2014 Volkswagen Passat

Starting MSRP

Overall

Wonderful

by Dr Larry from Ft. Lauderdale, Fl | June 27, 2015

I am really happy with my new car. It came with very low mileage and in perfect condition and the price was exceptional. I love driving this car and I hope to have it a very long time. It has a very sophisticated look and it is very roomy.

Disappointed

by hondalover from Minnesota | March 30, 2015

No new car owner should have to sit in a dealership for 2 hours after work with a car that only has 10,000 miles on it only to find out if you put any other windshield washer fluid OTHER than the blue it will cause sensor to stay on showing its low. German engineering has cost me thousands of dollars and hours I can never get back. Do yourself a favor and but a Honda or Toyota

DSG 2.0 TDI SE 18" wheels

by MonkeyesMan from Omaha, NE | March 19, 2015

Purchased in Aug 2014. We are so happy with the TDI Passat, my wife is now looking at the TDI Jetta and/or Beetle for her next car. Pros: -Excellent Fuel Economy - 50+ (65mph) on flat highway and 39 city -Cavernous interior -DSG Transmission -Fun to drive (endless torque) -2.0L Diesel Engine -Connects and works flawlessly with my iPhone -Safety features -No Navigation (yes, this is a pro because built-in NAVs are a pain and expensive to keep up to date. I use my iPhone as my GPS which is always update to date with no or minimal cost) Cons: -Would like to suspension to be a little tighter around corners -Needs more baffles in fuel tank (can hear fuel sloshing around when coming to a stop) -Sound system could be better (speakers)

Great car

by Bill from SC | March 15, 2015

I've had a 2014 v6 SEL for a year and a half. The car drives fantastic and has been incredibly reliable. I opted for the V6 because it's so smooth and has plenty of oomph! Especially when manually shifting the DSG transmission. I came out if a BMW 535 and I admit I missed quite a few of the bells and whistles the BMW had, but the VW is still a great car. I would absolutely buy this car again but only if they have following options available: Xeon headlights, parking sensors, side assist and adaptive cruise control. It would also be nice if they improve the resposivenes of the radio touchscreen. It's pretty darn slow.

Retiree Road Trippers and the Passat TDI

by Ann from Hartford, CT | March 4, 2015

It’s been a year since we purchased our 2014 VW Passat TDI. The good: We were in need of reliable transportation and it is. We bought it for the diesel option quoted as providing just under 800 miles per tank full and the styling. We are still getting tank mileage in the 700's. The passenger seat is a bit smaller than the driver seat and I deal with the comfort level. (I am not a fan of hard leather seats.) The not so good: (1) as a Mom, on day 1, I vocalized that the first thing that will eventually break on this car is the exterior window adjustment inside the driver's door window - it’s a joystick with a nob. If you're right handed you need to reach over to adjust it - it's not easy. A directed rocker switch would be much better and could be used with the left hand. (2) the fact that the interior car temperature is not actually selectable and displayable is a problem. We'd like to be able to select a particular temperature and know what it is. It's all guess work! (3) the fact that while the driver's seat positioning is electric, the passenger seat is adjusted by pump action. This is a poor choice to save money for the price of this car. (4) while the trunk is easily opened and lighted (acting as a beacon if you forget where you've parked your car at a concert) the lift arms on that truck impede you from using the entire truck space (especially when traveling) and you lose more than a foot square of space on each side of the trunk. This was poor design. (5) lastly, I fall into this car --- a lot. It has a high lip - 15 inches from the ground (2 inches higher than my Camry at 13 inches from the ground) and my foot gets caught on that lip and I catch myself by gripping the steering wheel. I need to consciously make the effort to think about getting into this car and doing it gracefully. (We never see current car commercials of folks getting in and out of cars these days - they' re either already inside or outside of the car.) Our Passat TDI just had it's 20,000 checkup and all is well. We recently returned from a New England to Florida and back road trip and the car performed well with minimal gas stops.

