2013 Volkswagen Passat

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Passatt is unrelaible

by jackputz from Minnesota | April 19, 2014

Have had my 2013 Passatt tdi for 18 months, about 45000 miles on it. Absolutely loved the car until the weather hit <15 degrees. The diesel system does not work well in cold climates, this is NOT A MYTH! I have three co-workers who have experienced the same Diesel system issues. I have had the car in the dealer shop four times in the past four months. Twice for the diesel issue (Ad Blue system), once for a blown turbo (in the shop for 15 days), got it back 8 days ago, and then two days later for a cracked seal. It has been at the dealer for the past 5 days, with no estimation as to when it will be ready. To top it off, I asked for loaner since I have basically been without a car for three weeks. They said yes, for $25 per day. Don't you think that with all of my issues that they would have made on available for free? This is my first and last experience with Volkswagon!

Best in class for shure

by Deutche from Chicago, IL | April 13, 2014

If you compare this car with any of its competitors theres no way you wont pick this one. Heres my short story. Went out on market to buy sedan. Bought new 2012Honda Accord. Sooo loud and shaking every time you stop for trafic lights.Dealer said no counterbalance valves in this type of honda engine so thats why. He was right i tested new one...same thing. Thrash. I trade in Honda after 6 months for Mazda 6 thinking its Mazda but the larges family sedan they make so gotta be confy and fast. That was the worst car i ever drove and i have had Nissan Vers few years ago.Traded it in for a new 2013 Nissan altima.Had it for 4 months.That junk had 4 open factory recalls in 4 months. I ve decidet my budget should go a bit up if a want a nice family sedan and went to test drive vw Passat. And me and my wife adore it. It has won a numerous awards in us check it your self. If you go for a diesel you ll get 45 mpg...man...With the 2.5 liter i get 32 mpg.

Comfort Problems 2013 Passat SE

by docudan from Altadena, CA | February 17, 2014

This is my third Passat. And I must say that handling, and all of the typical features one comes to expect from Volkswagen, are just great. The value for the money -- one of the leaders in my view. However, I'm likely going to look for another vehicle. The seat is so uncomfortable after an hour-and-a-half, that I cannot stand it. I have tried emptying my pockets, putting the seat in every imaginable position, but nothing makes the pain that I feel in my legs, seat area, and my back. It is so bad that I'm willing to take the loss on the car. Before I do, though, I will try a seat support device, like gel seat. Having now read countless other reviews with the same complaint makes me doubt the outcome. If considering a Passat, I would highly recommend a three hour test drive. I'm actually having lasting pain as a result. That is, it takes me a few days to recover. The sad part is, as I suggested at the top, this is my third Passat. Volkswagen generally does everything pretty right. I've been quite loyal to VW, but now -- probably heading an entirely different direction. While the comfort beyond an hour-or-so is bad, the drivability remains just wonderful!!! Everything else is terrific. Pain is pain though, and I just don't know that I'll be able to get around it.

Nicely made domestic competitor

by Pep & Comfort from Rochester NY | January 30, 2014

Very impressed with the quality, performance, and gas mileage of this intermediate sized vehicle. Domestic production of this formerly German vehicle has not suffered from what is normally referred to as "trans-oceanic mediocrity"

Liked it so much, we bought another one.

