2009 Volkswagen Rabbit

2009 Volkswagen Rabbit

Available in 2 styles:  2009 Volkswagen Rabbit 2dr Hatchback shown

See Photos & Videos

Overall

great point A to point B car.

by Tommy from Roswell New Mexico | August 12, 2012

Being 6 foot 10 it is hard to find a car with a lot of headroom but when I sat in this car it was perfect . the drive to work is awesome in this car because it has a lot pickup which is unexpected. the handling the curves is also a major pro. at 78000 the only thing i had change was a headlight. it is very easy to get my dogs in out of this car compared to my 1996 nissan pathfinder. my only complaint is the gas milage is about 26 highway and 22 city which is still good but it could be better.

a very good commuter car

by dima ru from minneapolis | March 13, 2012

I have have the car since 12k miles on it; it has 47k right now. I do like it, 5 cylinder 2.5L motor pulls well but does get a bit thirsty during city driving. I get about 29-30mpg with 30/70 ratio. I go easy during my commute to save on gas. The car had some minor interior part issues: hatch plastic flap cracked. The only 2 things that bug me is the absence of an elbow rest and the need for 7qts of synthetic oil to refill the motor. CRAZY. Rabbit can be fun, good commuter, has some great support for DIYers. PS elbow rest is not that big of an issue, i suppose i can get one online.

Love my new VW

by I have no "nickname" from Minneapolis, MN | July 13, 2011

I'm very happy with my VW Rabbit. It is a 2009 manual five speed that I bought used in May of 2011. It is a fun car to drive. I have been pleased in every way with this used VW.

Funnest Car I've Ever Driven

by Rabbit Owner from Washington, D.C. | June 24, 2011

The Rabbit is a well built car that's fun to drive. Volkswagen really paid attention to detail w/o over complicating anything. The design is sleek and minimalist, yet very comfortable and fun. I highly recommend owning a rabbit.

reliable but expensive to gas up

by joe shmoe from bay area,ca | May 31, 2011

Small car but its always thirsty for gas. The mileage is horrible even when it was brand new. I cant understand why its so small but has such poor gas mileage. The mileage is less then 18 miles per gallon. I had a nissan altima which was a midsize and it did extremley well on gas in comparison to the vw and nissan was much larger, go figure.

Bad Choice

by Pete from Chicago | April 5, 2011

Poor fuel economy for such a small car, around 18/20mpg combined. Suspension is very noisy, specially when cold, if you type "rabbit suspension noise" on google, there are hundreds of complains, yet VW does not seem to care. The chassis seems solid, but the motor and suspension are not very reliable.

WOW!! what a car

by TV from wantagh | December 26, 2009

Always had a vw,always will.Top notch quality.Great ride on long trips,great seats,quiet,stable,and 5 star crash rating too.Dependibility has been excellent from day one.Interior quality is better than my 2008 mercedes 300 sport.Other car companies should take notice.VW,keep them coming!!

Well pleased

by Quicklikeabunny from Orange county California | December 11, 2008

The rabbit 2 door is a great little car. Though with the wide opening doors and large windows it doesn't seem small. The car is solid and the ride an optimum mix of sportiness and comfort. I love the 6 speed trans, that has two settings and can also be shifted sequentially(tap up or tap down). Handling is nimble and sure footed. At 90 m.p.h. it feels like your only going 60. The stereo is excellent. I compared everything in the segment and the rabbit wins in every category except fuel economy. I had about 30 minutes of buyers remorse, between the time I paid cash for the car and the time it took to take possession. Since it's been nothing but Owners Pride.

hop to it

by zen driver from philly, pa | December 9, 2008

great car. mileage could be better but make it up by driving less. high quality components with many standard features

Fun, Sporty, Good Features, Subpar Fuel Economy

by dave from Pennsylvania | July 1, 2008

I tested many small cars, and since my previous car was a 2000 VW Golf that I had a very good experience with, I stayed with VW. I bought the the 4 door Manual with moonroof and alloy wheels. The acceleration and handling make the car feel like a small sports car. It really takes off like a rabbit! It is an absolute pleasure to drive on winding roads. You can really feel the acceleration in first and second and even fifth, though I feel like the car should be able to get more out of second gear (it's a quick transition from 2 to 3.) The tradeoff for the power is fuel economy. I am getting about 18 mpg in the city and 26 on the highway. 90% of my driving is on steep city hills with lots of stop signs, and I rarely leave 2nd gear on my daily commute (aside from coasting down hills). There is plenty of room for improvement, but I still expected at least 20 mpg. The Interior is rich and looks like the inside of an Audi or another higher end car. No Cheap plastic parts. The seats are comfortable and the handling is smooth on long drives. The inclusion of an auxiliary input for an MP3 player is nice, but test putting an input jack in there before you buy. Mine doesn't go in completely and slips out occasionally while I'm driving. I'm using the standard cable that is compatible with just about every car, but perhaps VW has its own input cable.

Featured Services for this Volkswagen Rabbit