2003 Volkswagen New Beetle

2003 Volkswagen New Beetle

Available in 12 styles:  2003 Volkswagen New Beetle 2dr Hatchback shown

Overall

Love the look but hate the car

by Cargirl from Texas | November 22, 2013

I have wanted a bug for longer than I can remember, I got in a wreck and totaled my old car and bought a 2203 beetle with under 80,000 miles. I was in love with this car. Then things started going down hill, no one except the vw dealership with work on this car. And the dealership charges an arm and two legs for mechanical or any other work. Mine was a convertible, which is overrated, such a hassle, I've had the car a year and a half and have put the top down maybe 4 times. I had the car a week and the convertible too was down and I couldn't get it to go back up, so a free days and $1000 dollars later the top worked and I never put it down after that. Lights on the dashboard went out, the car smelt like plastic, which other be I've been in have had the same smell. The battery died all the time, was replaced and still was shotty. Not worth the hassle or the money.

So much fun to drive!

by Punchbuggy Mom from North Reading, MA | September 3, 2013

We are the third owners of this 10-year old car and it's in great condition, we bought it with fewer than 36 K miles on it; it still has its plastic flower! My daughter has always wanted a Beetle and after reading the reviews about expensive maintenance, I tried to steer her in another direction, but we saw this car and it was in such great shape and the previous owners had put a fair amount of money into it, so hopefully we'll be lucky. We've only had it about 10 weeks and had the rear brakes done after having it checked over as soon as we bought it . They were grabbing and are fine now. There is a slow leak in the wiper fluid reservoir that will need attention at some point, but it'll wait until something more major needs work as the engine compartment is so tight that it will require professional expertise. We all want to drive the car, it's a blast with the Turbo, super-peppy and handles well and very comfortable seats. The ventilation system is powerful and efficient, cools us down within seconds of turning on the A/C. The blind spot is a big one, so one has to look carefully. Head room in front is wonderful, better than our Subarus, not so in the rear seats. The front seats move forward very easily, so it's not hard to get in and out unless you're very tall. The cup holder in front is not in the best place, as has been mentioned, but we just found out that the base swivels towards the passenger side so at least one taller cup can fit into it. There's not a lot of ground clearance, so you have to be careful with steep driveways and tall speed bumps or you can scrape the plastic shield under the engine. Other than that, it's a great, solid little car, and we hope to enjoy driving it for years to come!

Reliability,good driving,safety and saves gas

by Value for money,car good quality and taste. from texas | December 22, 2011

great good car.reliability and to gas efficiency.Whatelse,you just needs to driving this sleek beauty,easy sharp turns as to safety,comfortabilty as to interior and exterior,absolutely gorgeous.Drives real good.I bought mine used,2003,having currently 97k n stills drives great without any problems.Only issues is headlights may needs changing since is periodically on and in auto.Switch it off,should yous comes with that and when you day driving because you absolutely don`t needs headlights to day driving,makes sense.?Yeah!Would recommeds to friends.

Over-engineered = Under-reliable

by La Fox from Illinois | December 6, 2011

I've never owned a car with less reliability than this New Beetle after just 11,000 miles. Electrical problems galore; if your battery goes dead (which can happen if parked for a week unused), there's the very real possibility that no one will be able to jump-start you, because the onboard computer needs to be reset at considerable expense only at a VW dealership after being towed there first (the car will turn itself off after starting up). Multiple batteries, an alternator, defective radio, failing sensors . . . I'm waiting for the extended warranty provider to cancel on me due to so many claims filed against it. My first car was a 1966 VW Bug; this New Beetle will be my last VW.

Cute, peppy and reliable

by FunkeeFiji from Grand Rapids, MI | June 14, 2011

I have owned a Bug for about 7 years-first a 2002 that was smashed by a wild Grand Cherokee and then a 2003. My daughter and I have had very few problems with them...in fact, the 2003 has sat through several Michigan Upper Peninsula winters and has never needed the battery jumped or had trouble in deep snow. I sent her off to college with purchased road service but she never needed to use it.

I Have 3 and LOVE THEM

by Planet Solar from CA | January 21, 2011

My company Planet Solar has 3 TDI Beetles and I love them. Bought them ranging from 40k miles to 120k miles. Sure the fit and finish gets a bit worn, a few rattles while driving, over 120k miles, but so does my Mercedes. But that diesel motor is bullet-proof and will go forever! Bottom line, I'll probably buy 3 more this year.

Run dont walk

by Nevermore from Modesto, Ca | May 10, 2010

Bought thei car used with 20k miles and had it one year. It was in for repairs 11 times, problems included, lights burning out excessivly, windows that would go down but not go up. top that wouldnt go all the way down, watterpump that went out, transmission that wouldnt shift right, and then the headlining started falling out. that was the last straw. Cost me a lot of money for one year and never another european car in my garage.

vw beetle convertible

by flower child from hermitage, pa | March 31, 2010

beautiful car..i'm in love. BUT..already had to take it back to get a window fixed, thankfully still under warranty cause it was $300 just for the regulator. Worried about transmission..seems to shift hard and this seems to always come up in reviews. Any suggestions? They told me it was "just how a VW shifts". ?!?!

Turbo "S"

by SG from Utah | December 27, 2009

In one month I'll have owned this car for seven years, and it has been super. Runs great in all seasons, climbs mountain highways with ease, handles and rides very nice for a smaller car. And it still averages about 30 mpg (mostly city driving) with the original factory performance upgrades.

Beetle Buyer Beware

by Rustyneedles from Scottsdale, Arizona | October 31, 2009

For the good on this car, it's cute. However, with four noted recalls under it's hood regarding safety and reliablity all the cute in world does not make this car worth the trouble. First, it has a cold start issue, 40 degrees and under fails to start, The window motors failed intermittenly the 1st two years then after replacing with original parts failed again two years later, on the 5th year the back window fell out of the convertible, which will require an entirely new top with the price far exceeding $2000.00. The value of trade in is $5500.00 at a dealer with these issues. Resale to an unwitting buyer is in the ranges 7 to 77K... Not the best buy as an ego car if your income is not totally expendable.

Featured Services for this Volkswagen New Beetle