1998 Volkswagen New Beetle

Available in 2 styles:  New Beetle 2dr Hatchback Base shown

Overall

Never Again:VW No!

by buggin me no more from South Portland, Me | February 26, 2011

I always wanted a bug since I was a little kid and I got a used 1998 5years ago and initially I was thrilled. But that didn't last long. It was the first year of the New Beetle and it didn't take long for me to realize that there were lots of problems that should have been recalled and repaired by VW America(esp the electrical system). Even though the car had only 35k and no rust it cost me between 1.5 and 2k in repairs per year. The engine light was on all the time for one thing or another, the 98 was so low to the ground that I went through 2 catalytic converters from frost heave and from driving in snow the grill and fog lights were constantly getting smushed. Any time a mechanic had to work under the hood they had to drop the engine out which added to the cost of repair. I loved the drive but I only got 23-25mpg because of the weight. It was like a bad marriage: I loved the car but never again!

Fun to drive - Great economy!

by Biobug from Madison, WI | July 4, 2007

This is such a fun car to drive -- zippy as can be. As with most VWs, the plasticky interior is a bit cheap and shoddy - the dash is stupidly put- together (top dash panel clips broke during an AC/fan repair and are tough to replace) and the fabric on the ceiling is falling off. Even all the plastic molding and covers in the engine compartment are, in my opinion, unnecessary. Mechanically, the car is fabulous. I love it!

46 mpg!!!

by VW owner from Columbia City, IN | March 3, 2007

I have put over 50,000 miles on my diesel beetle, and have had minimal problems. Great car! I used to drive a 3/4 ton 4x4 to work, and since I got my beetle the payment, insurance, and diesel fuel is less than I used to pay a month just in gas! Great car, 12year warranty against rust. I have a 1998 and have yet to see any rust even under the car!

Fabulous Condition Pre-Owned Beetle

by RjayH1 from New York, NY | October 22, 2006

This Vehicle drives very well and is in perfect condition. I would recommend this Vehicle because of the price. It is a low price for a car which is in the condition this is. The color is electrifying and sharp. Good Luck!

Featured Services for this Volkswagen New Beetle