2006 Volkswagen Passat

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Best car I've owned!

by Car guy from Orem utah | January 29, 2014

Sold my 2000 jetta with 230k and bought my passat. Absolutely love this car! No troubles and still going strong with 130k on it. Best car I've owned so far!

My favorite car ever!

by Passatt Lover!!! from Prairieville, LA 70769 | October 25, 2013

This Passatt is reliable, comfortable & good on gas. I love it!!! I am planning on buying another one.

Total LEMON!

by ajalcorn from Miramichi, New Brunswick, Canada | August 14, 2013

I bought the 2006 Passat in2009 with 88,000 kms on it and paid way too much for it. I fell in love with the sleek looking exterior and luxury ride. It worked ok the first year or two but then the problems started. My key would get stuck in the ignition... the latch for the trunk would freeze in the winter (I live in Canada) and would not close. The AC barely works even though I got it fixed under my extended warranty. Then I had trouble starting the car for a while... turns out that was under a recall yet I was never informed of it by letter. It had to do with the steering column or something. Another issue was the electronic parking brake. It seized up due to not using it and that cost A LOT to repair. And to this day, the light is still on. I'd be driving and the light would come on and I would lose power and have to pull over. Oh and that's only part of the repairs I've had to make since I bought it. 2 wheel barrings, broken sway bar, broken coil. So as you can see, this car is a TOTAL LEMON. Stay away! I will NEVER buy another VW again after this nightmare experience.

What a car!

by jrm from Ottawa, Ontario, CA | November 1, 2012

Being a former Jetta owner, I really liked the style of the 2006 passat, recently took car on a 5,000 km trip to south florida and back,,,, what a hot rod....this car handles and drives like a dream, it is a great freeway car. no problems, never had to even add oil. I would recommend a test drive to anyone!

VR6-4motion Passat 06

by VeeDubLuv from SWMO | September 1, 2012

Passing my 2.0T on to my oldest college-bound kiddo. It's an 06 with 100k. Still love that car and it's been good to me. Wanted an AWD for Midwest winters. I found a one-owner with 57k (06 too). Love it. 286HP vs 200HP with a couple steps up in trim level. Mine didn't have Xenon/HID or the DyneAudio system. So, I've added some "whiter" halogens and am upgrading the speakers and adding an amp. I'll likely keep the factory HU though--I like the indigo/crimson look. In short: fun, classy, dependable ride.

Stay away from 2006

by VW 99 from Toledo,Ohio | March 20, 2012

This is my second Passat. The first is a 1999 which has been an awesome car. 235,000 miles and still going. This lead us to the 2006 and this car was a good one the first couple years and now is just a money pit. Obvious problems in 2006. Just look around the internet. VW knows it but will not stand behind the product. I recently sent a note to VW about another thousand dollar repair. They responed saying they would get back to me and guess what...they have not. Run from the 2006. Save yourself the agony and the $$$$$ reapirs.

Passat to cover all your needs

by Chiefsfan from Kansas City, MO | March 20, 2012

I've owned many VWs but the 2006 Passat 3.6 4Motion is by far by favorite of all. I have been driving for 6 years, now and although I've racked up some mileage, I have been unable to find a new car that I like nearly as much as the Passat I'm now driving. And with it still looking and driving like a brand new car, I think I'm going to keep on driving this one.

Great Buy

by New VW Owner from Silver Spring, MD | February 15, 2012

This is a great car! It performs well and gets good gas mileage. For a used car, it's in excellent condition. I like this car enough that I would buy a new one the next time I'm in the market for a car.

DON'T BUY A 2006 VW Passat

by Zman328 from North Salem, NY | July 14, 2011

VW doesn"t stand behind their cars. VW knows their 2006 Passat 2.ol has serious engine design flaws that causes the car to begin burning oil around 40,000+ plus miles. This ultimately leads to your needing to replace the engine at your own expense!!!! Run don"t walk away from this model!!!!

Passat - Electronic Parking Brake

by MIKEM from Dallas, TX | April 14, 2011

Overall, the 2006 VW Passat has been a great car. The 2.0L Turbo provides phenomenal acceleration. My one complaint with this vehicle involves the maintenance cost. VW requires a special blend of oil that can only be purchased at VW. Also, this vehicle has an electronic parking brake. This means that any rear brake work can only be done by VW. When my electronic parking brake switch failed, I had to have the car towed in and the cost of the switch plus reseting the computer cost $350. The other issue with this vehicle is the AC - it really can't keep up with hot summers in the Southwest. Other than those issues this car has been very reliable and fun to drive.