2013 Volkswagen Passat

Starting MSRP

Overall

Great car Overall

by Florida Doc from Maryland | November 15, 2014

I have owned this Passat for about 2 years and it has been everything thing I expected. On a long haul I have been getting between 45 and 50 mpg. it is comfortable and I have nao had any major problems. The only gripe I have is with the navigation system. It really stinks. The maps appear to be out dated and, no matter what I do, the nav system wants to take the long way around, I always keep a Garmin GPS in the vehicle and I almost always use it.

Many Flaws

by PirouzK from Falls Church, Virginia | October 15, 2014

Good performance, Good looking car Very bad electronic systems. ** Touch screen Navigation is useless since it is very slow responding. ** Rear camera comes on after you have already taken off. One major mechanical problem that all the Passat have is the brake systems. After being in the shop for two times the car still vibrates when I step on the brake at high speed. I have talked to other Passat owners (2013-2014) and they have the same problem. Small and uncomfortable driver seat especially in long distance driving. I really liked this car before I realize all the flaws, but now am looking for something else next year when my lease is up.

Early review of 2013 Passat S

by JMCIII from Vermont | August 17, 2014

It's only been a few weeks, so I have no idea about reliability, but in general I'm please with my purchase. I'm still amazed (and wondering) how VW managed to allow so much room both inside the car itself, as well as the HUGE trunk. But needless to say, it's a blessing. I've found the front seats both comfortable and easily adjustable. The control panel is both well laid out and easily understood (though I am still trying to master all the information that you can get from the center menus). Took me a bit to find the owners manual - I've never seen a separate shelf hidden away above the glove box. The automatic transmission shift flawlessly (and I bought the car with 45,000 miles on it), and I enjoy the speed gear for getting the car into traffic when necessary, as the 2.5 5 cylinder engine isn't a speed demon - but for regular driving its fine. The car cruises so smoothly that it's easy to exceed the speed limit unless you pay attention. LOVE the Bluetooth. Car is generally quiet, though some road noise does make its way inside. My only real complaint thus far is, I wish it got better gas mileage (I came from a Toyota Corolla). Other than that, it's been everything I could ask for. Time will tell regarding its reliability.

Still feeling it out!!!

by Dorothea from Baltinore, Maryland | July 21, 2014

I had a Volkswagen Jetta and I decided go to a mid-size sedan, so I purchased a 2013 Passat. I have to say I like the drive, but I miss my Jetta. My Jetta although it was more upgrade and to me drove better. I hope that I can fall in love with my Passat as well. I only had it for a week and it has not giving me that I love this car feeling yet. I should have reconsidered selling my Jetta.

A quality car with good value.

by Kansas from KCMO | July 1, 2014

I rent cars frequently and after having been issued my first PASSAT in May, 2012, I always reqeust one when i rent a full size car, as this car is defined by car rental agencies. Over the last couple of years i have probably rented at least 20 Passats including two for vacations i took. I cannot give an opinion on reliabiity because they are rentals. However, I feel they deliver a quality ride, they are relatively quiet although there is pronounced road noise on rougher pavements. I am six two at about 225#, and i have ample leg and head room. I have some back issues, so i am able to find a comfortable position with the power seat, changing it as needed. I think this car has a great profile, even on the lower priced models. The sound system is pretty good, the radio is a little complicated when it comes to changing sound, balance - seems to be a lot of steps on the screen. a simple knob would be much better. My MPGs have varied, but have hit as high as 36.3 on a straight shot from KCMO to Denver. Usually in the 28-32 range though. AC is adequate, heat works great. Interior space is surprisingly large, and the leatherette interior is reasonably comfortable. The truck is huge. I am considering purchasing a certified used one as they are very competively priced and an excepetional value for the money. I have never drivien the diesel, so do not know anything about it. My one complaint is that VW needs to push the HP up. The 2.0T that is used in the CC is much more responsive. But all in all, i feel this is a great vehicle, great family sedan and offers much value for the money. I know the VWs can be costly to repair, so if i purchase one i will go the certified route and may purchase additional coverage if available.

