Volkswagen's answer to the Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV4, the Tiguan mixes on-road sport with what VW describes as more off-road ability than you'd get from most of its competitors.
The Tiguan's starting price is a bit higher than most of its competitors, but Volkswagens have always cost a bit extra — note the Jetta and Passat sedans, for example. In fact, options ranging from dual-zone Climatronic air conditioning to heated leather seats and a navigation system could push a well-equipped Tiguan to compete with compact luxury SUVs like the Acura RDX and Land Rover LR2. Trim levels include S, SE and SEL.
New for 2010
All models get a revised instrument cluster, and there's an optional touch-screen radio.
Put simply, the Tiguan looks like a smaller version of VW's Touareg 2 midsize SUV until you step around back, where it looks like the rear end of a Golf compact hatchback. Unlike the Touareg line, which is exceptionally heavy — to the detriment of performance and gas mileage — the Tiguan's weight is more in line with its car-based competitors.
- Standard 16-inch wheels
- Standard wheel locks
- Standard rear spoiler
- Standard chrome grille and exhaust tip
Being a Volkswagen, the Tiguan has a well-designed interior with high-quality materials.
- Standard 60/40-split backseat with fore/aft and backrest-tilt adjustments
- Optional panoramic moonroof
- Optional backup camera
- Optional touch-screen navigation system and a 30GB hard drive for music storage
Under the Hood
The Tiguan comes standard with a 200-horsepower, turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder used in many other VW and Audi models.
The transmission choices are a six-speed manual or a six-speed automatic. Front- and 4Motion all-wheel-drive models are available.
- Standard six airbags, including side-impact airbags for the front seats and side curtain airbags for both rows
- Standard electronic stability system and traction control
- Optional rear-seat side-impact airbags
- Standard all-disc antilock brakes
Cars.com Expert Reviews
|Joe Wiesenfelder||Cars.com National||December 30, 2009|
|Cars.com Staff||Cars.com National||October 15, 2009|
People Who Viewed This Car Also Viewed
Closest Dealers Listing this Car
Featured Services for the Volkswagen Tiguan
- Sell your current car quickly and easily on Cars.com.