by Family of 5 from Louisville, KY | January 25, 2014

I bought my first new model Passat last year. It is a 2012 SE. I bought it for my wife for Christmas. It has the gas 2.5L motor. I was drawn to the model initially by the cavernous interior and the sleek euro styling. After 32k miles, we have really became fans of this model. It provides plenty of room for our family of 5 (which includes my 15yo Son who is 6ft3in and weighs 270lbs). He rides comfortable in the super spacious back seat with his brother and sister, and both front seats all the way back. The multi function 8 speaker radio is intuitive and sounds better than the Harmon Kardon system that was in my 5-series BMW. Performance is adequate. The 2.5L motor, coupled with the 6 speed automatic transmission provides enough power for any daily driving need and the occasional passing maneuver. The big suprise for me in this combination was the gas mileage....I don't necessarily drive conservatively and neither does my wife, but we still average between 28 and 32 MPG in this relatively large sedan. We liked the car so much, that I just bought an new 2013 SE 2.5. Handling is crisp for a front drive car of this size with pretty good grip from the stock tires. It enters turns well and holds pretty level when pushed a little in the corners. The 2012 SE model features climate control, which was not available on the 2013 model that I purchased. Not necessarily a deal breaker, but seamingly a step backwards for the SE model. A bit of an offset is the addition of rear vents for the back seat occupants in 2013 SE model. This makes sense, as the large interior of the car is cooled much faster on hot July days as result. The cons for the car are the road noise and poorly designed wind screen/diffuser on the moonroof. The road noise, while not horrible...is present certainly on less than smooth road surfaces. Poor placement of the Bluetooth microphone seem to make it pronounced to callers on the other end of the phone. Replacing the stock tires with better quality touring rubber will likely help to reduce the amount of road noise considerably. If you are planning on purchasing a model with the moonroof option, go ahead and pony up the extra $200 for the fitted wind deflector. The stock pop up wind diffuser utilizes a low cost screen material to eliminate wind buffeting by diffusing it. The result is an intense hissing wind noise that renders the the open moonroof pretty much useless. Adding the deflector rectifies this, but it does interrupt the sleek flowing lines of the car in my opinion. Overall, if you are seeking a stylish, fuel efficient, and roomy sedan...I recommend checking out the Passat. It is great at what it is designed to do. Transport up to 5 adults in relative comfort and safety from one point to the other with a flair of euro style while getting compact car fuel mileage. With the transition in 2014 to the new 1.8L turbo motor, you should be able to find some great deals on the outgoing 2.5L models. Happy hunting!

Great for the money

by DaveS from Phillipsburg, nj | January 12, 2014

I had to replace my commuting car ('10 Outback Sport). Wanted a sedan to have more room for the family and friends. Test drove every mid size on the market and for the money the Passat exceeded my expectations. Standard features are perfect, and it is great for my 100mile round trip daily commute. blue tooth works perfectly fine. Not a sporty or agile car, but that is not what it is designed to be, a few more hp in exchange for a few mpg would be nice thought.

Worse Test Drive Ever

by Farhan from Toronto | January 2, 2014

So I went to this VW Dealership in Scarborough, I am looking for a car for my wife. So any ways, First thing i do when i get in the car i pair my phone with bluetooth so i can test a call while driving. So i get on the road and get on the road i call my dad and he says to me that i sound like i'm very far away and echos. Also he could hear the road noise with it. No worries, so i take the car on the highway and then make another phone call, this time i had to crank the volume on the speaker all the way before i could hear and understand him. While i was talking the bluetooth disconnects and the phone is still on but no sound is coming through the speakers. I had to take the blackberry out of the sleeve and continue to have conversation. in my opinion this is the worse test drive i had in the past month. I test drove, Acura, Honda, Nissan and even Ford. But this car is nothing but trouble stay away from it. In my opinion the only two cars that i liked so far for my wife is the Honda and Ford. I can't believe For is leaving VW behind in quality and interior designing. This car is nothing but boring. Would not recommend to any body.

Better cars out there for the price

by AJBCARS from Albany, NY | December 18, 2013

I have owned MB, BMW, Audi, Honda and a Ford truck. I test drove the new Passat and I must say it was a waste of time. Poor performance, interior looked cheap and the price was more than I thought the car was worth. I currently own a Passat W8 and a Touareg and must admit, I will be buying a Lexus after all the test drives.

good but not great

by new car owner from new jersey | December 17, 2013

Love my new pre-owned Volkswagen Passat SEL. It is stylish, affordable and comfortable. It is fully loaded with the premium packaging and all the bells and whistles. Roomy interior and simple design provide easy access and modern feel. The larger 3.6l engine is nice but the gas mileage is less than adequate. The ride is a bit stiff during takeoff and can be somewhat jumpy. I would keep all the options and get the diesel if the price at the pump is a priority. Otherwise it is a good reliable car.

Beautiful. I love it!

by CDub from Mountville, PA | November 10, 2013

I was able to buy this car lightly used (7,000) miles through a dealer that got it at an auction. I got a fantastic deal, and the car is in great shape. She's a TDL SEL, and the trim level is fantastic. The Turbo Diesel is smooth and powerful, not like the '81 and '91 diesel Jettas I owned long ago. The seats are very comfortable, and she's plenty roomy. The trunk is gigantic. The radio/nav/bluetooth all works and sounds great. On my first tank, I got 36 mpg, and I think my second will be higher. I adore this car so far.