2009 Volkswagen Passat

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Best Car I've Ever Owned

by Dave from Ann Arbor, MI | January 12, 2014

Although I've had problems with the exhaust intake manifold for the turbo not once but TWICE, the dealer took care of this $600 fix both times. Additionally, the ignition problem with the key which totes a $2500 bill was covered under a recall. If you have had this problem and have paid for it out of pocket, contact VW for reimbursement. The car runs great and looks great. Minimal maintenance and has been extremely reliable minus the few setbacks listed above. 109k miles and still going strong. Took it in yesterday for its 100k mile tune-up and only needed oil and an alignment.. Make sure to run full synthetic oil through this car for the turbo's longevity and performance. I have Continental ProContact Tires on my car and have never had any problems. Very low tire noise, great mpg, and duration (lasted 60k miles). Good in the snow and SPECTACULAR in wet conditions.

2008 Passat Komfort not worth it!

by Sad VW owner from Miami, FL | September 18, 2013

2008 Passat with 45 K miles suddenly doesn't start. I am told that the theft deterrent system doesn't recognize the key fob...meaning that they need to pull out the entire steering column to replace the computer chip. The tow truck driver can't even get the car into neutral to tow it...no power at all. $1400 later, after they replace that and get the car to start, my horn isn't working and needs a new relay board. Also, I need to replace one of the key fobs at 200. I would never buy another VW and will unload this one as soon as possible. The Customer Care center should be renamed The "we don't care" Center because VW obvously knows there are issues with the design of the car and refuses to offer any assistance with the repair. Very disappointed and angry....

Problems

by Kinnno from cleveland ohio | December 30, 2012

The car is beautiful it runs great and is good on gas. I have never owned a car with this many problems in my life. The a/c compressor died the horn stopped working the turn signals stopped working the column lock was defective so there were times that the car could not be driven. All of this occured after the tree year warranty was up. I would lease one but i will never by another.

love this car

by car lover from 11746 | May 15, 2012

i bought my vw passat two months ago i love it best car i ever owned high quality interior and safety

Great purchase, great value

by VW Will from Brandywine, MD | April 10, 2012

I was looking for economy and comfort, needless to say I found it. The Passat looks good rides great and even the 2L 4cylinder turbo gets great gas mileage on premium gas... Highly recommend.

Most horrified experience

by Ms. Frustrated from New Jersey | August 22, 2011

My past month has been aweful because of my 2009 Volkswagen Passat. I have been the shop to repair it for 9 times within one month. It became my part time job since the beginning of July. I need advice for what you would do if it happened to you. Last Friday, after twice major parts (Intake Manifold, fuel pump) replaced, my car all the sudden stalled at intersection when I waited for a left turn. After I restarted and moved for about 30 feet, it stalled again in the middle of the road. I was horrified, if it happened on the highway I could get killed or seriously injuried!!! Besides it, my client sat next to me in the passager seat, the comment from my client:"you should get a good car"! I felt it was a shame and so helpless. I need your help...

Passat is great

by VW lover from Rockville, md | July 21, 2011

I have had 4 passat cars. As long as you maintain it well it's a great car. It s a great family car. Would rate it best in terms of safety.

Get rid of it before it breaks your bank

by Down with Passat from raleigh | November 22, 2010

The most unreliable car in its class ......by a few miles. Very expensive to maintain and always in need of expensive repairs.

SOLID CAR, SOLID VALUE, BLAST TO DRIVE

by TX-DUBBER from Houston, TX | July 22, 2010

2009 VW PASSAT KOMFORT 2.0T This car has been solid in every way possible. The buy process with the local VW dealer was a breeze and the value for the money was off the charts. The dealer even upgraded the rims & tires at no charge. I paid extra for the extended warranty, so I have no worries on repairs until I reach 105,000 miles. Our other car is a Mercedes R350 and the VW compares nicely. VW doesn't have the same power and finish on the interior, but it comes close in every dimension. This Komfort has just what is needed in terms of standard features. I haven't found a need to upgrade anything on the vehicle. I miss the Homelink controls for opening my garage, but I've gotten used to it not being there. Also, the front passenger seat should be power. The VW is utilitarian in a stylish way. A blast to drive, especially when the turbo kicks in. She rockets from 70 to 90 mph in the blink of an eye. Cruising at high speed the car seems to sit down on the highway and ask for more speed. Very fast vehicle, very fun to drive and tool around town. MPG has averaged 25-30 mph. She goes 500+ miles on a full tank strictly highway driving. Pretty impressive.

09 Komfort Sedan

by Go German Cars from Boston | January 4, 2009

I own and X5 and turned in my '06 C280 4-Matic for this Passat. I shopped the A4, 328, and C-Class. The value of the Passat and the sales experience over these cars is what sold me. You don't give up much at all going with the Passat. It has solid, safe German engineering, design, and performance like the others. As a bonus, you get the free scheduled maintenance. With the sign and drive program, you get a lease payment $200 less than the others with no money down. The sales experience exceeded the other dealerships. There were no false or misleading ads. The Komfort edition comes as it is with no added options to jack up the payment. The relatively low sticker and rebate left little margin for negotiation, where the Merc and BMW dealers were looking to make $4,000+ on each sale. Now that I have the car, I can say that the comfort is on par with the others, except for the added features you overpay for in the others, like rain sensing wipers and memory seats. I am very pleased with the performance. Where the Merc was franticly fast, the VW is fast. The Passat is just as fun to drive, but only about 9/10 of the Merc, BMW, and Audi because of lacking the AWD and about 20 HP. Getting 34 MPG on the highway vs. 27 in the Merc is a fair compromise. The exterior is simply gorgeous. It looks like an Audi and has more aesthetic use of the "flame surfacing" than the BMW. The interior with its blue and red lighting is a more modern and mature look than the Merc. It is much more roomy and just as comfortable, arguable more so due to the added room. Feature by feature, you are getting at least an equivalent or better car for $200 less per month on the lease. The payment and free scheduled maintenance make it a steal. You get the space of a 5-Series or E350. This is the first time I ever walked out of a showroom after signing the papers feeling completely guilt free, satisfied, and excited about my new car. The $200 per month I saved will be added to my monthly contribution to the 529 savings plan. I would advise all other BMW and Merc owners to consider doing the same.