2009 Volkswagen Passat

19 city / 28–29 hwy

Overall

2009 Passat Komfort Wagon - Solid as a rock

by Ataway from Orange County, CA | August 6, 2015

Well, where to start...I bought pre-owned Passat wagon at about 8 months old and 12,000 miles. That was nearly 5 years and 66,000 miles ago. This is about the longest I've ever owned a car, so kudos to the VW for having enough features, performance and style to garner such staying power with me! I'd say the only gripes I have would be the following: front wheel drive was the only option for 2009+, exterior styling of the wagon is in my opinion better than the sedan but still lacking in comparison to Audi Avant counterpart (there are Audi parts all over this car), as another mentioned the rain-sensing wipers could use some work (and likely have been improved in the years since), the CD changer is finally having issues though still works, and I would like seat ventilation. I don't think nav is necessary since my phone does the job wonderfully. How about the high points? Well, I've really only had to take it in for scheduled maintenance, which I do on schedule. No significant maintenance issues to report in nearly 5 years of hard-driving ownership. Pretty excellent in my opinion. I really like how well the V-Tex leatherette seats have held up, still look new! I do tend to overheat in the V-Tex (as I do with any other seat regardless of material) so I don't often use the seat heaters, but they do work very well. Stereo is more than adequate. Wheels still look modern, and in fact are better looking than most modern rims (10-spoke design). Handling is very good since it rides on fairly wide tires for this size sedan (though with RWD/AWD would be perfect). Love the interior design with the graceful arc that traverses the door and around the dash. Also, subtle design cues like the crease on the glove box matching the same crease on the exterior of the car is truly wonderful. All surfaces are soft where you touch them and there are cool hidden cubby-holes above the center dash vents. The 2.0T is a great little engine as evidenced by all the awards and accolades it has so rightly garnered over the years, and is plenty motivated to get my wagon quick-enough up to speed (but not recommended above 120 mph since aerodynamics at very high speed provide more lift than downforce, so steering control becomes very light). I would add that fuel economy is decent (for a 6 year old car) at just south of 30 mpg highway & about 20 in town. And I love the "Audi-esque" front grill of my 2009, so much better than the new hum-drum bumper design that makes new Passats (and all other VWs) look like any other Honda, etc. Oh, and this "little" wagon hauls so much it is always astounding...more so than I can usually fit in our premium SUV. I can fit my full-suspension 29er MTB in the back with seats folded and not have to remove the front wheel! The push button close for the rear hatch (and open from the remote!) is a fantastic feature, though it closes with a slam, so watch to ensure your little-one's fingers are not in harm's way. And I primarily use my vehicle for "all the above" when it comes to commuting, hauling the family, outdoor sports, enthusiast driving, just around town, work, etc...Just not for towing or serious off-roading. A wonderfully solid, reliable, comfortable, versatile, and rewarding vehicle to own. Thank you, VW, and please bring back the Passat wagon with a TDI and AWD! (accidentally posted same review under 2008 Passat, this is a 2009)

Horrible car

by Not Happy from | August 6, 2014

My daughter bought a 2009 Passat a couple years ago and has already spent over $3,000.00 on repairs. Then she goes into the hospital for neck surgery, parks her car in her driveway, where it sits for three weeks until she is able to drive again. When she gets back in it to start it up, it tries, but will not start. Long story short-somehow the timing belt slipped a notch and now the motor is ruined. The local dealership wants $9,000.00 to fix it and she owes around $12,000.00. Recently divorced, she cannot afford to fix it and neither can I. They offered her $1,300.00 trade value as is and said if she will repair it, (at their dealership for the aforementioned $9,000.00), they will give her 8,000.00 towards a new piece of junk VW. After having looked into this matter I have discovered the timing belt issue is a common problem with this car and VW is doing nothing to help her. It only has 80,000 miles at this point. So much for the lauded "German Engineering."

Great Family Car

by ARizzle from Dayton, OH | April 29, 2014

Sam Cotterman at Evans Motorworks did a terrific job at helping my family find a new vehicle! Very knowledgeable and friendly! I highly recommend that if you are looking for a car whether you are battling a budget or just looking for the perfect car to fit you to go visit him!

Best Car I've Ever Owned

by Dave from Ann Arbor, MI | January 12, 2014

Although I've had problems with the exhaust intake manifold for the turbo not once but TWICE, the dealer took care of this $600 fix both times. Additionally, the ignition problem with the key which totes a $2500 bill was covered under a recall. If you have had this problem and have paid for it out of pocket, contact VW for reimbursement. The car runs great and looks great. Minimal maintenance and has been extremely reliable minus the few setbacks listed above. 109k miles and still going strong. Took it in yesterday for its 100k mile tune-up and only needed oil and an alignment.. Make sure to run full synthetic oil through this car for the turbo's longevity and performance. I have Continental ProContact Tires on my car and have never had any problems. Very low tire noise, great mpg, and duration (lasted 60k miles). Good in the snow and SPECTACULAR in wet conditions.

2008 Passat Komfort not worth it!

by Sad VW owner from Miami, FL | September 18, 2013

2008 Passat with 45 K miles suddenly doesn't start. I am told that the theft deterrent system doesn't recognize the key fob...meaning that they need to pull out the entire steering column to replace the computer chip. The tow truck driver can't even get the car into neutral to tow it...no power at all. $1400 later, after they replace that and get the car to start, my horn isn't working and needs a new relay board. Also, I need to replace one of the key fobs at 200. I would never buy another VW and will unload this one as soon as possible. The Customer Care center should be renamed The "we don't care" Center because VW obvously knows there are issues with the design of the car and refuses to offer any assistance with the repair. Very disappointed and angry....

Problems

by Kinnno from cleveland ohio | December 30, 2012

The car is beautiful it runs great and is good on gas. I have never owned a car with this many problems in my life. The a/c compressor died the horn stopped working the turn signals stopped working the column lock was defective so there were times that the car could not be driven. All of this occured after the tree year warranty was up. I would lease one but i will never by another.

love this car

by car lover from 11746 | May 15, 2012

i bought my vw passat two months ago i love it best car i ever owned high quality interior and safety

Great purchase, great value

by VW Will from Brandywine, MD | April 10, 2012

I was looking for economy and comfort, needless to say I found it. The Passat looks good rides great and even the 2L 4cylinder turbo gets great gas mileage on premium gas... Highly recommend.

Most horrified experience

by Ms. Frustrated from New Jersey | August 22, 2011

My past month has been aweful because of my 2009 Volkswagen Passat. I have been the shop to repair it for 9 times within one month. It became my part time job since the beginning of July. I need advice for what you would do if it happened to you. Last Friday, after twice major parts (Intake Manifold, fuel pump) replaced, my car all the sudden stalled at intersection when I waited for a left turn. After I restarted and moved for about 30 feet, it stalled again in the middle of the road. I was horrified, if it happened on the highway I could get killed or seriously injuried!!! Besides it, my client sat next to me in the passager seat, the comment from my client:"you should get a good car"! I felt it was a shame and so helpless. I need your help...

Passat is great

by VW lover from Rockville, md | July 21, 2011

I have had 4 passat cars. As long as you maintain it well it's a great car. It s a great family car. Would rate it best in terms of safety.