Not below 20F

by Minnesota Winter from St Paul, MN | March 1, 2015

Owned 2014 TDI Passat SE for 16 months. Great mpg in summer and ok in Minnesota winter...the big drop in gasoline prices took the shine off of the great mpg though. Great cargo capacity and can carry 1000lbs--good for a 4 cyl. Like the looks. Great room in back seat for 2 people and a kid. its a dog in Drive gear but Sport gear takes care of that and then some! The Automatic DSG manual shifting option is intresting but dont think many will use it...nice to have. BUT: has way too many, scary, cold weather problems. Got through first winter with only the ADBLUE solution freezing solid..did not turn off the key so did not get stranded--software fix seems to have done the trick. Then recall for the Turbo failures caused by lack of oil and an aggressive warm-up program in cold weather---software fix and 10 year/120,000 mile warrenty extension. Then cranked over but would not start at -25F...found a 380CCA battery under the hood...amazing! I don't think that they even sell batteries in Minnesota under 600CCA. If your winters get below 20F buy this with eyes wide open---diesel is not for people who ignore the oil warning light! :) Like the open rims but packed snow gets in there too easily and throws off the balance. Rear window defroster is under powered. Also kind of surprised that my 1998 Park Ave. had a few better features with radio and climate control. Had a problem hitting the accelerator when pressing the brake down too far so i watch where i keep my foot---first time in 10 cars i had this problem. Drivers seat not the greatest for wide shouldered people..seen worse. Dealership and VW have been great about all of the problems...so far anyways...

NoGoTurbo

by NoGoTurbo from Iowa | February 22, 2015

New 2014 Passat TDI SEL. Turbo went out at 12,650 miles and is currently in the shop. I was provided a loaner. After looking online I notice this is a common issue with the Passat. I feel VW should extend my warranty. Several consumers report this as happening more than once with under 50,000 miles. Frustrated.

Long Term Rental

by Random Anonymous Blackmail from Rochester MN | February 20, 2015

I had a 2014 VW Passat Wolfsburg edition for a few thousand miles, while my Jeep was in the shop. The Passat has all the design and styling cues of a bar of soap. It didn't help that the one I drove was white, but as it will never win a beauty pageant, it will also not turn you off. The one thing that does bother me is how much it resembles a Jetta. VW could have called the Jetta XL instead of splitting the Passat into regular and CC models. Overall I like the look of the car, I prefer subtle. Even on the cheaper version I drove the interior was decent. The drivers seat kept my backside happy for 7 hours in one particular trip, which is uncommon for ANY car. The rear seat is very spacious and oddly enough, the seats are comfortable there also. The technology although intuitive seemed dated and in need of a refresh, I guess that upgrade comes with the CC model. My two complaints regarding the drivers position were the steering wheel and its lack of tilt. Yes it had it, but I would have preferred to come down more toward my lap. The other was the power mirror controls. I did not like the placement and the control stick felt like it was going to snap off when I touched it. The ride and handling were smooth, there was ample power out of the hole and passing. Even with out cruise set, inconsistent speeds, and passing I was getting right in the ball park of what VW MPG estimates were stating. There were a few times at lower speeds that the engine had an unfavorable sound. It never affected the response but just a sour note when pressing on the pedal made me cringe. Over all, I like this vehicle a lot. I would consider one as my next purchase but I really need AWD or 4 WD and the 3.6L version offers nothing more than horsepower.

Great German Engineering

by Enjoys Nice Cars from Ohio | January 23, 2015

My past two cars were an Audi and a Mercedes. I thought I'd buy another one of those, but then i drove the Passat. I purchased a 2104 Passat SE, and it is at least as good as the Audi and Mercedes for half the price. In fact, it drives and feels exactly the same as my last Audi and has many of the same components as the Audi. The 1.8L turbo four cylinder has plenty of power, and it is actually stronger and better fuel economy than the older Passat five cylinder. The six speed transmission shifts smoothly. I enjoy using the "S" driving mode around town for a quicker feel. I'm very particular about my cars, and I haven't found anything I don't like about this car.

air bag terrible design

by broke now from chicago | January 15, 2015

avoid this vehicle if you live in the real world. twice in 10k my passenger seat has popped up an error code claiming electrolytes were splilled into the seat. first time was fixed by manufacturer second time im SOL. they want 1500!!!! to repair it, which i cannot afford nor am i willing to fork out the money just to have it happend 5k later. This is a company that wont admit they have a faulty design. I dont believe that in 2013 nor in any year spilling anything on any kind of seat should cause this huge of a problem Terrible design