2012 Volkswagen Passat

See Photos & Videos

Overall

A Step Above at a Price Below

by Braisin from Los Angeles, CA | February 27, 2014

After only a couple short weeks, I have fallen in love with my Passat! We bought it used with 41K miles from Hertz, and it drives like it was straight off the production line. The exterior, although conservative, is going to stand the test of time and is very Audi-esque. It's slanted lights give it an agressive, powerful look. The hood gives a satisfying thump and locks without an extra push. The trunk is very large and the 40/60 split fold down is great for versatility. It has clean, masculine lines that are a welcome change from Volkswagen's recent rounded designs in previous generations--but that's my own opinion, and people tend to disagree. Either way, I get compliments and head turns CONSTANTLY! The inside is well appointed, simple, and German. It's utilitarian. I have the Premium 8 Sound System with LCD Touchscreen which is great, but can be a distraction when on the road. That's where the steering wheel controls come in handy. Do yourself a favor before you take a trip and figure out the controls on the wheel first, it'll be a much safer trip. The seats are comfortable, and room is great. The rear legroom is PHENOMENAL! Good mix of hard and soft-touch surfaces, metal accent, and overall flow. It just works. Sound is pretty good, but not at all a Fender which gets top reviews. Everything is damped, which is nice, BUT the little plastic hook for the sun visor broke off and the only way to fix it is glue. The overall quality of the interior is good, and great for the price point the Passat punches in at. I have the 2.5 I5, which is more torque-y and it makes that very clear. Although peppy in low end speeds, it tends to run out of breath when on the freeway. I average around 25MPG with mostly city, solid-footed driving that is mostly uphill. It's a solid engine and is built very well. For only a cylinder and .1L more, it gives a huge difference between my past Hondas and Toyotas. Overall, the car is FANTASTIC and really gives you a lot of German fun for a not so German price tag. It is also Made in the USA, Chattanooga, TN specifically. The mix of German engineering and American craftsmanship combine well in the Passat and I cannot wait to drive this car well into the 100,000+ mile club!

great car for this value!

by lazizjon555 from | January 26, 2014

This car has all features that you need and the quality dost it say for itself. If you compare this car with the brands like toyota, honda, hyundai this one beats all of them. The price is great and performance and quality lasts longer than any of these!!!!

after 14 months of ownership ~ 30K miles

by BotanyBob from Madison, WI | September 6, 2013

We drive the manual (stick shift) model and do a mix of country and city driving. The last tank, filled after 720 miles, we averaged almost 48 mpg, and it has been about that all summer. We had one tank go for 780 miles before the low fuel light came on. In addition, the car is very comfortable, handles beautiful, has plenty of power, and holds four people plus a large trunkful of supplies easily and with room to spare. The sound system is excellent, and the bluetooth features to connect a smart phone are really great. The quality of the hands-free audio when making a phone call via bluetooth are amazing. Cons: In Wisconsin, winter fuel mileage slips a bit. It would be nice for night driving to be able to dim the sound system display.

2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT -

by Zoots Alures from New England (CT) | August 19, 2013

I searched for six months for my next vehicle. Covering the New England area for my employer I wanted to ensure that I maximized the "Fun to Drive" & "Maximum fuel proficiency" factors in my next purchase. THIS PURCHASE WAS THE BEST DECISION THAT I'VE MADE IN A VERY LONG TIME - *The outside styling is very nice yet a bit introverted/understated *The inside styling is typical European i.e,. clean, logical, and intuitive. *The 140BHP/236Torque is very responsive but could stand a bump in HP/TQ to off-set the approaching 4,500 RPM Cliff of no-return When driving the throughways, bi-ways, and hi-ways of New England, I have no trouble averaging >53MPG (Even with spirited passing); Around town the worst MPG I averaged was 38MPG with extreme spirited driving - light to light.* * Reminding you that this car came equipped with a 6-speed manual For me, this car is the complete package!

Quiet Elegance

by Proud Passat TDI owner from Nashville, TN | August 8, 2013

I've owned this car since May ...without question the nicest, most value for the money vehicle I have ever owned ...the ride is superb ...handling, ditto. It truly is quiet elegance...why do I say that ....most people that are not in the know would go oh how nice a VW ...Passat ...yeah and diesel ..ho hum ....NOT ... I love this car ....far more than I ever thought I could or would ...German engineering thinks of every little detail ...buy one ...you will thank your lucky stars that you did...incredible mileage ....

2012 VW Passat

by John from Buffalo from Orchard Park NY | July 6, 2013

Bought this car lightly used from Budget Car Sales on Genesee Street Across from the Buffalo airport. 28,000 miles they put new tires on, NYS inspection, and detailed, car looks new and saved $5000 from what the dealers asked for the same 2012. And the MFG warranty is transferred 3 yrs/36,000 miles. Can't beat the service and the car- talk to Joe, he has Jetta's and Passat's I believe they will transport the vehicles.

1st year review

by Lachlan from Seattle, wa | June 15, 2013

I've owned this car for almost a year and love this car. I have put 18,000 miles on it in combine city and highway driving. The car is a SE with the 2.5l engine. Pros: comfortable to ride in, great ergonomics (love how the radio and air conditioning controls not as confusing as ford my touch or Mazda menu driven systems for example). Overall I like the style of the car. As I do combined driving everyday I get about 27 to 28 mpg. Cons. I am not a big fan of the engine, it is ok but there are VW has engines with better gas mileage or performance (2.0l turbo for example). Would have preferred the TDI, but the higher cost of the engine, lack of availability in trim I liked and the financing option (60 months zero interest was not available for the TDI) offset the better gas mileage from a financial standpoint. Only issues I have had is the 12v port has blown a fuse twice(very touchy on what you use it for). And yes the car does get some rattles if going over rough surfaces. Overall impressions is I believe for the price it was a very good value and plan on keeping it for many years to come.

Like this diesel

by Like to drive from Evanston, IL, next to Chicago | March 6, 2013

We have the Passat TDI SE with a 6-speed manual. With the low-end torque of the diesel engine, a suspension that absorbs the bumps well while still providing good road feel, and the 110-inch wheelbase, I find it both nimble and comfortable to drive. The manual shift makes it even more fun to drive, especially on country and mountain roads. We average about 36 or 37 mpg overall in warm weather, a little less in winter. In steady driving without much stop and go, mpg quickly gets up to 43 or more; on a long trip we hit 50. Frankly I wish the car had better front-back weight balance like pricier German cars, but it's still far better to drive than other high-mpg cars I've driven. And for the mpg and sticker price, I'll take this over pricier cars. After a year and 16,000 miles, we've had no mechanical problems. I also like the understated classic look of the Passat; it doesn't need the flashy lines that dress up other sedans.

Passat or Not

by VW Oldtimer from Denver,Colorado | January 10, 2013

I have just over 4000 miles on my 2012 2.5 Auto SE.The only complaint so far is the blue jean transfer I'm getting on the beige leatherette seats. I've been to three detail shops and nobody has been able to remove the blue dye transfer. The car gets about 23mpg in town and it got about 33mpg on the one road trip I've taken. I have owned six VW's over the years and the build quality is better by leaps and bounds. I hope the new turbo engine planned for the Passat gives the car the boost in power it needs.

Car not comfortable, lousey gas milage

by Mck from Florida | November 6, 2012

Purchased the 2012, previously owned a Volvo. Passat has the most uncomfortable seats I have ever sat on. The navigation system does not work correctly sends you to the wrong place. Also not good on gas milage the Volvo was batter. I will be trading this in 2013.