2014 Volkswagen Jetta

Starting MSRP

Overall

VW NIGHMARE

by SERGE K from SAN FRANCISCO | February 17, 2015

This whole experience with VW has been a NIGHTMARE! Seriously, I usually don't write reviews but this experience is SO BAD that I'm gonna take my time to leave the review. It's THE WORSE customer service experience in the car industry! I DID NOT expect that from VW, honestly. First of, this has been going on for 5 months. I was complaining about fuel consumption of the car (14 mpg on 2 liter engine) since September. I took the car to the dealerships 4 times! 3 times - to Royal, and 1 - to Serramonte. They both JUST REJECTED not only to fix the issue but even to test the car properly!! Royal told me that I have to pay for the test myself! WHY? The car IS on WARRANTY! That's the reason why a bought the new car! When my car was at Royal they gave me a rental car which I paid for twice more than they have reimbursed. Serramonte just declined giving me a spare car or reimbursing any taxi expenses! None of them got any closer to fixing the issue! And now the representative is telling me that I should take the car to the other dealership in Oakland for the 5th time! I guess it will be becoming just further and further from my home until I decline driving all the way there and be without a car for a day or two!! I know other people who complained the same way about the experience with VW and their stories were similar just not regarding the fuel consumption. And as I already told the Volkswagen representatives: "EVEN IF YOU FINALLY TEST THE CAR PROPERLY AND IT WILL SHOW THAT THERE IS NOTHING BROKEN IN THE CAR I AM STILL NOT OK WITH THIS CAR AND YOU MUST TAKE IT BACK!!! BECAUSE I WAS BUYING A CAR WITH 24 MPG AVERAGE, AND NOT 14!!! I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS CAR EVEN TO AN ENEMY!

A Very Nice Car

by Flyer63 from Seattle | February 7, 2015

I drove a 2001 Jetta GL with 2.0 engine and 5 speed manual for 14 years. It was very dependable and a great car. I purchased my 2014 Jetta SE in March of 2014. It has been a great car too. The new 1.8T motor is a good one. Mileage is 32-33 mpg to and from work and tops out at about 40 mpg on the highway. Uses regular gas too! The 6 speed automatic transmission is set up to keep rpm's low unless you use the sport mode. Lots of power too when you step on the gas pedal. Merging onto the freeway is easy with lots of power to spare. The interior is simple and functional. No learning curve here. Doesn't have a lot of confusing buttons and levers. You know what everything does from the very beginning. Nice dash layout. The exterior is simple but pleasing. The ride is firm but not harsh. Seats are very supportive and comfortable. The drive train is very smooth and quiet. There is no wind noise. Handling is very good as well with little or no body lean in quick turns. Interior room is very generous (I am 6'1") as is trunk space. I have over 12,000 miles now and have had no problems. I didn't get the connectivity upgrade as I am not a big whistles and bells guy. Overall, I am very pleased with this car. Incidently my wife and my dad both drive Jettas. We have purshased our last 4 cars at the same VW dealer and have been well treated. The only things I would change would be to put a pressurized cylinder on the hood replacing the prop rod, a temperature guage in the dash and the 2001 style hinges on the trunk instead of the goose neck arms that take away some usable trunk space.

My best buy for a compact sedan

by Vintage VW man from Orlando, Florida | January 30, 2015

I recently purchased the base Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 with a 5 speed manual. I was a bit disappointed with the engine, its a 2.0 four cylinder that only makes 115 hp. Volkswagen has neglected to updated it, because it is at least a 12 year old design. There are pluses and minuses to this. First, off everyone says that this engine is going to outlast the car because of its tired but true design, On the other side it is a bit slow, when I'm shifting with the 5 speed I really have to wait for the engine to build up before I shift. If not it just loses power. However, the fuel economy is insane! With my light I have achieved 34 mpg in mixed driving. After a highway run I got 39 mpg! That's great and it has a lot to do with the shifter which is superior, each shift is very smooth and precise. Clutch travel it very long and it picks up at the end, however, you get used to it. Inside quality is very good, however, like the engine the electronics are a bit outdated. Overall, even though I have only put 1500 miles on it, its great. So far there are no problems with it. This car is a great value buy - its fuel efficient, roomy, has great fuel economy, and good build quality!

VW Jetta Purchase at Huntington Beach VW

by RonM from Fountain Valley, CA | October 19, 2014

I went to the dealership last week and bought my daughter her first car from a salesman named Romy. He was the nicest salesman I have ever had the pleasure to deal with. He is a "no pressure" salesman who is very knowledgeable about their vehicles and financing programs. I got a fantastic deal from Romy that didn't require all the "back and forth" salesman tricks that would you normally expect when you buy a car. Romy made my deal easy and it happened fast - I paid the price I wanted to pay and the paperwork was completed in record time. I would definitely buy another car from Romy in the future - he is a guy you can trust!!!

