1999 Volkswagen New Beetle

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle

Available in 5 styles:  New Beetle 2dr Hatchback GLS shown

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Great, the best car for a student!!

by Beetle from Dyersburg, TN | September 17, 2011

I have been a mechanic for ten years now and most work to these was a windshield cleaning it has been one of Volkswagon's best! I have two a 99 and a 00

worst car in the us

by worst from | August 13, 2011

My step mom has one it broke down all the time i couldnt belive it!She had to buy 2 new engines and a battery!Dont buy these cars theyre lemons!

A HUGE Pain

by Brooke from Baltimore, MD | April 19, 2011

I've had numerous problems since 4 years ago when I had been given the car. A LOT of money has been spent to fix it up. I've also had to get the plastic piece at the bottom that protects the engine replaced twice (the car sits so gosh dang low!). The most frustrating part would have to be the fact that I have to go to a specific VW mechanic because the parts are so hard to find (thanks Germany). Overall, I don't have much of anything positive to say other than the fact that it's built to last. If you're willing to fix every single problem, you'll get a working car in the end..sort of. OH, and it's cute.

Very Reliable 'Herbie'

by Brent from Scottsburg IN | November 19, 2010

I bought my white beetle 2 years ago as a rebuilt wreck. I have found this car the BEST car i have ever had he is very reliable,quick and comfortable. I have never had one major problem with the car except a few minor electrical problems such as the driver door lock and the third brake light on the truck lid. this is very little things. i have also notice that this car can take a hit, insurance agency told me this is one of the safest cars on the road. i was hit on the interstate while stopped in traffic, driver told me he was going 55 and wasn't paying attention to what was in front of him. when he struck Herbie it destroyed his Cadillac sedan and barley done anything to my vehicle it left a small dent in my bumper and a black scuff mark, i was very surprised. i am very pleased with my car and i recommend a Volkswagen beetle to anyone thanks Brent

Cute: Good for youngsters

by Teleny from Eastern PA | October 15, 2010

I have a 99 with the 2.0 liter automatic couple. It has adequete power to get around, but certainly is not fast. The transmission is a bit odd, it holds onto gears longer to make up for a lack of torque, and shifts are sometimes awkward. The Beetle's interior is cheap, but stylishly cheap. Nice use of varied surfaces and the front seat passengers have an amazing amount of room. Rear seat headroom is constrained by the curved roofline. Luggage space is adequte. The ride is horrendous. Seriously, the Beetle's suspension is Germanic firm (I also have 2 BMWs), but tends to be more on the beat you up side-especially when dealing with larger bumps. Overall, the Beetle is reliable, seems to be built with decent build quality. I believe it would be perfect for younger people who you don't want driving a powerful vehicle and who can live with the rough ride. For older folks, you may want to look elsewhere-unless you are using it for short commutes, where the Beetle shines. Plus it's so dang cute!!!!!

VW New Beetle one of the best cars on the road!

by Charlie from Memphis, TN | March 31, 2010

Had my used 1999 Beetle only a couple of months. The gas mileage is great, handling the best I've seen in years, utility good with hatchback. Best for 2 passengers and maybe a pet or child in the back. BUT, had a car crash recently and the Beetle held up like a TANK!!!! Newer models have bigger engines and a bit less gas mileage, but a used one for a college student or runaround, this car is safe and satisfying.

great

by Katie from new york, ny | February 23, 2010

this car was great, I had it as my first car, and it was a good ride for a high schooler! the car that I have has a great cd player where you can put 6 cd's in. overall this is a great car!

Great Car, even better on GAS

by CoSeaChelle from Denver CO | February 19, 2010

One review stated that the car gets 300 miles on a tank of gas, well thisis a TDI I believe and I have a newer model (2002) Turbo Diesel (TDI) and get almost 600 miles to a tank. Mine has 175,000 miles on it and looks fantastic, runs great but I do take care of it and it has cost $ at the shop. Note that I put 750 miles on it a week. The only think I do not like is the cupholders, they were not well thought out. Handles great in snow and I drive it instead of my Jeep if not lots of white stuff.

Fun, but disappointing

by PizzaGirl from Pittsburg, KS | November 24, 2009

I wanted a VW Beetle for years, and after owning one for a year I'm sad to say I'll probably never get one again. I'm a pizza delivery driver, and while I absolutely love the low mpg (I can drive over 300 miles on one tank!), if there is any snow or ice on the ground I slide all over the road. In addition to poor winter handling, the car is simply falling apart. In the one year that I've owned my Beetle, the cover to my front headlight literally fell off my car on the highway, the power window's motor broke and the window came off the track, and my key snapped in two (the metal broke apart from the plastic keyless entry), which was a ridiculous $250 to replace. I've heard all these problems are very common. Unless you live in a place that has no snow and a money tree in the backyard to fix your rapidly detoriorating car, I wouldn't buy one.

This Car Saved My Life!!!!

by kstarr from Michigan | August 11, 2009

I absolutely would recommend this car to anyone!!! Five days ago I was in a very serious car accident. My entire front end was ripped out and I did three doughnuts across 3 lanes of traffic at 8:45 a.m. and I walked out of my car. I have one bruise and some whip lash, but the car saved my life! 5 Stars!

Featured Services for this Volkswagen New Beetle