2012 Volkswagen Tiguan

Available in 7 styles:  2012 Volkswagen Tiguan 4dr AWD 4MOTION shown

Overall

Nice SUV for the money

by First time vw buyer from Aurora, CO | May 30, 2014

Having driven every 2014 compact SUV (other than the CRV and the Hyundai's), we found the 2014 Tiguan to be the most sporty feeling, but with an unacceptable price in the mid-30's. We decided to buy used, finding that loaded SEL 4motions were in the mid to low 20's, and with low miles. As the mechanical bits have remained essentially unchanged over the years, the 2012's drive identically. We bought a lightly used SEL 4motion with 20k miles on it, and in the last two months it's proven to be a fun and reliable vehicle, if a bit noisy on the freeway due to the 19" tires (if you want a quiet, soft ride, go with a smaller wheel/tire combo). The seats are exceptionally comfortable, and the stereo solid. It's a nice road car.- a complaint I've been unable to address is the wonky navigation system, which does not appear to be designed for Denver street names. We will address this with a vw dealer as we find it cannot find many familiar street addresses. Overall, the tiguan has proven to be reliable, sporty, and fun to drive- we have found it to be an excellent used value.

Best choice all around vehicle

by VW all the way from Denver, CO | September 20, 2013

This is a excellent car for the price. I've logged over 40k miles and having driven it twice from Denver to Chicago. Have had no issues other than a occasional low level rough idle from the engine. This car gets great gas mileage, looks good, has a ton of cargo space and is very responsive. Handles the mountain passes in Colorado with ease and has enough clearance for any forest service road you can find. I opted for the S model with the stick and front wheel drive. AWD would be better but it's only available with a automatic.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Best Small SUV for the Money

by ripsaw from Orlando, FL | December 21, 2012

I've often heard that Subaru owners are Subaru owners for life. Not in this case. As Subaru owners, we expected our next car to be a Subaru Forester. After test driving the Forester, my wife and I were both disappointed. The car was sluggish at best. Living in a busy city, we need to have enough confidence in the car that we know we can merge into freeway traffic. The Subaru simply didn't cut it. Our reaction was "under powered and over priced." We did our homework, test drove the competition, and settled on a Volkswagen Tiguan. It's roomy and comfortable, has a solid feel and ride, and it has plenty of zip. We're extremely happy with the Tiguan and have already recommended it to friends and family.

WOW

by DanInRoanoke from Roanoke, Va | December 20, 2012

Great accelleration. Great styling. My wife is 4'10" - short - and the seats fit her. Doesn't get tired. Be careful, though. She want's to drive MY car. Everyone at work fell in love with it. Feel the road like a sports car. Mileage 23 in town, 27/28 on long hauls. I love the rear camera. Never thought I would. I put the back seats dodown and can carry almost anything - at least much more than the sedan (which I loved).

Best small SUV for money and Value

by Chuck from Upstate New York | August 8, 2012

The 2012 VW Tiguan is the best value in its class. To have the solid German engineering for the same price as a Toyota Rav4 or Honda CRV.. the best bet is on the Tiguan. The engine provides all the power necesary to climb long hills and the automatic transmission allows for engine breaking on those long down hills, for saving the brakes. The comfort of the ride is beyond comparison with any other car in its class. I have owned other Japanese imports in the class, and they were quaility cars. But after driving and owning the VW Tiguin, there is no comparison of ride, comfort or value.

Feels like a more expensive car

by Tiguanhead from Brooklyn, NY | January 23, 2012

I had read that the styling and details of this car were likable. When I saw it in person, I was expecting high quality but was surprised to find that it exceeded my expectations. It's fun to drive, I feel safe in it, and I get good mileage. I love it.