2013 SEL TDI

by NickS from Lebanon OH | May 19, 2014

Have only had it 2 weeks, but I drive a lot and have already put about 1500 miles on it. Bought it used with 16,500 miles but it actually appears and feels like a new car. No issues or problems so far, nor anything yet that suggests frustrations down the road. Highway miles with some urban mix is yielding 42 mpg plus. Some people fuss over the tire noise, but I can't say it's a deterrent yet - not great, not bad. The radio sound quality may be the biggest distraction at this point when played softly but sounds pretty good when turned up to a higher volume. I have owned previous gen Passats before and I suspect they were of more solid construction, but the price reflected it. So it seems to be a pretty fair balance of value vs cost at this point.

Passatt is unrelaible

by jackputz from Minnesota | April 19, 2014

Have had my 2013 Passatt tdi for 18 months, about 45000 miles on it. Absolutely loved the car until the weather hit <15 degrees. The diesel system does not work well in cold climates, this is NOT A MYTH! I have three co-workers who have experienced the same Diesel system issues. I have had the car in the dealer shop four times in the past four months. Twice for the diesel issue (Ad Blue system), once for a blown turbo (in the shop for 15 days), got it back 8 days ago, and then two days later for a cracked seal. It has been at the dealer for the past 5 days, with no estimation as to when it will be ready. To top it off, I asked for loaner since I have basically been without a car for three weeks. They said yes, for $25 per day. Don't you think that with all of my issues that they would have made on available for free? This is my first and last experience with Volkswagon!

Best in class for shure

by Deutche from Chicago, IL | April 13, 2014

If you compare this car with any of its competitors theres no way you wont pick this one. Heres my short story. Went out on market to buy sedan. Bought new 2012Honda Accord. Sooo loud and shaking every time you stop for trafic lights.Dealer said no counterbalance valves in this type of honda engine so thats why. He was right i tested new one...same thing. Thrash. I trade in Honda after 6 months for Mazda 6 thinking its Mazda but the larges family sedan they make so gotta be confy and fast. That was the worst car i ever drove and i have had Nissan Vers few years ago.Traded it in for a new 2013 Nissan altima.Had it for 4 months.That junk had 4 open factory recalls in 4 months. I ve decidet my budget should go a bit up if a want a nice family sedan and went to test drive vw Passat. And me and my wife adore it. It has won a numerous awards in us check it your self. If you go for a diesel you ll get 45 mpg...man...With the 2.5 liter i get 32 mpg.

Comfort Problems 2013 Passat SE

by docudan from Altadena, CA | February 17, 2014

This is my third Passat. And I must say that handling, and all of the typical features one comes to expect from Volkswagen, are just great. The value for the money -- one of the leaders in my view. However, I'm likely going to look for another vehicle. The seat is so uncomfortable after an hour-and-a-half, that I cannot stand it. I have tried emptying my pockets, putting the seat in every imaginable position, but nothing makes the pain that I feel in my legs, seat area, and my back. It is so bad that I'm willing to take the loss on the car. Before I do, though, I will try a seat support device, like gel seat. Having now read countless other reviews with the same complaint makes me doubt the outcome. If considering a Passat, I would highly recommend a three hour test drive. I'm actually having lasting pain as a result. That is, it takes me a few days to recover. The sad part is, as I suggested at the top, this is my third Passat. Volkswagen generally does everything pretty right. I've been quite loyal to VW, but now -- probably heading an entirely different direction. While the comfort beyond an hour-or-so is bad, the drivability remains just wonderful!!! Everything else is terrific. Pain is pain though, and I just don't know that I'll be able to get around it.

Nicely made domestic competitor

by Pep & Comfort from Rochester NY | January 30, 2014

Very impressed with the quality, performance, and gas mileage of this intermediate sized vehicle. Domestic production of this formerly German vehicle has not suffered from what is normally referred to as "trans-oceanic mediocrity"