2014 Volkswagen Tiguan

18–21 city / 26 hwy

Overall

Need to Know

by VW Fan from Bluffton, SC | September 6, 2014

We had a 2011 Tiguan top of the line model with no problems. Traded it in for a mid level model 2014 and now nothing but...although manageable it is still very annoying. It seems that Volkwagon does not include an automatic shutoff for lights or windshield wipers in the midrange model. So after driving cars for the last 11 years with auto shutoff we now have a problem. We have had dead batteries on a regular basis and each time it is another aspect that does not shut off when the car is turned off. So, buyer beware...if you have gotten used to the auto shutoff Do NOT buy this model as you now will not remember to turn it off all the time and will end up with dead batteries on a regular basis! Wish we had known this was not a standard feature before we bought.

I love this car

by Middleaged Mom from Chattanooga TN | August 23, 2014

I have driven this car for the past five months and can honestly say I started looking for places to drive after the first trip around the block. I'm a middle-aged woman with grown children and the only negative I can think of is maybe the Tiguan would not be roomy enough for a large growing family. I have the SEL with backup camera, navigation and Fender speakers and love it. It is so fun to drive! The steering is precise, great brakes and I can blow most any other vehicle off the entrance ramp to the interstate. The interior is well appointed but easy to figure out. (I had an Audi Q5 a few years ago and never figured out how to set the clock) The Tiguan is not cheap, but it is well worth the price.

VW Customer Since 1986

by Tabitha Loyal VW Customer Since 1986 from Windermere, FL | July 15, 2014

I have owned three VW vehicles and with each new model I am even more impressed. I've lost two of my vehicles to speeding young drivers and I was blessed to be in such a safe a reliable brand. Customer for Life!

2 VW's

by TouaregLover from Denver, CO | June 2, 2014

I've owned the Touareg, it was a good car so bought a base 14 Tiguan, and this little car does pretty good. It handles well, gets better than advertised MPG in city and highway. It can be better at acceleration from the stop, and electric seats should be standard. Great car for the value, especially in Colorado or anywhere it snows.

next VW

by joho from Maryland | February 23, 2014

This is my 5th VW, we traded in a Tourege, for a smaller SUV as we now travel back and forth to a second home. I was surprised by the acceleration and power, it is very fast car. I thought the car was a little over priced for its size, but after driving it for almost a month now, I am very satisfied. After all it is a VW and not some Japanese piece of junk.

Top 3 Most fun cars I've owned

by Performance Type from South Florida | January 23, 2014

Tiguan SE I love this little SUV. I spent long hours on the road so I needed something confortable, while also a good power delivery and agile handling. So I basically needed a sedan/coupe, EXCEPT, due to the nature of my job, I needed a higher ground clearance. This is literally the ONLY vehicle (in its price range) that checked every one of those boxes. Compared with its direct competition Rav4, CR-V, etc. The one thing I have to point out that it is specially the most bang for dollar for someone who is performance oriented. If you are the "point A to point B" kind of person. You may find the other ones more fitting (better mileage, extra standard features, etc). My only con is that I've been hearing this little 'click' noise coming from the transmission or perhaps the differential. I already had their tech look into it without any findings. But the one I test drove didn't make this noise. Unfortunately this one does and it's been doing it from day one. So just make sure you test drive the one you will be taking home. That's all.

2014 Tiguan R

by Orimai from Denver, CO | December 21, 2013

We absolutely love this car. We looked at a new Toyota Rav4 Limited before we decided to finally purchase the Tiguan R. The Tiguan has a fantastic ride and it handles like a dream; typical VW handling makes it a blast for commute or long hauls. I have seen a lot of reviews about the nav being complicated, it's not at all once you get your hands on it. The interior is much higher quality than the Toyota and much higher quality materials/construction. The Tiguan is also much much quieter on the inside than the Rav which has a terrible amount of road/tire noise which made the Rav ride cheap. Everything is spot on and we will have this car for years to come. The only con I can even think of is the gas mileage. It is not all that great. We drive mostly on the highway and only get about 250-300 miles per tank. I'd rather pay that small amount in gas every year then deal with Toyota's's pokey, low quality and noisy Rav 4. Did I mention the turbocharged engine in the Tiguan polishes off the fun?

Lots of money but worth it

by buyingconstant7 from Alberta Canada | December 6, 2013

We bought a 2014 Tiguan SEL with the R-Line package for $40,000. That is a lot for a small SUV especially considering it doesn't have navigation or a backup camera as standard or a large trunk. Stability control also cant be defeated, traction control can though. However, despite these negative points, the Tiguan is a sold CUV, one of the best, thats why we chose it. Its handling is better than an 2014 Escapes but not as good as a CX-5. The rear leg room is also better than the Escapes. The rear trunk room is a bit small but at least it is very well lined. The engine feels very peppy, sounds throaty, and return OK mpg (I get 23 combined). Interior is fantastic with high quality materials, good features, and high levels of fit and finish. The tiguan suited our needs best. We need a clever AWD system(2nd best system next to the Forester), good quality interior, fun to drive, reliable, stylish. This has fit the bill like nothing Ford, Mazda, Toyota etc. could give us. Thank-you Volkswagen!