2001 Volkswagen New Beetle

See Photos & Videos

Overall

so much fun

by bettle lover from Georgia | March 22, 2014

I purchased this car as it was my dream car. I had one for a rental 5 yrs ago and fell in love. I was a little upset a week after i purchased it to find out that i was sold a car that the clutch was burnt out in. I thought the smell was new brake pads. I love her though. I love the gas millage it gives and cant wait to drive her around for good. The only down side i can think of for the car is that the seats as far as i am concerned are very uncomfortable but the cute yellow color with sun room and 5 speed makes up for it all. I love how smooth it drives on the interstate.

Fun Little Car

by J.J. from Rancho Cordova, CA | May 14, 2013

I've owned my 2001 new beetle for about three months. Its a great little car. Its really fun to drive and gets decent gas mileage. Though not a sports car, steering is responsive and precise. I especially love the long list of standard features. Performance is surprisely well even with the base 2.0 liter engine. It rarely feels underpowered. I recommend buying a stick though as the automatic transmission on these cars has a lot of problems. Beware of VW's 01M 4 Speed Automatic Transmission and 09G 6 Speed Tiptronic Automatic Transmission! On 1998-2005 models, the 01M valve body can self destruct which is a cost of $900-$1500 to replace. In rare cases, the 01M can totally fail needing a whole new transmission or rebuild which is a cost of $5000-$8000. On 2005-2010 models, the 09G usually self destructs at 70,000-110,000 miles which needs a whole new transmission or rebuild with a cost of $5000-$8000. If you don't like driving stick and you really want an automatic transmission be sure to look for problems in upshifting and downshifting especially 3rd gear into 4th gear. Pay attention to way the transmission behaves. The only thing to ignore is a slight delay in the transmission engaging when shifting into drive. This is a normal feature of the transmission and is there to warm up the automatic transmission fluid faster. Explained to me by a VW Master Technician. You could play it safer by buying a model with the 01M transmission. However, I strongly recommend just playing it the safest and buying a stick.

love bug

by w0nderdawg from State College, PA | February 16, 2013

I love my 2001 bettle, i am 6'5" and there is more head and leg room in this car then any car i have ever been in. i higly recomend it. (front seat only) Car does decent in the snow. This is a good car for 2 people.

BEST CAR WE EVER HAD !!!!!!

by Martina from Wheeling IL | October 2, 2012

Its a Love Bug We are very happy with our Bug, Great on Gas, great in winter A lot of Space and no issues ! Is the cutes Car we ever had..... I know we had a hard time to find one black,manual with all options, heated seats and and and but it was worth the time Before we get our bug we looked around and found out that the vw beetle has many issues with the automatic transmission so we decide for a manual trans BE AWARE WITH AUTOMATIC !! All in all you you gone love him ......... Its a Love Bug Personal Note If you really looking to buy the car in your favorite color do it Black is always Top of the line ! and easier to sell in future Thanks ! Martina

Fun Car!

by Herbe' from Central New Jersey | August 8, 2011

Car is a blast to drive! Handles great and gets decent gas mileage too. Fun styling with great visibility.

best fuel mileage ever

by the bug from martinsville, VA | January 29, 2011

2001 new Beetle with 1.9 litre TDI diesel with five speed manual transmission, 40 to 43 MPG around town, 50MPG plus on the interstate with cruise control.good car for the money, however I will not buy another beetle, my next VW will be be a Jetta, TDI, the beetle has many plastic components that are a problem, to replace a headlight bulb is a major operation, as with replacing a tail light bulb or brake light bulb

Great little car

by zodiaccircle from New Jersey | August 26, 2010

I bought the VW New Beetle used several months ago and it is such an awesome little car! Before my VW I owned a Honda Civic, and while the Civic is a great car I've found I prefer my Beetle. The Beetle is very roomy in the driver's seat. The back is not too bad, I've crammed two of my friends in the back; they're not huge guys but they didn't complain. The front seats fold forward and give plenty of room for rear passengers to climb in. The back seats also fold down and give a ton of extra cargo space. I managed to fit a Playstation 3 and a saddle in the back with room to spare. I live in the mountains and this car handles the steep inclines great, except for a little wobbliness on tight uphill turns. It's really not a problem unless you try to take a turn like that at more than 30 mph, I'm not going to try that again! It seems my car had the infamous window problem years ago, but the records show it had been repaired and I haven't had a problem with it. My only complaint is that anything plugged into the cigarette lighters will remain on, even if the car is turned off. I can forgive this because the car is older, though. If you purchase this car, make sure you unplug everything before you get out or you'll have a dead battery, for sure! It's not a perfect car, but I wouldn't trade my Beetle for anything.

Awesome little car

by PhilL from | June 7, 2010

Had it 10 years and it has always been super reliable to me. Got me where i was going in style, comfort and safety only German engineering can provide!!!

Great Buy!

by New Hampshire Viking from Woodsville NH | October 6, 2009

Purchased it used from Auburn MA Dlr. Have driven it 20,000 to date. Only problem was my mistake used wrong diesel fuel. Honestly getting 48 MPG to 53 MPG driving to and from work in a rural part of N.H. Due to turbo-diesel feature, 5 spd manual, set cruise on Interstate and never touch pedal. I think this is the "Real Smart Car." Went from spending over $500@month on gas with my Buick to way less than $200.

My Happy Place

by Beetle lover from Freehold, NJ | May 15, 2009

Maybe it's the dome-like shape and feeling of space inside, but I've always felt like the front seat of my beetle was my 'happy place'. Lots of room in the front for a larger person, despite being a small and fairly fuel-efficient car. I've had to replace the O2 sensor and the check engine light still comes on sometimes... but no problem that has ever left me on the side of the road, so I would rate this car as quite dependable.

Featured Services for this Volkswagen New Beetle