Happy Camper!

by New2VW from Elmira, NY | January 23, 2012

My 2012 VW Tiguan SEL is my very first AWD vehicle and VW for that matter and they will certainly NOT be my last. I was in the market for a new '12 Audi Q5 (too harsh a ride), '12 Volvo XC60 (perfect, but hard to find - shortage), '12 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit (#1 choice, but my neighbor has one and I want to keep the peace in the neighborhood), a '12 Honda CR-V (gorgeous, but the introduction of this gem was delayed due to weather disasters in Japan and I needed a new car ASAP) and a '12 Dodge Durango (the roomiest of all and too big for me - a 7-8 seater - ideal for large families). The only downside to buying my new VW SUV/crossover is the price of a completely loaded SEL (top-of-the-line trim edition) model: Roughly $40,000.00 with a few accessories. Granted, I would have paid more for an Audi or Volvo, but the near 40 grand Tiguan seems steep for a VW. Well, I must admit, it is worth it, as I love this easy to drive wonder! The Tiguan is surprisingly roomy, nibble, elegant (nearly Audi-like inside), nice riding (like the Jeep GC and Dodge Durango), loaded with safety features (not as many key items as the Volvo, but impressive nevertheless), cute (like the extremely attractive '12 Honda CR-V EX-L) and spirited on both back roads and highways (like the JGC HEMI V8, Durango Pentastar V6 and turbo charged XC60 I test drove and fell madly in love with). The panoramic roof on the SEL is a wonderful feature for sun lovers and fans of plenty of fresh air. This feature found on far costlier SUVs and crossovers I considered is a "must have" item, especially when trying to justify the price of this smaller than many loaded vehicles we initially had opted for. There is nothing we do not like about the 2012 SEL. I hope resale value is good. There are other trim levels, but I am enjoying the bells and whistles of the top model Tiguan. Quality is 1st rate, no reliability issues thus far.

Found a VW Tiguan on the way to a CR-V

by scorsone from New Orleans | December 23, 2011

I happened upon a VW Tiguan when about to purchase a Honda CR-V. I love Hondas and have purchased 6 models in the past - so no knock on Honda. But for not much more in price, the VW Tiguan is a class above in quality build inside and out. Very quiet and with the 2.0 liter turbo, it move out like a sports car. On the road I'm getting a real 25-26 MPG, and about 21-22 MPG in city. The only thing I don't like is that it requires premium gas but, for me, that amounts to about $10/month.

Best car for under $25K

by BLC from Washington, DC | December 5, 2011

I've had the VW Tiguan for three months now and have driven extensively in DC and surrounding freeways. The car has plenty of power, and my 6'+ passengers have an incredible amount of leg room. The back seats are adjustable so there is a LOT of room for luggage, - even bikes (if necessary). It handles like a dream at any speed (I've only had it up to 75mph) and it is super easy to parallel park in the city. I bought the car for my daughter, as it has been a top safety pick for the last three years. With 3-yrs scheduled maintenance included in the price - it cannot be beat! We get approximately 24mpg in the city and 28-30 on the highway.

Misrepresented Wheels

by LowryPhoto from Cincinnati, OH | October 27, 2011

I prefer to drive a manual transmission, and wanted a small SUV. The only VW Tiguan available in the US with a manual transmission is the S version. No sunroof, no NAV system available, no SAT radio available, but at least it comes equipped with alloy wheels. Well at least it's supposed to according to VW's website. But every single Tiguan S with a manual transmission I have found on cars.com is being sold with steel wheels, with plastic wheel covers. Every single one. So VW is totally misrepresenting the facts when they show that Portland Alloy Wheels are standard equipment on their Tiguan S. And when you do a comparison with other vehicles in this segment you will find that KIA offers their Sportage S with both Alloy Wheels and a SAT radio as standard, and for $3500.00 less money. I might prefer to pay $3500.00 more for a VW to a KIA, if it was actually delivered with the equipment VW stated would be standard. But they are misrepresenting the facts on their website, and claim that they have posted a disclaimer which absolves them from any responsibility. Nice.