2012 Volkswagen Passat

Available in 8 styles:  2012 Volkswagen Passat 4dr Sedan shown

Overall

Love the TDI!

by Ozzywald from Boise, ID | September 5, 2014

Bought it new off the lot in 2012. Over the past 30 months I've put 71k miles on it. I love it! It's low end torque moves, and I average 42MPG (gotten as much as 51 on a 250mi trip)! The comfort at the knees could be better along with the better noise canceling on the Bluetooth for phone calls, but other than that I love this car! Tons of space in the back row and a good size trunk.

Poor excuse for a car

by Dhand from Dallas, Tx | July 14, 2014

We bought the 2012 Passat SE TDI thinking great car long term investment, but after spending a fortune we still could keep it out of the shop. Worse car I have ever owned, service manager finally told us if it was his he would trade it in. He got the engine light off for us and that's exactly what we did. Great fuel mileage, it just had problems one right after another! DON'T buy a 2012 TDI!!!!! Have no idea about newer ones.

love the passat

by therapist from az | June 28, 2014

previous volvo owner. love the passat!!! great comfort and room. superb feeling when taking the highway. much better handling than asian competitors

Das German

by Corvette nut from St Louis | June 22, 2014

I have never been happier commuting to work than I have in my Passat. 32 MPG smooth quite ride huge I mean huge back seat that accomodates my hadicapped daughter. Best bang for the buck!!! 5cyl gets out and has plenty of power and has excellent sport mode shifter.

A Step Above at a Price Below

by Braisin from Los Angeles, CA | February 27, 2014

After only a couple short weeks, I have fallen in love with my Passat! We bought it used with 41K miles from Hertz, and it drives like it was straight off the production line. The exterior, although conservative, is going to stand the test of time and is very Audi-esque. It's slanted lights give it an agressive, powerful look. The hood gives a satisfying thump and locks without an extra push. The trunk is very large and the 40/60 split fold down is great for versatility. It has clean, masculine lines that are a welcome change from Volkswagen's recent rounded designs in previous generations--but that's my own opinion, and people tend to disagree. Either way, I get compliments and head turns CONSTANTLY! The inside is well appointed, simple, and German. It's utilitarian. I have the Premium 8 Sound System with LCD Touchscreen which is great, but can be a distraction when on the road. That's where the steering wheel controls come in handy. Do yourself a favor before you take a trip and figure out the controls on the wheel first, it'll be a much safer trip. The seats are comfortable, and room is great. The rear legroom is PHENOMENAL! Good mix of hard and soft-touch surfaces, metal accent, and overall flow. It just works. Sound is pretty good, but not at all a Fender which gets top reviews. Everything is damped, which is nice, BUT the little plastic hook for the sun visor broke off and the only way to fix it is glue. The overall quality of the interior is good, and great for the price point the Passat punches in at. I have the 2.5 I5, which is more torque-y and it makes that very clear. Although peppy in low end speeds, it tends to run out of breath when on the freeway. I average around 25MPG with mostly city, solid-footed driving that is mostly uphill. It's a solid engine and is built very well. For only a cylinder and .1L more, it gives a huge difference between my past Hondas and Toyotas. Overall, the car is FANTASTIC and really gives you a lot of German fun for a not so German price tag. It is also Made in the USA, Chattanooga, TN specifically. The mix of German engineering and American craftsmanship combine well in the Passat and I cannot wait to drive this car well into the 100,000+ mile club!

great car for this value!

by lazizjon555 from | January 26, 2014

This car has all features that you need and the quality dost it say for itself. If you compare this car with the brands like toyota, honda, hyundai this one beats all of them. The price is great and performance and quality lasts longer than any of these!!!!

after 14 months of ownership ~ 30K miles

by BotanyBob from Madison, WI | September 6, 2013

We drive the manual (stick shift) model and do a mix of country and city driving. The last tank, filled after 720 miles, we averaged almost 48 mpg, and it has been about that all summer. We had one tank go for 780 miles before the low fuel light came on. In addition, the car is very comfortable, handles beautiful, has plenty of power, and holds four people plus a large trunkful of supplies easily and with room to spare. The sound system is excellent, and the bluetooth features to connect a smart phone are really great. The quality of the hands-free audio when making a phone call via bluetooth are amazing. Cons: In Wisconsin, winter fuel mileage slips a bit. It would be nice for night driving to be able to dim the sound system display.

2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT -

by Zoots Alures from New England (CT) | August 19, 2013

I searched for six months for my next vehicle. Covering the New England area for my employer I wanted to ensure that I maximized the "Fun to Drive" & "Maximum fuel proficiency" factors in my next purchase. THIS PURCHASE WAS THE BEST DECISION THAT I'VE MADE IN A VERY LONG TIME - *The outside styling is very nice yet a bit introverted/understated *The inside styling is typical European i.e,. clean, logical, and intuitive. *The 140BHP/236Torque is very responsive but could stand a bump in HP/TQ to off-set the approaching 4,500 RPM Cliff of no-return When driving the throughways, bi-ways, and hi-ways of New England, I have no trouble averaging >53MPG (Even with spirited passing); Around town the worst MPG I averaged was 38MPG with extreme spirited driving - light to light.* * Reminding you that this car came equipped with a 6-speed manual For me, this car is the complete package!

Quiet Elegance

by Proud Passat TDI owner from Nashville, TN | August 8, 2013

I've owned this car since May ...without question the nicest, most value for the money vehicle I have ever owned ...the ride is superb ...handling, ditto. It truly is quiet elegance...why do I say that ....most people that are not in the know would go oh how nice a VW ...Passat ...yeah and diesel ..ho hum ....NOT ... I love this car ....far more than I ever thought I could or would ...German engineering thinks of every little detail ...buy one ...you will thank your lucky stars that you did...incredible mileage ....

2012 VW Passat

by John from Buffalo from Orchard Park NY | July 6, 2013

Bought this car lightly used from Budget Car Sales on Genesee Street Across from the Buffalo airport. 28,000 miles they put new tires on, NYS inspection, and detailed, car looks new and saved $5000 from what the dealers asked for the same 2012. And the MFG warranty is transferred 3 yrs/36,000 miles. Can't beat the service and the car- talk to Joe, he has Jetta's and Passat's I believe they will transport the vehicles.