2000 Volkswagen Passat

$951–$7,611

Overall

Don't ever get a Volkswagen

by Christina from GA | October 21, 2012

My brother and I have both owned Volkswagens, his the Tetta and mine the Passat. Both were maintenance nightmares. For the six years I've owned mine, I've had to take it to the shop at least three times a year for the past 3-4 years. Lately it's started falling apart even worse than normal. The check engine light is on, I've taken it four times to the mechanics to be fixed, but it still comes back on. My brother went through two engines with his 2001 Jetta. Aside from my engine, I need a couple thousand dollars worth in repairs; things are always going wrong with it. There is not a year that I don't spend hundreds to sometimes thousands in repairs. My brother's Jetta was the same story. Volkswagen are safe, but they are not reliable or worth the expense in repairs. Even mechanics tell me Volkswagens are bad cars.

A fun car with not too much hassle involved

by Dan the VW Man from Milwaukee | October 11, 2011

I bought my first 00 VW Passat from my aunt and uncle when I was 17, and I had it for 4 years. Reliability never was too big of a problem, the only reliability issue I noticed was the CV boot which ended up costing about $250 ever 6 months or so. Beyond that, the only massive issue I encountered was replacing the water pump for $800 and that was after 4 years. I bought another one 3 months ago with more miles, and it hasn't been a hassle yet except for a wheel bearing. If you're looking at a passat, a B5.5 generation or newer may be a better call.

Loved this car!!!

by Tiffany from Connecticut | February 7, 2011

I just sold my car and sad to see it go. I loved driving it. It cornered beautifully and drove so smooth. I think this car is happiest going 80. It looked modest from the outside but was decked on the inside with everything imaginable. I couldn't have made a better purchase when I bought it. I test drove a 4 cyl. 2 years younger and it performed like a completely different car than the v6. I did have an issue at one point with some water getting into the back floor but it turned out to be some issue with drains for the moonroof that needed to be cleaned out from leaves. Turned out to be an easy fix. The styling holds up for years as well.

Great Car All Around

by Zippy Driver from Matthews, NC | December 21, 2010

Drove my 2000 Passat Wagon for 8 years. It was my second VW. The car is solid, practical, fun and handled very well. Got good gas mileage with a V6 and was so responsive. Had sufficient bells and whistles without going overboard. Had a couple recurring mechanical issues like the motor mounts and tie rods but overall the engine was solid and ran like a top. The room in the back is awesome for a sedan, I put everything back there. Interior was even luxurious with burlwood and sunroof. Great all around car.

Love it so far

by Miss. Speed from Athens, AL | April 9, 2010

I just bought this car and i love it, it is a good car and i love the interior i have had so many compliments on it and this has been the better car that i have ever owned. I did buy this used and for a good price, so far the only repairs i had to have was replacing a headlight. It gets good gas mileage. I would seriously tell you to go get one today.

Love this car!

by Gig from Takoma Park, MD | April 2, 2010

I have had VWs most of my life and I love driving them. They are absolutely reliable and when I've tried to go to other automakers I am always disappointed. My only complaint is that some of the trim on other VW models hasn't adhered well. For the Passat 2000, they have also had some recall issues on the rocker arm.

Amazing car and in excellent condition!!

by JB7 from Van Nuy, CA | February 24, 2010

Amazing car and in excellent condition!! Great price for a car in that condition and mileage. The car drives like a dream and is great for running around town with the friends. The heated seats are wonderful on those cool mornings when you need to warm up and relax for those long commutes.

Maintenance Nightmare

by Rick from Lancaster, PA | February 8, 2010

When the car runs it's excellent. The problem is keeping it out of the shop. The Emissions Control system is very unreliable. Late in the game VW decided, at least for the 4 cyl, that the engine required synthetic oil (following a near $2K repair of the engine lubrication system). There has to be something better for you to drive out there.

still a great car at 123,000 miles

by debw from Miami from NYC | December 16, 2009

Bought this car used with 34,000 on it, and now have 123,000. We use it as a second car, and it has been thru three renovations and many trips to Home Depot. We love this car. Never had a problem with it, other than radiator needed to be replaced at 102,000 miles and the CV joints twice. I have the V6 2.8L engine, which is outstanding in performance and reliability. The problems people seem to have are withthe 4 cyl. Everything still works, and the ride is comfortable, the heated leather seats still good. Steering still tight and no tranny issues---ever. I wish I could say the same for other cars I've had.

A car that I can only recommend to wrench heads

by Jim from Houston, TX | December 1, 2008

I purchased the GLX new and have never regretted it. I treat my car with kid gloves and lavish attention on it. The cost of this car was an indulgence for me, but I really wanted it and was somewhat blinded by its features and beauty. I followed all the maintenance requirements and still suffered some setbacks. The ABS module quit and I had it rebuilt. The outer CV joint boots opened up at 50,000 miles and I replaced them. The fuel tank sensor went out. The side mirrors quit working. The rear view auto dimming mirror sprung a leak and all the magic liquid ran out permanently staining whatever the liquid touched. The tie rods were shot at 60,000 miles. A sensor in the fancy climate system went out and prevented the AC from working. Lucky for me, I was able to do all this work myself at great savings in labor. Had this work been done at the dealer, it would have been very expensive. I enjoy fixing this stuff although I must say I have spent about 2000 for parts in these past 9 years. Of course I also purchased some manuals and a diagnostic cable that has made my continued ownership of this car possible. This is why I would not recommend this car to a friend. It requires a commitment to support it that I would not expect most sane people to have. However, if a person is mechanically inclined and willing to invest in learning how to care for this car, the rewards are great. If one expects it to run like a top with only scheduled maintenance, forget about it! A good thing is that all the repairs were made with parts that seemed to have been upgraded and I expect they will not malfunction early again. My car still looks new although the interior paint is becoming sticky and wearing off. The leather seats are still beautiful. The car feels very solid and safe. Highway trips are a pleasure. Still, it would be a money pit for some people. So, if you are going to be under your car with a wrench once a month anyway because you love to play with cars, this one is for you. If you expect to get by on only scheduled maintenance you will spend a lot of time waiting for a tow truck. I understand why people either love this car or hate it.

Featured Services for this Volkswagen Passat