to load)Glove box is large with an ipad connection,armrest is adjustable,and Power seat is only on the drivers side. Full size spare comes with everything to change except the fullsize spare is a 195 not the f/s 205 on the car. Overall,I am satisfied with the vehicle. Note: car comes with 3 years/36k miles free service,I choose not use because I am weary of dealers.

great car needs more speed and better gas

by coolguy33 from Pembroke Pines FL | November 12, 2013

need more speed with better gas because its not right that this is a slow car it needs to be faster. because everything workds well but the speed needs to be worked on vw should give every one a faster vw jetta who has a slow jetta like mine.