My 2nd Diesel Jetta

by MG from Virginia | October 15, 2014

I've had an 2000 TDI for 11 years. It has been reliable overall. It now has 274,000 miles. The interior was terrible and everything breaks on the early 2000's years but the drive train has been excellent overall. The only poor engine design with my old one was the need to have a timing belt replaced every 60k miles at about 1000.00 per replacement. I just bought a 2014 and am hoping for similar reliability. The interior appears to be more durable than my old one. The power is noticeably better although the 2000 was always ok. I still get about 47 MPG on the 2000 and got almost 50 MPG on my first tank on the 2014. My second tank wasn't as good with only about 43 MPG but admittedly I was on the gas pedal more. Another immediate improvement on my 2014 is that it no longer requires the timing belt replacement every 60k. One thing I have found on the Jetta's is they come with a lot of extras which are only available an options on other cars I looked at in the similar price range.

happy

by happy owner from eureka springs AR | October 6, 2014

bought the base model Jetta TDI with a manual 6 speed transmission, love the fuel milage getting 44 miles to gal combination of highway and city driving. Love the torque the 2.0 TDI has can take some steep hills without downshifting. Had some early trouble with the TPMS system but dealer reprogramed it an everything seems fine now. Its amazing how much leg room is in the front of these cars, I am 6'2" and usually have the seat all the way back on most cars but not this one and that leaves a lot of rear leg room also. wished you could get it with standard tires not the low profile ones as I live on a gravel road. but overall I really like the car.

Impressed

by Jetta from Sterling, VA | September 17, 2014

I had to trade in my Ram 1500 quad cab for something for economical and family-friendly. I found the S model Jetta, which is 115 hp versus the 340 hp I was used to. I must say that after reading the reviews I was skeptical, but I test drove one anyway. The horse power is low, but the torque makes up for it. I also test drove an SE, and the difference in power to me was minimal. Sure the interior is a little blah, but if you consider yourself slightly more than a minimalist OR you know enough about vehicles to realize you can buy aftermarket accessories, then the S model is just fine. The 2.0 non-turbo, as I stated, has enough torque to make up for the lack of horsies, and I have yet to have any complaints. The tranny offers some diversity for those who wish to be more active during the driving process- the S has a very responsive electronic shifter. If you need bells and whistles and feel the need to impress those around you, then buy a GLI or TDI with the all the fixins- the S model is not for you. As far as the S model, the price point, the performance and safety features, and the basic benefit of German engineering should enough for those who require value and reliability without the bank account to buy a Audi.

Not enough update technically

by John from Orlando fl | August 23, 2014

Disappointed needs facelift. Styling and street linging. Typical styling from volkswagen. Needs more computer Info and less old technology.

You Jetta Believa

by Jetta Newbie from San Antonio, TX | August 6, 2014

Needed a new car for my 100 mile round trip commute everyday and I couldn't be happier with my 2014 Jetta TDI. I chose the next-to-the-top trim which includes a sunroof, Fender 6-speaker system (which totally rocks, btw) touchscreen satttelite/6-CD radio and bluetooth/Ipod connectivity. I've put on 7500 miles on it in 3 months with a combination of about 75% highway and 25% city and consistently get 35-40 mpg. I was very surpised by the snappy pickup and handling from the turbo 2.0, lots of fun to drive while rocking out to Hair Nation on the satellite radio. Larger than expected truck and backseat. I'm a large guy and the only minor complaint is entering and exiting the vehicle. Once you're in though, there's plenty of leg and headroom. A/C system is a bit on the noisy side, but I'll trade in a little noise for an efficient system anyday here in the San Antonio heat. The extended free maintenance (5 years) and warranty (7 years) were also big factors in choosing the Jetta TDI as this is my first diesel. Overall it has exceeded all expectations.

Once was a Japanese enthusiast....

by The Fish Lady from Monument Beach, MA | July 19, 2014

I recently purchased the Value Edition Jetta TDi and I am quite taken with the 'value' in this car. I am going through a mid life crisis and wanted to find a car that was fun to drive again now that my child is all grown up and I don't need a mommy wagon any more. I have always loved Japanese manufacturers for their reliability and their practical styles, but couldn't get both fun driving and good fuel economy in the same car on any of the models I drove. I searched for months for just the right vehicle. I still have my mommy wagon so the need was not rushed. But it got quite frustrating over that time. Then my son suggested I try the TDi since it has spunk and gets excellent fuel economy. Well, he was right! The diesel engine is quiet and not at all like old school diesels of the past. The body feels solid and the car feels heavy which makes me feel safe behind the wheel. I am enjoying having a standard transmission, the 6 speed is something new for me. I am averaging 46 mpg, and that is impressive in itself but the thing I am really sold on is the pick up this car has when needed. I forgot how fun driving can be. The value edition has all the bells and whistles I need and so far I only have issue with the sedan part, as I can't quite fit everything in the back of this car. I wish I could have spent the exte $5000 for the wagon but all in all, its a great car.