2004 Volkswagen Passat

Available in 16 styles:  2004 Volkswagen Passat 4dr FWD Sedan shown

Overall

very good car

by car man from kc mo | July 1, 2014

great car to drive love it plus it holds its value. If I had the chance to buy another one I would in a heart beat

244,000 miles and going great

by high mileage driver from Pittsburgh, PA | September 29, 2013

We bought our 2004 Passat 1.8L 4 Motion new and tend to put lots of miles on our cars. This car has been basically trouble free and is a pleasure to drive. We have found that the German cars we've had (Audis and VWs) seem to handle the mileage without much problem. Other cars we've had have had issues. We love this car! It also has a very good sized area behind the seats which was important when we bought it as we had a large dog. We have a steep driveway which we don't plow because the car goes up without a problem.

beutiful, stylish, zippy, when turbo kicks in.

by Lewie dewey from GA | February 8, 2013

I'm very impressed with the mature style, quality of workmanship, well thought through concept of this car, which has been built in this model since 1998

Love My VWs

by VW Manuel To the Death from Columbiaville, MI | September 4, 2012

This is my 3rd VW and with the reliability, and durability that they have, I'll keep buying them. Great car! mine is the Passat GLS with 4 Motion. takes premium gas (downer with gas prices being so high) but I still get around 30-33mpg. the turbo is slow to kick in in low gears, but when it does you take off. The 4 motion keeps my traction even in the winter (which I'm now looking forward to since I have a great AWD car). and if it is at all like my other VWs it will last well over 300K miles (my 91' Golf has 354K and my 98' Jetta has 306K) Keep it Up VW!!

Hoped for better

by Mr. Objective from Morris Co, NJ | June 8, 2012

I bought my 2004 TDI sedan brand new with the hope of keeping it a long time. Great driver, great MPG (40+ highway), very comfortable for 5 adults. Everything I expected when I bought it and I've had it dealer maintained from the beginning. The negatives - too many expensive repairs, complex front suspension system, recalled glow plugs, and now increasing reports of failed Balance Shafts and Transmissions. In my mind, these major, expensive mechanical problems offset the longevity story for the diesel engine. I don't even think I can consider a new VW diesel based on this experience. I really hoped for better...

Praise for Passats

by VW guy from Richmond, VA | April 28, 2012

I bought a one owner '04 Passat with 47K miles in 2010 as a replacement for my 2000 Passat with 233K miles. Both of my passats have had the V6 engine with 5 spd manual. The car is sporty (sunroof, leather, alloys) and fun to drive, afterall how many midsize sedans have manual trannys. The passat is kind of an affordable Audi and is sized between the A4 and the A6 Audis. To be fair, the Audi's have fully independent suspension, whereas the pre 2006 passats don't. Buy one if you can find one.

Reliable car

by Love VW from Appleton, WI | November 12, 2011

I bought this car new and have not been disappointed. I purchased it after selling my 2000 Beetle. Both cars were a delight to drive and I can't recall any major repairs to either vehicle. I highly recommend Volkswagon

Fun to begin with but a let down now.

by vw2004 from Tualatin, OR | November 3, 2011

Spent way too much money on this car in repairs. This year alone $4k for various things. I bought this car new and I have taken care of it. The way its behaving at just 70k miles I am not impressed. Will not buy VW again.

an excellent reliable car.

by fatsly from | March 19, 2011

this is a well engineered car. Also it is a very reliable car, the style and options are worth every penny.

Car not reliable

by Passat owner2004 from Vermont | March 1, 2011

I have sunk thousands in repairs of my 04 since I bought it new. It was my 3rd VW and will be my last.

Featured Services for this Volkswagen Passat